The 11 - 1 penalty even up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Do they honestly believe that leading 10 nil and on top we suddenly decide to change our game plan and infringe left right and center?

And the sharks play almost perfect footy from then on?

There is a huge disconnect there and as Tooves has said previously there really should be an investigation.This is why crowds are down.

Do they honestly believe that leading 10 nil and on top we suddenly decide to change our game plan and infringe left right and center?

And the sharks play almost perfect footy from then on?

There is a huge disconnect there and as Tooves has said previously there really should be an investigation.This is why crowds are down.
What was our game plan? Anyone? Someone?

Look let's not attack Tooves, or Hodges here in this thread.

This here witch hunt was started with those idiots "officials" firmly tied to the stake and standing on a pile of wood whilst drunken footy fans circled around chanting "Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnlyyyy" holding on to burning torches, sputtering away with pitch and smoking up your lounge rooms (or clicking furiously away at a mouse!).

I can't remember who it was but they posted last week that we will get to "12-0 then the penalties will go their way until they get the lead..." **not verbatim**

They then quoted themselves in the game thread after we'd got to 10-0 and they just got a massive run of truly subjective penalties: no black and white infringements just "too long" or even blowing a penalty and saying "one, two, three, get off!! Too slow" when clearly there was no difference to the previous tackle.

Personally I think it's time Tooves spent $10k on a good old fashioned rant and squarely aim at these inconsistent, biased fools.

Look let's not attack Tooves, or Hodges here in this thread.

This here witch hunt was started with those idiots "officials" firmly tied to the stake and standing on a pile of wood whilst drunken footy fans circled around chanting "Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnlyyyy" holding on to burning torches, sputtering away with pitch and smoking up your lounge rooms (or clicking furiously away at a mouse!).

I can't remember who it was but they posted last week that we will get to "12-0 then the penalties will go their way until they get the lead..." **not verbatim**

They then quoted themselves in the game thread after we'd got to 10-0 and they just got a massive run of truly subjective penalties: no black and white infringements just "too long" or even blowing a penalty and saying "one, two, three, get off!! Too slow" when clearly there was no difference to the previous tackle.

Personally I think it's time Tooves spent $10k on a good old fashioned rant and squarely aim at these inconsistent, biased fools.

It was Mickqld and he was only slightly wrong stating 14 nil when it was 10 nil in reality

The refs give penalties in clumps, we saw today at 10-0 and later 22-4 this happen and you see inconsistency from the officials that cost teams. The stripping rule is a farce and absolute lottery now. I feel for the refs cause they are not allowed to use their instincts now and coaches are not able to objectively point out mistakes, the video refs are worse. you see a decision sometimes and you wonder how the hell they came up with it.

I feel for the refs cause they are not allowed to use their instincts now and coaches are not able to objectively point out mistakes, the video refs are worse. you see a decision sometimes and you wonder how the hell they came up with it.

I've got to disagree with you here (though I won't give you a negative rating for your empathy!) as there's no_frikken_way I feel for these jumped up little pricks who are blowing whistles these days.

They desperately avoid making real decisions on black and white things like off side, correct play the ball and walking off the mark and replace those calls with subjective "ruck infringement" rules applied unfairly and inconsistently throughout a game, constantly favouring one team or the other in a fairly blatant manner: and all too often it's where the scoreboard is at that governs their decision making.

Why does possession ALWAYS even up? If team (A) drops the ball for their first three sets in possession on the first tackle, team (B) should effectively remain 3 sets "ahead"
In the possession stakes (assuming ceterus parabus of course). Yet invariably the stats wind up reasonably close: the only real exception I've seen this year was in the Broncos v Scum game, where the Scum ended with much more ball. My guess is that the ref's didn't know which protected species to penalize so they did the next best thing: nothing.

Personally I'm just really goddamned SICK of games being decided by who capatilises on the momentum GIFTED them by the referees instead of a game being taken by the scruff of the neck by the players who are actually paid large amounts of money to do so. I miss the days of a Johns or a Langer or a Blake or Cliffy just taking control and owning a game, while the referees controlled just three things: the 10 meters, the foul play and counted tackles. Other than that they let the game flow... Now?? The whistle blowers think that THEY are the stars!! Look at Badger's ridiculous "look at me" hair cut!! Hartley never had weird hair. Annesly had good hair. Bronco Billy Harrigon and flowing locks but not *that* bad...and he was a decent referee.

Footy used to be about how good a footy player you were, not how well you adhered to some truly awful ruck rules developed in a knee jerk reaction to complaints of sooks like Bellamy, Bennet and Hasler et al.

Grrrrrr.... //end rant.

I've got to disagree with you here (though I won't give you a negative rating for your empathy!) as there's no_frikken_way I feel for these jumped up little pricks who are blowing whistles these days.

They desperately avoid making real decisions on black and white things like off side, correct play the ball and walking off the mark and replace those calls with subjective "ruck infringement" rules applied unfairly and inconsistently throughout a game, constantly favouring one team or the other in a fairly blatant manner: and all too often it's where the scoreboard is at that governs their decision making.

Why does possession ALWAYS even up? If team (A) drops the ball for their first three sets in possession on the first tackle, team (B) should effectively remain 3 sets "ahead"
In the possession stakes (assuming ceterus parabus of course). Yet invariably the stats wind up reasonably close: the only real exception I've seen this year was in the Broncos v Scum game, where the Scum ended with much more ball. My guess is that the ref's didn't know which protected species to penalize so they did the next best thing: nothing.

Personally I'm just really goddamned SICK of games being decided by who capatilises on the momentum GIFTED them by the referees instead of a game being taken by the scruff of the neck by the players who are actually paid large amounts of money to do so. I miss the days of a Johns or a Langer or a Blake or Cliffy just taking control and owning a game, while the referees controlled just three things: the 10 meters, the foul play and counted tackles. Other than that they let the game flow... Now?? The whistle blowers think that THEY are the stars!! Look at Badger's ridiculous "look at me" hair cut!! Hartley never had weird hair. Annesly had good hair. Bronco Billy Harrigon and flowing locks but not *that* bad...and he was a decent referee.

Footy used to be about how good a footy player you were, not how well you adhered to some truly awful ruck rules developed in a knee jerk reaction to complaints of sooks like Bellamy, Bennet and Hasler et al.

Grrrrrr.... //end rant.
I agree with you that the referees have a lot to do with where the momentum in a game goes. We saw that today at times and it is frustrating to see a team rewarded when they have not necessarily earn't it.

The walking off the mark, play the balls, are not policed, I do not like the players being allowed to replay playing the ball when its been lost, it happened to day when the sharks playing catc up coughed it up and were allowed to play it, so what happens? penalty later in the set and atry results soon after, thats what shifts momentum in games.

I agree with you that the referees have a lot to do with where the momentum in a game goes. We saw that today at times and it is frustrating to see a team rewarded when they have not necessarily earn't it.

The walking off the mark, play the balls, are not policed, I do not like the players being allowed to replay playing the ball when its been lost, it happened to day when the sharks playing catc up coughed it up and were allowed to play it, so what happens? penalty later in the set and atry results soon after, thats what shifts momentum in games.
Yep. They make a mistake but then compound that error by sticking with the plan: ie, only THIS team can be pinged right now so we will let things go so as to avoid gifting the "wrong" team any momentum.

The director of refs has stated that the refs are competent, well after watching last weekends games and this weekend.I must have been watching different games to him. Players walking off the mark players not back the 10 meters fwd passes I can understand missing some of them (having been a ref for 20 years I have some empathy for the whistle blowers, but never had the pleasure of being miced up )but when the video ref has a replay and still cant get it right I get a tad upset. So since the refs are competent then they must be making mistakes deliberately and either evening up or they are on the take. and as Tooves has said there has to be an inquiry

On Monday night on MMM Bill Harrigan was saying that Ben Cummins was doing a great job keeping the defence back 12-13m to allow for the player walking forward to play the ball and this way it all evens up and the defence is actually 10m back when the ball is played.

He of course made no reference to the markers being taken out of the play and how the tackler is forced to wrestle more to give them a chance to get to marker.

Just idiotic thinking that demonstrates how refereeing has been going in the wrong direction since he was in charge.

Grrrrrr.... //end rant.

Agree with except the part where you stated that harrigan was a decent ref I attended a clinic he was holding down here and I asked him about some of "his rules" , he replied "Im here to entertain not referee " He was nothing but a show pony who started what I believe was the down hill slide in refereeing . Bozo said it right "hope he gets run over by a cement truck"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the game today and in the first grade warm ups before the game I noticed Tony Chalmers (Chanel 9 floor manager) talking to Ashley Klien. It pretty much looked like Chalmers was telling Klien what to do. I 100% agree that they control games much like a WWE referee. Some of those penalties we had against us were very ordinary and they were way slower then us in the ruck.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6