Texas Hold'em

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Texas Hold'em

Interesting to read the exploits of Nutz and The Gronk playing in tournies with good success.

I thought I would get a thread going on anyone interested in poker.

I played as a youngster almost every day after school for years and love the game. It is a great measure of understanding people and their motivations. I must admit to losing some friends when i discovered their real personalties playing poker (ie tightarses, plain mean etc) but in general it is a fantastic game for challenging the brain and forming friendships.

I only became involved with Texas Hold'em online about 1 year ago and it really is a great game. My wife has finished 2nd and 5th in tournies with over 1400 people and I have got to the last table a few times and usually make the top 50 with those sorts of numbers playing.

For those that play online which sites do you like best? I joined the WPTonline and they have basically ring games and one day when they crashed a few times i signed up with Pokerstars which plays 10 man table tournies and is really a fantastic site. I have also joined PokerPages but the software doesn't seem as good but they sure have a lot of players.

I would also be interested in anyone's thoughts on playing real life tournies as i have never done that and how it compares with online.

Texas Hold'em

Yeah I play a fair bit online as well. I find pokerstars to be the best site. If you want to take some money off me on there you can search for gronk2006.

imo the live game is completely different though. The personality part of poker comes into it a lot more, and at the pub games people play a lot more carefully. I guess its because they have had to make the effort to go down to the pub to play, so they don't want to go out on the second hand, whereas online people will call with anything sometimes.

There are a few pub leagues going around these days, I think the most professionally run one is the Australian Poker League. The reason it can be hard to do consistently well is that the blinds double every 15 minutes. It means you have to play pretty aggressively or you will be short stacked pretty quickly. it usually takes about 3.5 hours to get through the tournament.

I haven't played a tourney for serious money though-that's a whole different game again.

Texas Hold'em

Actual tournies teach you to be a smarter poker player. Online you can hold the same strategy start to finish and it wont make too much difference, whereas real life you need to be constantly changing your strategy as the game progresses.

I have played a few APL tournaments (including with The Gronk) and I imagine he would agree, you need to get a couple of decent hands early on, otherwise it is too hard to come back later on. BTW get used to bad beats also, 10 handed poker can be a bitch.

Texas Hold'em

Yeah i use pokerstars to gronk... Nutzcraw is me (just to change it up) if you wanna have a game and i'm online just join in although i normally play tournaments, you get more serious players especially in the 50,000 tournaments... and i've also got the mighty eagles as my emblem!!

Yeah i am in the Australian Poker League aswell.... It's good fun but have started to find that there is alot of players who really don't have much of an idea and must just be playing cuz they were asked to join while sitting there sinking beers. The bad players i find are alot harder to dodge than the good players. I've used pokerstars for a few years now and i love it.. i haven't delved into the money yet.. just using "play money" but i find it a good way to touch up on your skills... when i first started i wasjust playing the cards i have.. now i play the opponent alot more and find it more successful... i guess this is where you run into trouble with the novices as it's hard to get a read of them by how they bet because they have no idea themselves :lol:

It's all good fun and a mate and i have decided that we are going to use the APL to get some better "live" skills aswell as touching up online and are going to get ourselves prepared for the 2008 Aussie Millions down in crown.... hopefully we both make it.. if not it'll be a good trip anyway.

Texas Hold'em

Yeah spud is right-get used to bad beats 10 handed. Also going in hard early to gete some chips is a good ploy so long as you don't mind going home after ten minutes.

Coming to Crown hey nutz? As a mexican it sounds like I might have to drag myself down to the monstrosity as well.

As with any poker conversation, bad beat stories are never too far away. Here's one to kick things off-

The other night there were 3 spades on the table including the ace. I had two spades in my hand, including the queen, so I had the flush. There was only one card in the pack that could beat me, the king of spades and also the guy had to have a second spade to have the higher flush. The odds of this must have been similar to Souths going through undefeated next year......so yeah....I am still cut about that one.

Texas Hold'em

My favorite hand in the last month was when I was SB and limped in, with 6h 7h. F lop came out 3h 4h 5h. Now that is what I call the absolute nuts. Slow played and 2 others went all in. Sweet hand.

Had some bad beats too, hate the 4 card flushers.

Texas Hold'em

IMO opinion if your willing to bet more than 1/3 off your chips on a flush draw your a pathetic player.

One thing i can vouch for is that i have played a few tournaments and everytime i've had to go all in.. at the point of going all in i have been ahead.

Did anyone watch the WPT last friday night??

JC Tran had the worst beat i have ever seen...

He had Ac Ad... and was raised all in by a bloke who had pocket 5's (5s 5h).

The flop was 10c, 7c, 2c

Turn was a 8h

This put JC Tran as about a 97% leader in the hand as the only card the other bloke could hit was the 5 of diamonds because JC tran had the nut flush draw.

Surely enough.. on the river ..... 5d hits.

JC Trans tournament was over.... that's the worst beat i have ever seen.

Texas Hold'em

Ouch about that one Nutz.

I thought I would post a way I use to work out the odds of a draw coming through. What you do is count the number of outs you have, and after the flop multiply this number by four, or after the turn multiply this number by two. This gives you an approximate percentage of your draw coming through.

eg. If you have a flush draw:

number of outs=9
after flop %chance of winning =9x4=36%
after turn %chance of winning =9x2=18%

The best draw is an open ended straight flush draw where the pairs are high enough to hold up as well. Number of outs = 21.
%chance after flop=84%
after turn=42%

People use this in conjunction with the pot odds to work out when to call.....but I think there is more to it all than just the stats.

Texas Hold'em

Yeah i find by the way people bet and after sitting back and watching for a while i can get a fairly good grasp on what they are holding

Texas Hold'em

The odds of a flush draw after 2 in the hand and two on the flop is 2.7 - 1. For a open ended str8 is 2.9 - 1. These are close to your stats. Makes you realise that in general you are going to be succesful only 1 in 3 hands so all those allin calls from punters are pretty stupid.
Play a woman and if betting 90% of the time they made their hand. Most players are too predictable and go for the long shots and u have them covered but the river can be a bitch. I honestly hate the 4 drop flushers, 4 drop str8s and those that think a low pair is a gift from heaven (really only if they hit trips).
The real issue at a senior level is playing the mind of opponents - but that is not an issue where we play but is important in heads up. Mix the game up and do the maths.
Doesn't mean I am very good but just love the game.

Texas Hold'em

I hate those pussies who only ever bet when they've got a full house or better. You can sit there and do the same but it'd take all f*cken night, and you just want to hit the p*ss on the town already, but because they're a gimp they'll just sit there, wait, wait, wait, wait until everyone else gets bored sh*tless, so they all go stupid and all of a sudden your money is gone and this gronk is talking about how the winnings should go along way to a big night on beer when you know it's going straight to a guava cruiser or 3.

Texas Hold'em

I hate those pussies who only ever bet when they've got a full house or better. You can sit there and do the same but it'd take all f*cken night, and you just want to hit the p*ss on the town already, but because they're a gimp they'll just sit there, wait, wait, wait, wait until everyone else gets bored sh*tless, so they all go stupid and all of a sudden your money is gone and this gronk is talking about how the winnings should go along way to a big night on beer when you know it's going straight to a guava cruiser or 3.

Which gronk? Not this gronk!!

Texas Hold'em

Nah mate, not in a live game.. . got it twice on pokerstars in the 2 years or so i been playing on there... but that's it

Texas Hold'em

ON a poker machine many years ago i was dealt form the start- Ace, Queen, King, Jack(all clubs) and a 5.
needless to say i still won Sweet FA.

Texas Hold'em

ON a poker machine many years ago i was dealt form the start- Ace, Queen, King, Jack(all clubs) and a 5.
needless to say i still won Sweet FA.

lol...I loved those old pokies.
We still have a few in the garage

Texas Hold'em

The Australian Poker League have started local pub comps in my area over the last few weeks. I played in my first one last Tue night played again on Thu night the buy in was $11.00 so a pretty cheap night out. I have played a bit online and against friends at home but the rush you get from playing live is incredible. On Tue night I was down to $200 with the field of 44 down to 9 and the other players on my table wanting to wipe me out so they could go to the final 8 I went all in about 6 hands in a row (blinds were $2000 $4000) and by the time the ninth player was out I went to the final table with $16000 and was lucky enough to win. Won $114 bucks a money wont change me t shirt a silver Ac card protector and a copy of Bluff Magazine as I said a great and cheap night out and I would highly recomend anyone who enjoys poker getting out to a local comp. Btw I came back to earth on Thu and was out in the hand before the 1st break about 22 out of 35 I think but I will be back for more next week.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4