The back page

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Crusher_Cleal link said:
...  you have to look at the situation objectively. Would you give a regular person of the community (or even a footballer from another side) the same level of support? Would you take as much offense to what the media is doing with the story? I'd say not.
Get real, Crusher.  Would "a regular person of the community" be subjected to trial by media and vilification by media like Stewart has been?  The media cares ZIP for the girl.  ZIP.  ZIP.  ZIP.  If this was  "a regular person of the community" do you think the media would give it any airing at all?  

The issue here is trial by media and its highly promoted presumption of guilt.  Why does the media presume and promote the belief of guilt?  Because it is in the girl's interests?  Or because it is in the media's interests?

If the media applied appropriate presumption of innocence, how many papers would that sell?

Until we see clearly what the media is doing, we are their puppets.  They tell us what to think and we think it.  They tell us what to emote and we emote it. They tell us what to believe and we believe it.  They tell us what to do and we do it.  Their profession is to know exactly which strings to pull, how hard and when. And to do it without our awareness.

Would you emote as strongly when some nameless person in Uganda dies, or when a good mate dies?  That's called empathy. And empathy starts with people you know and can relate to.

Crusher_Cleal link said:
Obviously one is innocent until proven guilty. But one also has to remember that there is another party to all of this too (the girl's)

And ask any psychiatrist, psychologist or counsellor whether the media's treatment of this case is helpful to the girl.  The answer will be a resounding NO.  Whether she's a victim or a false accuser, the answer will be the same.  If she were a victim (and remember this IS an "IF") then having it publicly relived every day in the media is among the worst outcomes possible.

Getting someone to relive a traumatic experience daily, is a very dangerous thing to do.  If you want to turn a minor sore into a gaping septic wound then keep digging at it.

Crusher_Cleal link said:
While we all love Brett because of what he does for Manly on the football field (and I have heard he helps kids with diabetes too, although am not aware to what extent), you have to look at the situation objectively. Would you give a regular person of the community (or even a footballer from another side) the same level of support? Would you take as much offense to what the media is doing with the story? I'd say not. Obviously one is innocent until proven guilty. But one also has to remember that there is another party to all of this too (the girl's)

With regards to the girl, she will get her chance in court. If he indeed found guilty she will also have the chance to celebrate.

In a way Brett's performance was a blessing for the girl. To me it seems that she doesn't want the media attention that was brought her way. With Stewarts outstanding performance more attention is paid towards his performance and less attention is directed to her.

Brett also received overwhelming support from the fanbase mainly due to all the powers in the game neglecting his rights and handing him down an unbelievable suspension. It was a great relief for all of us.

It looks like that Paul Kent is frustrated that he can't dish out anymore injustices towards Brett. The Back Page is a useful avenue for him to stick the boot in.

I do wonder how Paul Kent and his ruthless media mates sleep at night. What do they tell themselves about the damage they inflict?

Rex link said:
I do wonder how Paul Kent and his ruthless media mates sleep at night. What do they tell themselves about the damage they inflict?

Rex - That's a good question and your 100% correct my answer is ****ed if i know mate.

rothfields blog top 10 lemons of 09 so far he had a shot at manly for letting beav go and a shot at T-rex so here was my reply. I had to suck up a bit to get it published.

without a doubt the lemon of 09 is your work mate Paul Kent for his disgraceful rant at manly fans and brett stewart on the back page. A close second would be his allegation that manly players have misbehaved before only for it to be covered up by the security company the clubs minder works for in his article "manly need to harden up"

I cant believe a bloke like that works alongside respected league journos like you and dean richie.

The bloke is a disgrace.

Im so glad we live in a democracy like australia and not the peoples republic of Paul Kent.

Paul Kent isnt half the person Brett Stewart is and i cant wait to see the egg on his face when Brett gets his day in court.

I missed it (luckily) but geez, haven't the media got their pound of flesh already???

They are just all miserable human beings, the whole lot of them.

They just make everything "sensational"...and don't give a toss about the affect it has on any of the individual's, including (in this case) the accuser.

To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that I live where I live and need to watch the football they could stick their Foxtel up their bums!!

Brett served his suspension if they have a problem with the nrls decision on what should have happened then they should blame gallop.Ps isn't gibson a bears supporter if i remember.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2