The " Charm Offensive"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As I reported a while ago, Zorba discussed a " charm offensive" with Barrett at Cafegate and I must say it seems to be working.

I'm a liker of a few Manly Facebook pages and you can really see people turning around.

A few on here, such as @BOZO and @The Wheel never needed charming in the first place but the majority in here certainly have, and you'd have to say apart from a few most have moved on with a " forget but never forgive" attitude.

To give credit where credit is due they have certainly pulled together a brand new side and coaching team in absolute record time, you can only imagine how some of the other sides must be shaking their heads in amazement.

Sadly the only downside to this is the very obvious " **** you" to the FC.

It's such a pity that they can't make peace with them as you can be assured they won't go away.

Anyway only time will tell if what they have done will bring results, I hope for us all that they do.

Realistically they had a plan, they executed it, the plan had goals and those goals were to stop the slide and not have a prolonged period of no success, Im all for it, you cant hold onto the past and I never begrudged the business decisions. The team needed the huge shake up for us to move forward and be competitive over the next few years. We lost my favourite Manly player in the process but at the end of the day, this is the price of success and Manly at its core is all about success

You can honestly say that the owners of the Sea Eagles have not been decisive in implementing the changes that were needed to address some glaring weaknesses in the team. It is a brutal business and you can say that they have the best interests of the club at heart. Some of the changes have been painful but if you are objective some of them were needed.

The charm offensive has to start by being fluid with their communication to the members of the club.

There also needs to be a constructive dialogue with football club to ensure that opinions are respected and that we all work to a common goal of ongoing success for the club.

The time for division and dysfunction have to end. We all want the same thing at the end of the day for our great club to be top of the shop!

It's funny, you know, there is a fair bit of arguing here, but I think most are of a similar fashion.

+ Toovey (whether you liked him or not as a coach or person), was treated very badly by the club, and that hurts us.

+ People don't seem to like Peter Peters (I have 0 idea why, nor any interest tbh)

+ People are gutted about the players being let go (or individual ones), but are excited about the new players that have come in

+ There are very mixed feelings on Barrett. He's an outsider, so rightly so. He will need to endear himself to the masses.

+ People are confident about our playing group, and are positive about finals footy again.

+ It's refreshing that the players all seem to want to be here, and playing for this great club, and that alone is enough for me next season win, lose or draw.

The clinical restructure was understood by most, as the dysfunctional Tigers and Rabbids players completed the missing elements of Manly on the field.@:cool:

However, the idea that Life Membership to a 69 year Community Organization, that is the very foundation of the Franchise, could be eradicated on a whim, has negated all goodwill in moving forward as a single unit.
It was arrogant, non productive and also not enforecable in Australian Corporate structures. Placing past recipients and present players (who are in favour with the Owners), into conflict :confused: A newly created Honour Roll would have been better.

Makes no sense in explicitly exluding Matty from a Franchise Life Membership (again nothing a corporation of shareholders can create anyway), who in fact reached his 200 games within 10 years critera. This merely highlighted the capricious nature of the selection process :swear:

Now it's all up to Baz and the Team to deliver their talents on the field :clap:

I am just looking forward to a great few years.

@Mark from Brisbane yes I have sent the light a long time ago. For me I had a feeling some major change was required- I wish the Tooves thing could have happened some other way. In terms of FC they are just getting some payback after years of giving the FU to the Penns and yes I wish both would move on!

Go Manly!

The rubbish tactics against the footy club is nonsense, rise above it Pennmen.
We are going into an exciting new era, but ala politics, it will only last while we are performing well and winning! Otherwise the knives will be out in record numbers. And unlike Toovey, if we play poorly, Barrett will be hung,drawn and quartered!!!
Personally, I prefer winning and us all singing Kumbaya :)

I think the biggest kick in the guts is now the owners have it their way we suddenly get good press. Which means they were, as suspected, behind most of the negative press.

its the do as I say not as I do lack of morals that really grinds most fans. The key characteristics of good managements are things like High morals standards, trust, integrity. These guys have none and that's the bottom line.

The rubbish tactics against the footy club is nonsense, rise above it Pennmen.
We are going into an exciting new era, but ala politics, it will only last while we are performing well and winning! Otherwise the knives will be out in record numbers. And unlike Toovey, if we play poorly, Barrett will be hung,drawn and quartered!!!
Personally, I prefer winning and us all singing Kumbaya :)
The first paragraph nails it. Good job on the rebuild Penns, but why stomp on the footy club? Win with grace.

However, the idea that Life Membership to a 69 year Community Organization, that is the very foundation of the Franchise, could be eradicated on a whim, has negated all goodwill in moving forward as a single unit.
It was arrogant, non productive and also not enforecable in Australian Corporate structures. Placing past recipients and present players (who are in favour with the Owners), into conflict :confused: A newly created Honour Roll would have been better.
This nails it for me.

I think the biggest kick in the guts is now the owners have it their way we suddenly get good press. Which means they were, as suspected, behind most of the negative press.

its the do as I say not as I do lack of morals that really grinds most fans. The key characteristics of good managements are things like High morals standards, trust, integrity. These guys have none and that's the bottom line.

And clearly shows where " the leak " has always been.

How many arguments have we had on here about that??

I'm sure the Franchise would love to see the demise of the FC but one things for sure, after 69 years they will be around long after Mr Fluffy & co are long gone.

In the interim we will continue to see the words " dysfunctional" used a fair bit, I think the non life members was just the start, in the new year it will be on again.

As I reported a while ago, Zorba discussed a " charm offensive" with Barrett at Cafegate and I must say it seems to be working.

I'm a liker of a few Manly Facebook pages and you can really see people turning around.

A few on here, such as @BOZO and @The Wheel never needed charming in the first place but the majority in here certainly have, and you'd have to say apart from a few most have moved on with a " forget but never forgive" attitude.

To give credit where credit is due they have certainly pulled together a brand new side and coaching team in absolute record time, you can only imagine how some of the other sides must be shaking their heads in amazement.

Sadly the only downside to this is the very obvious " **** you" to the FC.

It's such a pity that they can't make peace with them as you can be assured they won't go away.

Anyway only time will tell if what they have done will bring results, I hope for us all that they do.
Good honest post feathered friend . Yes credit must be given in the way they have built a most competitive team like no other club has done before and we should all be proud of that . We all should also be grateful at the money they have invested in our club but they must also show respect at the clubs proud foundation history and have some humility and grace and work together with the football club and show them the recognition they deserve . Yes they do own our club and I respect that as they were the ones that put their money where their mouth is and show how passionate they are about the Manly Sea eagles but no one can buy our great foundation history and the FC is and will always be part of that .
Like our slogan I believe we are stronger together as one and that is why I am a member of both the club and the FC . I hope both sides can sort it out and for those that are proud of our clubs great foundation history they can join the FC for only $25 a year and keep part of our great tradition going
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
11059440_947786021945500_6665840093732400263_n.jpg

It's funny, you know, there is a fair bit of arguing here, but I think most are of a similar fashion.

+ Toovey (whether you liked him or not as a coach or person), was treated very badly by the club, and that hurts us.

+ People don't seem to like Peter Peters (I have 0 idea why, nor any interest tbh)

+ People are gutted about the players being let go (or individual ones), but are excited about the new players that have come in

+ There are very mixed feelings on Barrett. He's an outsider, so rightly so. He will need to endear himself to the masses.

+ People are confident about our playing group, and are positive about finals footy again.

+ It's refreshing that the players all seem to want to be here, and playing for this great club, and that alone is enough for me next season win, lose or draw.

100% agree.

when its boiled down we all follow the club, and as Ryan says even though a few moves were not highly welcomed we will pretty much all be back again next season to support them.

For me, the jury's still out on whether they have actually "stopped the slide" and "given us a competitive team". I hope they have, but until this group of players actually plays a competitive game of rugby league, I'm not willing to make a call. In fact I'd prefer to see the side play six months of competitive rugby league. Right now all we have is hype and hope - lots of talk, lots of speculation. Winning the off-season means nothing. It's something I used to laugh at other clubs doing. I'd much prefer to win when it counts.

100% agree.

when its boiled down we all follow the club, and as Ryan says even though a few moves were not highly welcomed we will pretty much all be back again next season to support them.
I follow the team. The club, run by Penn & Co, I don't support and their continued destabilization of everything Manly is beyond a joke. What happened with "Staff member of the year awards" is disgraceful.
I have said before i love my team I dont like this mob.

Realistically they had a plan, they executed it, the plan had goals and those goals were to stop the slide and not have a prolonged period of no success, Im all for it, you cant hold onto the past and I never begrudged the business decisions. The team needed the huge shake up for us to move forward and be competitive over the next few years. We lost my favourite Manly player in the process but at the end of the day, this is the price of success and Manly at its core is all about success
Yeah, I was sorry to see Cheyse Blair and Hasson go as well ......

Good honest post feathered friend . Yes credit must be given in the way they have built a most competitive team like no other club has done before and we should all be proud of that . We all should also be grateful at the money they have invested in our club but they must also show respect at the clubs proud foundation history and have some humility and grace and work together with the football club and show them the recognition they deserve . Yes they do own our club and I respect that as they were the ones that put their money where their mouth is and show how passionate they are about the Manly Sea eagles but no one can buy our great foundation history and the FC is and will always be part of that .
Like our slogan I believe we are stronger together as one and that is why I am a member of both the club and the FC . I hope both sides can sort it out and for those that are proud of our clubs great foundation history they can join the FC for only $25 a year and keep part of our great tradition going
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
View attachment 2847
Thanks Zorb

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4