The charge down stand-down: referee and touch judge dumped after Sharks slip-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Referee Jared Maxwell and touch judge Jason Walsh have been dropped for an incorrect decision that Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan claims cost his team victory against the Wests Tigers yesterday.
After reviewing the match, referees coaches Stuart Raper and Bill Harrigan declared that Maxwell had incorrectly penalised the Sharks for offside following a charge-down in golden-point time.

Read the full article

Some tough calls - but there was a four foot forward pass that lead to a Sharks try. Still the call at the end offside for a charge down -under eights would know that's not possible - was a joke.

Refs make mistakes. It will happen in every match we ever watch. I can cop that if it happens in the heat of battle. The Video ref was brought in to make the game perfect. It hasn't made any difference. Sure, it might have been able to tell that Wolfie's foot was a whisker from the sideline, but it took an age for the decision to be reached. The ref and touch judge had already got that call right.
There are tries scored every week from forward passes, but the video ref can't rule on that. I think the money spent on video refs could be better used.

I also think the raiders were dudded. Refs do make mistakes, but jesus with the amount of refs on and off the field these days, you would think they would get most right.

As The Who said, it's the nature of the beast.
We didn't like it when the video ref used to tip the onfield ref for indiscretions etc which caused stoppages so we can't have it both ways.
I don't know what people think of Wayne Bennett but the wise old one once said something like "nothings perfect in the world so stop looking for the perfect game".
Yep, refs will make mistakes, players will make mistakes, coaches will make mistakes. F%$k knows I even tipped the Cowboys in a last man standing comp, they cost me $20.
If that charge down call was in some nondescript minute during the second half, is it less consequential? Probably, but no less important.
We won and we could nitpick that game to death too.
It's Rd 1, there's 25 more Rds to go.

Good on Hollywood for making the refs accountable. That's all we've ever asked for. Under finch this would have been Iraqi information minister stuff.... No problem here, ref got it right, he'll be named next week.

At least horse head maxwell might learn something from this

I'd like to see the line runners raise their flags when a forward pass is made. Like in Soccer for offside. Strange that the line runner was in perfect position to adjudge Wolfie's foot but the ref still sent it up to that idiot in the box. Some do, some don't apparently. No consistency even with referrals.

Sure the refs are gunna make mistakes just like players do, but For mine they should be accountable post game to explain why they ruled how they did.
Also I cant understand how Gallen & the Gummies coach can say the ref cost them the match & not wear a fine??? They may be right - it was a major stuff up but why is it some seem to complain blatently & get away with it while others dont. It must be noone likes cement trucks but its gotta stay consistent in this area also.

I watched part of the game on Fox. If I have to hear that the 'Tigers are premiership favourites' again I'll spew.

That was why I didn't watch it all.

From what I've seen this week we know who the premiership favourites will be. Manly, Warriors and the rest are reggies compared to that. Although there may be some injuries and other bad ref calls that will make it a bit more even.

Even Bob Fulton 2GB said something similar - "not on what I've seen today."

They had to be dropped cause this one isn't a judgement error but a rule error and that is just embarrassing.

I see the video ref for the Raiders game has been dropped as well

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4