The benefit of Taupau's departure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
As the Wests Tigers commenced pre-season training for the 2016 NRL season on Monday coach Jason Taylor and senior forward Aaron Woods outlined a core benefit of the departure of Martin Taupau, with the former labelling it a "simple decision".

While he wouldn't have had to report to pre-season training considering his duties with the Kiwis are far from over, there was still a notable absence at Tigers training in Taupau who last week signed a four-year deal with Manly.

Now handed the ability to shore up the Tigers' young talent long-term, Taylor was happy to stick to his guns in allowing the 25-year-old depart.

"In the end Marty's was a decision which was based around what's best for the club going forward," Taylor said.

"We made a good offer to Marty, we were comfortable our offer was on the money so when he decided he would move on that was fine and that was always going to happen in 2017.

"Then it became a decision as far as letting Marty go early which could really help us in securing some of best young players. Not just best players, but best forwards which is where Marty plays.

"To have kept him for another year and then risk losing some of those guys, it would've been a really silly decision for the club to have made so it became a simple decision."

With forwards Manaia Cherrington, Kyle Lovett and Lamar Liolevave making their NRL debuts last season, Taylor is confident in the club's depth for the season ahead.

Furthermore the club has signed Sea Eagle Michael Chee-Kam, Ipswich Jets duo Rod Griffin and Billy McConnachie and Raider Joel Edwards for 2016 to bulk up the Tigers' forward pack.

On top of that, the club is expected to sign former State of Origin and Manly hooker Matt Ballin this week.

"It's right that the club is in talks with Matt Ballin. Nothing has been finalised there but it's getting fairly close and that just means there is really good competition," Taylor said.

"I've talked numerous times about a lack of depth at the club we have had in the past and we have worked really hard in the off-season to build on that.

"With the squad assembling here [on Monday] there were a number of guys that have an attitude of I want to play in this first grade team and that's why I'm here.

"There's not just 17 of those, there's 30-odd and that makes for great competition for positions right across the team and that's how we'll move forward."

Woods went on to sing the praises of some of the Tigers' untapped potential, and was excited by the possibility of both young and old in veteran Ballin.

"There's a couple of young front-rowers like JJ Felise who are going to be good players but need a big pre-season to bulk up a bit and get their fitness levels right," Woods said.

"Our depth is going to be good especially with the couple of players we have bought as well from Ipswich so I think we'll be right.

"We have a lot of good young guys coming through. We have big Dallas Graham too who missed a lot of last year due to a shoulder reconstruction.

"[As for Ballin] he'll add a bit of experience. That's probably the only thing we didn't have as much of after losing a couple of players over the last few years."

http://www.nrl.com/the-benefit-of-taupaus-departure/tabid/10874/newsid/90723/default.aspx

Taylor can say want he wants and we are wrapped to have secured taupau but he will be the first coach sacked . And as much as we all loved m ballin and all really know he had to move on jeez I feel sorry for him going to that rubble.

Letting Marty go is a big call for the Tigpies but a decisive one. I realise now that as soon as Foran has signed with the whinging worms we should have done some sort of deal to get him out of the club as he was useless to us in 2015.

You need players who are committed to the cause and I think that now Manly are free of players who dont want to be here we will fly again!

The benefit of Kapow's departure is that Manly now have monster in our pack. I hope our trainers can get him fitter so he spends more time on the field, and also improve his defence. Hopefully Manly is what this guy's career needs.
I would love a photo wearing my jersey standing between Kapow and Skivi. That would be a keeper.

Yep unfortunately we always seemed to be a couple of steps behind the pace across the board. Time will tell, but we are building nicely.

So Taylor sees no point keeping the best players at the Tigers for a 2016 tilt? Those comments would read to a fan that he's already given up on next season and is already making excuses into 2017.

The benefit of Kapow's departure is that Manly now have monster in our pack. I hope our trainers can get him fitter so he spends more time on the field, and also improve his defence. Hopefully Manly is what this guy's career needs.
I would love a photo wearing my jersey standing between Kapow and Skivi. That would be a keeper.
I would love a photo like that as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4