Team of the Century

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
What did everyone think of the Team of the Century ??

I guess the most contentious decision has been Meninga over Fulton and Changa. I can see why it was a tough decision, you'd have any three in your side at a drop of the hat, but there will be justifiable bias on this site for Bozo of course. Maybe Fulton's and Changa's versatility cost them a bit as they may have  garnered votes at 5/8 and Fullback respectively, which may have tipped them out of a centre spot (not knowing exactly how the voting system worked). They are making a lot of the fact that Meninga pushed out two of the Immortals, but does anyone here really think that Meninga won't be made an Immortal in due course ?? His record is pretty phenomenal and worthy of such an honour.

For mine I'm disappointed that Wally Lewis has made the side. This guy was a handy footballer no doubt, but his reputation is always tainted by his gamemanship and foul play record (there was spitting and I recall an eye gouge or biting allegation as well). He really didn't dominate at Test level that much, and built his reputation on some solid SOO performances, where it seemed like just running on the park was enough to earn him a man of the match. Look at his win loss record at SOO when he went head to head with Brett Kenny, he got owned. Anyway I suspect that Queensland politics in the voting got him across the line.

Can't comment on guys like Duncan Hall and Noel Kelly as never saw them play, but they held out some good players in those spots.

How about that Brian Bevan guy, played for 20+ years and scored something like 700 tries. Fark me he could find the line no worries........may say more about the English defence then his ability

Fulton and Langlands were twice the players that Meninga ever was. Sure he was good but the other two are immortals as they were the best in either position in 75 years. There was no Origin in their days - they would have carved - but Test match footy was a real contest and both those players dominated.

I think the legend of Wally is contentious. He played well in 3 games of Origin each year but was never an established test player where Brett Kenny and Baa Baa Lamb always outshone him.

I never saw why anyone though Wally was such a great player, he never really did that much for me.

As for Meninga, ridiculous Fulton was an incredible player no matter where you put him on the park.

He single handedly won us a grand final!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6