The 1981 'brawl'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Noticed in the Telegraph (p130) that the current admin can't stand the fact that Manly, in 1981, stood up to the rubbish from Newtown and belted them. I call it giving back better than what you got.  I guess they think that showing some aggression on the field in not the current go.  Call me a dinosaur if you like, but I remember that game and it made me feel proud that we stood up to the dirty play of the bluehags and beat the crap out of them.  I guess Mayer would be ashamed of the way Randell, Reilly and the rest of the dinosaurs played back then.  Pity really.

That is what footy is and should be about.

Bring back the Biff!

Terry Randall got sent off for kicking one of the grubs in the head & broke his foot in the process LOL

That brawl cost us the game - I was there on the hill. We took another 50 mins to play footy after that and never really recovered. The rumour before the game was that the best way to beat Manly was to start something up in the first scrum.

Parra went on to beat Newtown for their first premiership despite us drawing 28 all or so at Cumberland Oval the weekend before the semis.

Different era though to lose Randall hurt Manly badly - he was the heart and soul of our forwards.

DSM5 link said:
Noticed in the Telegraph (p130) that the current admin can't stand the fact that Manly, in 1981, stood up to the rubbish from Newtown and belted them. I call it giving back better than what you got.  I guess they think that showing some aggression on the field in not the current go.  Call me a dinosaur if you like, but I remember that game and it made me feel proud that we stood up to the dirty play of the bluehags and beat the crap out of them.  I guess Mayer would be ashamed of the way Randell, Reilly and the rest of the dinosaurs played back then.  Pity really.
Ah i was their i remember loosing the game & broadhurst getting belted by bowden.

I was 12 and vaguely remember it, still thuggery and the game and society has changed a lot since then.

I saw "the final winter" the other day, is pretty relevant to that sort of thing, the game changing.

1981....I was born!

Infact when that game was played I was still swimming in my mothers womb!

Fro link said:
I was 12 and vaguely remember it, still thuggery and the game and society has changed a lot since then.

Society hasn't changed much and in fact violence is becomming more prevelant.  Go down to the corso any friday or saturday night and see that thuggery hasn't changed in the past 30 years.

Pigs ass Tookey Violence is still around as it was then. its not more or less. its not becoming more prevelant it is just being reported more. the exception is women being violent. THAT is far more common than it was.

I don't know what you are actually trying to say though, in one sentence you say violence is becoming more prevalent, and then you say it hasnt changed in 30 yrs.

My point was that Society has changed in the way the game is viewed, the behaviour that was on show that day would not be tolerated, and I am not saying if that is right or wrong.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Nutzcraw link=topic=177610.msg186197#msg186197 date=1212640716]
In 81' I hadn't even started swimming in my dad's nuts yet!

Pretty sure there was some breaststroke going on.
[/quote]

:-X

hahaha nice one mate!

On field violence has become sanitised as community attitudes have changed and it is more to do with mums and kids playing footy.

Off field, violence in society hasn't changed that much. Look at the stats from the police and not much has altered over the years.

**** that. I want the biff back, anyone who says they didn't enjoy or don't enjoy seeing an on field biff, is either gay, a Roosters supporter, or female

Many would agree with you Dan but the politically correct media and mums who read the papers make decision ons whether their kids play the game.

It is not a matter of reality but perception and with the threat of AFL, Soccer etc, there are not as many young kids playing the game.

I should also mention sponsorship dollars, as not many companies want to be associated with negative publicity from on-field violence. Why do you think Les Boyd was rubbed out? A few years ago an on-field all-in-brawl led to the Commonwealth Bank dropping their sponsorship of the schoolboy knockout on the spot.

Nothing wrong with the biff in my opinion. It sort of reminded me in comparism of the old gadiator days at the colosseum where everyone cheered for the kill. Tell me, what's the difference between seeing a fight at a boxing match and one on the footy field. To me, a brawl on the footie field always brought a bit of excitement to the game, especially during a SOO match. Now days, SOO matches are so boring unless your side is thrashing the other.

I was only 2 at the time of this game but have seen some footage of it.  I also have a Jets shirt with both teams named on the back.

whats the difference??

A boxing match is a fight, a footy game is not, the object of a footy match is to beat the other team, the object of boxing is to hurt someone.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6