Testosterone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Not sure how many caught the full interview with Lance Armstrong but I was very interested when he mentioned that he justified his use of testosterone because of surgery he'd had when he'd had testicular cancer (read between the lines). Of course he now admits all of his use of performance enhancing substances (including testosterone) was in error.

Which is very interesting when one considers Adam McDougall (he of the infamous 1997 face stomp) allegedly used testosterone for the entirety of his career for medicinal reasons.....

Matabele said:
Not sure how many caught the full interview with Lance Armstrong but I was very interested when he mentioned that he justified his use of testosterone because of surgery he'd had when he'd had testicular cancer (read between the lines). Of course he now admits all of his use of performance enhancing substances (including testosterone) was in error.

Which is very interesting when one considers Adam McDougall (he of the infamous 1997 face stomp) allegedly used testosterone for the entirety of his career for medicinal reasons.....

Personally I think if they monitor levels of test in the athlete. As long as it stays within a certain range of the average bloke it would be fair imo. They test for HGH the same way. If there is a spike in levels alarm bells ring.

Do you think it would be fair for a man with naturally low test to use testosterone to make him "equal"?

No different to letting a guy play with contact lenses or an asthmatic using ventolin.

People need to wake up and realise a bit of steroids will not make them superhuman. Professional Body Builders are massively abusing A.S and theyre big and strong.

Genetics, hard work and dedication make sportsmen what they are.

Could Idris do a 12 week cycle on steroids and become Inglis or Lyon? Please!!

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

I use Testosterone for medical reasons. If I inadvertently use too much my haemoglobin levels rise to put me at risk of clotting and in turn stroke. that level is just outside the normal range, so any athlete that uses it and puts themselves at that risk is not only stupid, but deserves the consequences.

Using testosterone is a very dangerous endeavour.

Equally, anyone who needs it for medical reasons has my complete sympathy.

Absolutely no to steroids. If you're not good enough do something else. I heard somewhere they should let all sprinters take steroids to see them run the 100 in under 9 seconds. But seriously if you aren't good enough to play any sport you should not be allowed to compete with the assistance of performance enhancing substances. I cannot believe body building authorities almost encourage steroids with open competitions. Baseball has cracked down on steroid use. Steroid definitely is advantageous especially in a game like League. I don't think macdougal should have been given any allowance to cheat with steroids.

eagleE said:
Absolutely no to steroids. If you're not good enough do something else. I heard somewhere they should let all sprinters take steroids to see them run the 100 in under 9 seconds. But seriously if you aren't good enough to play any sport you should not be allowed to compete with the assistance of performance enhancing substances. I cannot believe body building authorities almost encourage steroids with open competitions. Baseball has cracked down on steroid use. Steroid definitely is advantageous especially in a game like League. I don't think macdougal should have been given any allowance to cheat with steroids.

Was macdougall cheating?

eagleE said:

So if macdougall needs testosterone because his body is very low in test is he "cheating" if he takes a low dose to be deemed to have an average level of testosterone?

Ralphie said:
I use Testosterone for medical reasons. If I inadvertently use too much my haemoglobin levels rise to put me at risk of clotting and in turn stroke. that level is just outside the normal range, so any athlete that uses it and puts themselves at that risk is not only stupid, but deserves the consequences.

Using testosterone is a very dangerous endeavour.

Equally, anyone who needs it for medical reasons has my complete sympathy.

I know it's private but i'm guessing you take test because your body is not making the normal amount due to illness? And what you take just makes your testosterone levels normal?

Like taking iron tablets if you were low in iron?

MacDougall mightn't have been cheating, but his 8 Knights mates who were also on roids definitely were.

There are legitimate medical nd thereputic aplications of steroids. i think there is a place for steroids in rugby league. If i had an injury or an operation the doctor may deem a certain steroid may aid in my recovery. Footballers shouldnt be denied the same treatment because of the laws of the game. I would be happy to see a system in place that would see a players treating doctor, in consultation with an independant nrl doctor, be able to prescribe any medication deemed appropriate in treating an injury. The players levels would have to return to pre medication levels before being cleared to resume playing.

Napper said:
eagleE said:
I know it's private but i'm guessing you take test because your body is not making the normal amount due to illness? And what you take just makes your testosterone levels normal?

Like taking iron tablets if you were low in iron?

The most common cause of low testosterone is a brain tumour in the pituitary gland.

It doesn't change the fact that if you go beyond the normal range, even just a little, you are at serious risk of clotting and stroke. I suspect that those on testosterone for performance enhancing reasons are simply taking a chance.

Napper, I say yes, Mcdougal was cheating with the help of the ARL/NRL. Simply he wasn't fit to play 1st grade without the assistance of substances. Whether it was controlled or not it was still beneficial to him and his teams to have that substance. Has anybody else been extended that approval. What about an unknown kid who doesn't quite make it because he is not strong enough or fast enough. Discovers his testosterone levels are a bit low. Takes a substance to help with that. Within the off season he is lifting an extra 20-30 kg or cut 1-2 seconds off his 100 run. That is not fair to all the other players/ teams/ clubs/ fans. It is giving an unfair advantage over an opponent or competitor.

eagleE said:
Napper, I say yes, Mcdougal was cheating with the help of the ARL/NRL. Simply he wasn't fit to play 1st grade without the assistance of substances. Whether it was controlled or not it was still beneficial to him and his teams to have that substance. Has anybody else been extended that approval. What about an unknown kid who doesn't quite make it because he is not strong enough or fast enough. Discovers his testosterone levels are a bit low. Takes a substance to help with that. Within the off season he is lifting an extra 20-30 kg or cut 1-2 seconds off his 100 run. That is not fair to all the other players/ teams/ clubs/ fans. It is giving an unfair advantage over an opponent or competitor.

When Choc and co were only playing last year due to pain killing injections pre game is that giving him an advantage he shouldn't have ? It could be classed as enhancing performance

In sport, medicine is used to fix a player so he can perform normally. I do not see the difference between a player using hormones if required and other players having pain killing injections or knee reconstructions.

Adam's brother Scott also took testosterone and it made him very confused when he saw the drug testers walk into the change room.

His sprint to his car was said to be the fastest than anyone wearing a norths jumper has ever run

NRL player jumps fence to flee from drug test
July 28 2002

The MacDougall family is embroiled in another drug controversy after Scott MacDougall fled from Australian Sports Drug Agency officials after a first division rugby league match yesterday.

MacDougall, brother of Newcastle and Test winger Adam and Northern Eagles' Ben - who were both suspended after returning positive drugs tests in 1998 - was to be tested following the Canberra v North Sydney match at Canberra Stadium.

But the Bears' utility ran from officials, allegedly jumping a fence to escape before fleeing in his car.

MacDougall is expected to face a mandatory two-year ban.

Norths coach Greg Florimo said an ASDA official told him of the incident. "The young lad was due to take a drug test and obviously didn't want to take it for some reason or another and didn't take it," he said.

The ASDA official told Florimo he would lodge a report of the test refusal with the league on Monday.

The Norths coach said he was shocked by the incident, and said MacDougall was a "very talented footballer".

"I'm very disappointed and very concerned for the young lad as well. I'd say he's a little bit confused at the moment. I'd think if you were not there to take the test there's obviously some problem somewhere along the line . . . I don't know what his next move is."

NSWRL general manager Chris Turner said a player involved in a test refusal would be treated as if he had tested positive. "The process is just the same . . . but in fairness to the player he'll be given 10 days' notice and face a tribunal."

Pain killers allow the player to perform at his optimum level. It does not let him go past that level. Steroids and other performance enhancing substances do take you to another level. You get two athletes of equal capabilities and give one a cycle of steroids for 8 weeks. Compare their abilities after that and there will be a dramatic spike in the one taking steroids. The one working on ability alone will not be able to compete.

Did you read any of the above?

How is using drugs to mask pain different to using drugs to nullify a hormone deficiency?

More to the point, how is using testosterone to nullify a hormone deficiency any different to Brett Stewart using insulin to overcome diabetes?

eagleE said:

Is Brett Stewart's body 'fit' enough to play RL without additional medicinal support? Should his medical regime, that assists him to compete with his peers, be viewed as unfair as it allows him to perform better than if he wasn't on medication?

I realise that Snake's situation is more life and death, but there are similarities to consider in the use of substances to allow you to perform better than you normally can with less or without them, but only to bring you upto a baseline level.

Its a medical condition. If someone is lacking in something why should they go without treatment because the medication(test) is illegal?

Like others have said you can be injured or sick and take drugs to get better so why not drugs to increase depleted testosterone levels? As long as its monitored and players dont have too high levels i cannot see a problem.

Does anyone think any current players have used performance enhancers?

I guarantee there are plenty that have!!

Napper said:
Its a medical condition. If someone is lacking in something why should they go without treatment because the medication(test) is illegal?

Like others have said you can be injured or sick and take drugs to get better so why not drugs to increase depleted testosterone levels? As long as its monitored and players dont have too high levels i cannot see a problem.

Does anyone think any current players have used performance enhancers?

I guarantee there are plenty that have!!

I reckon Justin Hodges uses performance enhancers in the sack because the bloke is a soft cock

manlyfan76 said:
Isn't the asthma puffer full of steroids?

Samantha Riley was grilled about ventolin use yeaes ago. She suffered from asthma so in order to breathe like me and you she used ventolin.

No big deal imo. Plenty of nrl players and i'd say, sportsmen worldwide use it.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6