The 2008 Season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Quirkster

The People's Champion
I'm watching the highlights of that magnificent year.

Geez we were good. I've got to say that Michael Robertson was so underrated. He was one of the best finishers of a try that I've seen for a long time. He always got it down from the most difficult circumstances.

Watching the lads light it up is fantastic. I just hope that Ox gets through this nightmare. He was a brilliant servant to us.

Killa, Snake, Beaver, all in their prime (Beaver was always in his prime).

I'll tell you what, though. We tried some odd players at 5/8th.

Matai, Watmough, Beaver, Killa (of course), and I think there was another one.

I was 20 metres away from Beaver when he scored his last try in the Grand Final. That was easily the best day of my life.

Geez we were good. I've got to say that Michael Robertson was so underrated. He was one of the best finishers of a try that I've seen for a long time. He always got it down from the most difficult circumstances.

Watching the lads light it up is fantastic. I just hope that Ox gets through this nightmare. He was a brilliant servant to us.

I was 20 metres away from Beaver when he scored his last try in the Grand Final. That was easily the best day of my life.
Yes how sweet a day it was indeed. I thought we'd win but I didn't see that coming !!
And the Beaver try... magical !!
To add to the fun I have a massive fear of heights and literally had to pump 4 plastic schooies into me to get the guts to climb up to the nose bleed section...
With 4 more to watch the game with.
The best day ever !!!

Greatest ever grand final. There were 60000 manly supporters there that day just loving it. I had never seen so many Manly supporters in the one place. Special day. As was 2011.

Storm were better in 2007 however I will never get over 2013. We were robbed that day.

95 and 97 still hurt as well. 96 was also magical

Notice the difference with the way we used to play, and today?
We have no backline moves, sleight-of-hand, speed, now. All we rely on is a 19-year-old with a crook ankle. When he doesn't fire we are toothless in attack.

There is an annoying acquaintance amongst my circle that is a Melb fan who delights in bagging everybody when their team loses. About 2 months ago I started telling blokes every time he pisses you off, or for no reason whatsoever, just text him the following ... 40-0.

He bailed me up at coffee about 2 weeks ago and begged me to call everybody off ... it's no longer funny he said.

F..k him. It gets funnier every day!!

Robbo as Danny Moore, Choc/Gift/Beaver as Kosef/Gartner/Beaver, Ox as Tooves, Matai/Lyon as Hill/Innes, Kite as Cement. And I haven't even got to Brett. 2008 was a great team.

There is an annoying acquaintance amongst my circle that is a Melb fan who delights in bagging everybody when their team loses. About 2 months ago I started telling blokes every time he pisses you off, or for no reason whatsoever, just text him the following ... 40-0.

He bailed me up at coffee about 2 weeks ago and begged me to call everybody off ... it's no longer funny he said.

F..k him. It gets funnier every day!!
Give us his number

When the ASADA story began with every channel deliberately not completely blotting out Manly in footage, implicating we had cheated, my heart sank. During that uproar I kept thinking please don't take 2008 off us.
Despite rubbing the club's name through the mud and leading the whole rugby league world to think Manly had cheated the truth to the story is that they we're just that bloody good. It was even sweeter because Super League had nearly destroyed our club.
Thank you for saving Manly Mr Delmege.
That day makes all the ups and down of being a Manly supporter worth every second.
I hope we don't have to wait too long to be smoking hot again.

Awesome year 2008, I forgot Menzies was the 6 for a lot of games (11). Robson also slotted in there 1 game. Funny Matai & Watmough got a crack there over Gift.

Most Points - Matt Orford (169)
Most Goals - Matt Orford (78)
Most Tries - Brett Stewart (22) (most NRL)
Most Games - Matt Ballin (27) Micheal Robertson (27)
Rookies - David Williams
2nd Year Players - Matt Ballin, Micheal Bani, Vic Mauro, Shane Neumann
1st year with Manly - Heath L'estrange, Josh Perry, David Vaealiki
Last Year with Manly - Jack Afamasga, Steve Bell, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, Mark Bryant, Steve Menzies, Phil Morwood, Jeff Robson, David Vaealiki, Luke Williamson

You must've been pretty close to us then. We were in that corner, just magical day. So far removed from this year's debacle.
Had a long conversation with Max Delmege the other day. Thanked him for saving us and delivering those golden days. He lamented on how greed and self serving had taken over from the days when he wanted the club to be for the supporters first and not the owners or administration.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6