Team lists - Sea Eagles vs Broncos

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
clontaago link said:
I was that game too. Another memorable one for me was a game against the Roosters at Brookie (cant remember what year).

About 20 mins in we were getting towelled, 18-0. My brother in law says, \"This is S**t, lets go\"

I said na lets sit it out, it cant get any worse. I think the score ended up 36-18 to us.

Can anyone else remember when that was? I used to have the game on VHS but lost it along the way somewhere.

That was brilliant hey Clon. It was 1997 and we ended up winning 34-24 in front of 18k crowd. When Andrew Hunter was put away by Beaver down the hill side touchline to seal it I don't think there's ever been a louder or prolonged roar. Except maybe when Tezza scored or when the team came out for our first home semi against souths.

I was at the Easts game with my wife and a couple of mates. One was a roosters fan and he was going off at 18-0. When we got in front my wife gave him a massive serve that he still fondly remembers to this day.  :)

I've still got that game on vhs and as suggested above transferal to disc would be a good idea.

We should put together a list of the most memorable Eagles games over the past 20 years and see if  the NRL/Channel 9/someone could put together a package?

A long shot I'm sure.

Clontaago....that would make an AWESOME opinion article for the site too :)

One that springs to mind is the game against parramatta in (I think maybe Rnd 6 08) where we had a massive injury toll through the game and we ended up in the 2nd half with no fit interchanges on the bench at all.

Beaver injured early on and Ill never forget Boxhead with one bung leg hitting it up from our 30 metre line with 10 mins to go and the whole team out on their feet.

But we hung on to win. One of the most courageous efforts ever seen in the Maroon & White.

Jatz Crackers link said:
One that springs to mind is the game against parramatta in (I think maybe Rnd 6 08) where we had a massive injury toll through the game and we ended up in the 2nd half with no fit interchanges on the bench at all.

Beaver injured early on and Ill never forget Boxhead with one bung leg hitting it up from our 30 metre line with 10 mins to go and the whole team out on their feet.

But we hung on to win. One of the most courageous efforts ever seen in the Maroon & White.

That was a great win, a truly great win and that one legged hop style hit up was gutsy

Sea Eagles v Broncos
Brookvale Oval
Sunday 3pm

A real danger game for the Sea Eagles, whose “Fortress Brookvale” reputation looks to be on shifting ground. They have just three wins from their five games there to date, including two losses from their past three at the venue.

They squeezed home against the Cowboys in Townsville last week, the week after resting up with the bye. Before that they suffered an uncharacteristic form and intensity drop-off at home to fall to Parramatta in Round 10 – the week after arguably their most impressive performance of the season when dominating the Dragons at home.

Jekyll and Hyde? You bet.

Still, they’ve clambered to second on the ladder – although Origin and injury will severely test them in the coming weeks.

Their major problem is the loss of centre Jamie Lyon with an ankle injury, plus the suspension to Steve Matai (he’ll also miss next week’s away game against the Titans).

It’s forced coach Des Hasler to shift regular five-eighth Kieran Foran to the centres in his return from injury and leave the less-creative Chris Bailey at pivot.

A plus though is Josh Perry’s return at prop, which pushes Brent Kite to the bench. Terence Seu Seu remains on an extended bench of 18.

The Broncos enter the clash on a three-game winning streak, having accounted for the Storm, Titans and Sharks and banking two points for a bye; after a shaky start to the season that saw them ranked 14th on the ladder with a points differential of -69 through Round 9, they’ve now climbed to 8th spot and whittled their deficit to just -9.

It’s a big game for centre Israel Folau, who announced his defection to AFL during the week. Expect the Brookvale crowd – and perhaps a few of the Broncos fans who make the journey there – to give him a hostile reception.

Watch out Sea Eagles: Des Hasler will be sweating on his forced positional changes coming off.

While Toyota Cup youngster Dean Whare set a record against the Cowboys last week, becoming the first player to score a hat-trick of tries in his first grade debut for the Sea Eagles (he also contributed a try assist), things could be a little leaner without injured partner Jamie Lyon this week.

With Lyon sidelined and regular centre partner Steve Matai suspended, the Sea Eagles could struggle for penetration on the edges. To date, the Lyon-Matai partnership has yielded 10 try assists between them, as well as an NRL-high nine line-break assists.

Also, the last time these sides met last year, Lyon destroyed the Broncos with three tries and three goals in their 22-20 win.

It remains to be seen how Foran’s shift wider to partner Whare in the centres will affect the Sea Eagles’ attack.

For the Broncos, lock Corey Parker looms as a danger man. While Sam Thaiday will be a focus for the defence, they shouldn’t take Parker for granted – his 124 metres a game is the most by any Broncos forward. He also has 42 tackle-breaks and 12 offloads in 2010.

Watch out Broncos: Josh Perry’s grip on his Blues jumper isn’t real strong – and should Perry be overlooked, there’s every chance NSW selectors may opt for his Sea Eagles’ front row partner Jason King for Game Two in Brisbane. That being the case, expect plenty of motivation and work from the pair.

To date Perry is averaging 98 metres, King 103 – but watch those numbers be dwarfed in this game with a rep jersey on the line.   

Elsewhere, Anthony Watmough will be looking to make a statement; at his best he is the most devastating back-rower in the game, but he has been a little quiet of late. Expect him to wind up and punch out more than his current 111 metres a game and three tackle-breaks.

Where it will be won: Controlling the football and gaining good field position. It will be interesting to see who assists Trent Hodkinson in clearing the ball for the Sea Eagles. Normally Foran is the back-up, but with him playing wider Bailey may be called upon more – or else Foran may move himself in late in tackle counts to get his hands on the ball.

The logical option with such disruption though would be to hand hooker Matt Ballin more responsibility – don’t be surprised if the Maroons’ substitute rake keeps the Broncos on the back foot with a series of probing kicks from dummy-half.

As for completions, there’s not much between the sides (77 per cent Manly, 74 per cent Brisbane), so whoever wins the “battle of the bustle” will gain an advantage.

Obviously Folau will be out to impress and the disruption to the Manly centres should provide him with excellent opportunities, both with the ball in hand and also contesting cross-field bombs that Peter Wallace and Darren Lockyer will deliver (the Sea Eagles have defused just 22 per cent of cross-field bombs – the worst rate in the comp).

The history: Played 30; Broncos 15, Sea Eagles 14, drawn 1. The home side have won five of the past eight clashes between the sides, including the past four. At Brookvale Oval they hold an 8-4 advantage, with a draw.

Conclusion: Not even Darren Lockyer in his prime has been enough to see the Broncos a threat at Brookvale in past years. In fact, Lockyer has just the one victory on the northern beaches from five games in his 16-year career to date – at his last appearance there in 2006.

You can make a case for both sides, and certainly a case for an upset. The smart selection is the home side, but it’s no lock.

Match officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Chris James; Sideline Officials – Jeff Younis & Russell Turner; Video Ref – Sean Hampstead.

Televised: Channel Nine – Delayed 4pm; Fox Sports – Delayed 6pm.

The Adjudicator says: "I bet Manly are just chuffed that Locky's lads have hit a nice run of form leading into this encounter; the Sea Eagles missing out on playing an Origin-ravaged Broncos. For the punters though it proves the rugby league Gods are smiling upon us, given four weeks ago this historically high-calibre clash was shaping as a more obvious mismatch than Evan Rachel Wood and Marilyn Manson. From the Kerrod Walters bounce in 1990 to the equally questionable Terry Hill v the corner post in 1999, this match-up is storied in controversy and rivalry alike. Bring on golden point! "

Agree/disagree with The Adjudicator? Tell him, in 100 words or fewer, why your team will win this match. Email The Adjudicator , including your full name and where you're from.

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS

Rob of Dapto says: Manly v Broncos this weekend at Brookie – forget about mismatch, I am predicting a full on donnybrook. Make that a high-octane skirmish and stand-them-up-knock-them-down hullaballoo! Mind you that is just the annual stoush in the stand between Mrs Rob (Sea Eagles supporter) v Rob (Maroon fans)! On a slightly more technical level I am loving no Lyons who has been the leader and calming factor to the ego-fuelled Watmough and crew. Broncos by less than 10 with all my winnings going to a one-way ferry, bus, train ride back to Dapto Leagues for hootenanny of a knees up celebration!

Chris says: @Silvertail of Manly – the issue for both clubs is that their playing rosters for 2010 lack the depth of previous years. The difference is that at this point the Broncos have less injuries to key players (though eight weeks ago, the same couldn't be said) – if the two teams had a full side on the field, it would be a close one. Folau isn't that big a loss - he puts on two or three big plays every two or three games, but goes missing too often – in fact I'm thankful he told us before 30th June, so we can use up the salary cap space he has now given us to re-sign our juniors. And our "relic" captain had a blinder at rep level and then three days later. He's played Foran at rep level only a few weeks ago, and Lyon isn't playing, whom Lockyer bettered at rep level a week ago. He pulled off a corker tackle on a proper NSW five-eighth on the weekend. And he made your hooker look like a really good player, in his "other" maroon jersey. Broncos by 20 odd.

Alfred says: Manly were lucky to get a win on Saturday against the Cowboys. Though both teams are fine on form, the injury to Jamie Lyon should prove decisive. Broncos to get home on a whisker.

Silvertail of Manly says: Broncos fan Rossko from Broncotown - Who has picked you up and dropped you on your head?? YOU ARE TOTALLY DELUSIONAL FELLA!! No Matai or Lyon does not necessarily mean no win for the Eagles. The Broncos have a relic for a captain and a defector who thinks he can play AFL! What a LAUGHING STOCK! Anything is possible in the game at the moment. Manly by 10.

Geoff from Summer Bay says: It will be interesting to see who we put on the park. We bounced back well 24 hours after the NZ Test and CC game, beating Saints. But now we are 'thin on the ground'. We've debuted two new players in three games - that's 'desperate' because there are no 'easy' games to introduce new players. I note we only played Broncos once last year and won in a close game 20-22 away. As I probably won't revisit Mr A later - Manly by 10 at home.

Broncos fan Chris says: "Not sure yet if the Broncos are genuine, but the whole package seems to be clicking – defense is reading things well, scrambling well and Thaiday and Co are trying to smash everyone off the park. Lockyer looks sublime, and even if Izzy has a quiet day, which I doubt (getting his future sorted will do wonders for his mindset), Hoffman, Kemp, Winterstein and Gillett (our version of Ruben Wiki – a centre that will play prop eventually) won’t. Look to Thaiday to wage his second (of three) personal wars against Watmough and Perry over a three week period."

Broncos fan Rossko from Broncotown says: "With no Matai to put on dirty cheap shots and no Lyon to tap the ball over defender’s heads or score with his man boobs then Manly are no hope. The mighty Broncos will destroy the Northern Manly Warringah Bears Sea Eagles. Broncos by 30."

Marv says: Izzy will be feeling out of place in front of the people of God's country, isn't he a Westy now? He'll be on the next bus to Blacktown after the Eagles embarrass the Broncos. I'll give you the drum, we will not lose.

Laurie Daley's round 13 preview
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27214462-5016329,00.html

It will be interesting to see what type of affect the Israel Folau saga has on the Broncos. Manly are a team that always start well, but seem to fade. They were there for the taking last week against the Cowboys and the Broncos will take plenty of heart from that. I think the Broncos may get away with one, with Manly to hurt from the loss of Tony Williams and Jamie Lyon. There’s still a big question mark on the Sea Eagles’ halves combination of Chris Bailey and Trent Hodkinson, and the Broncos should be able to capitalise on that weakness. Manly are one of the favourites to win the premiership, but I just get the feeling Brisbane will have too much firepower over the full 80 minutes.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
Laurie Daley's round 13 preview
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27214462-5016329,00.html

It will be interesting to see what type of affect the Israel Folau saga has on the Broncos. Manly are a team that always start well, but seem to fade. They were there for the taking last week against the Cowboys and the Broncos will take plenty of heart from that. I think the Broncos may get away with one, with Manly to hurt from the loss of Tony Williams and Jamie Lyon. There’s still a big question mark on the Sea Eagles’ halves combination of Chris Bailey and Trent Hodkinson, and the Broncos should be able to capitalise on that weakness. Manly are one of the favourites to win the premiership, but I just get the feeling Brisbane will have too much firepower over the full 80 minutes.

WTF ? Oh laurie!

A red Sherrin mysteriously appeared at Brisbane's training headquarters on Thursday as Israel Folau's NRL teammates did their best to embarrass the AFL's latest millionaire.

Howls of laughter swept across the training field at Red Hill when Sam Thaiday climbed up on Folau's back to take a mock mark.

Teammates then tried to coerce the 21-year-old to kick the Sherrin between the goal posts.

“Take a snap Izzy,” urged one player as others kicked the red leather ball around the ground.

Try as they may, Folau would not put his boot to the AFL ball before coach Ivan Henjak finally called a halt to the frivolity to get his players focussed on the more serious task of preparing for Sunday's tough NRL clash with Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer dug the Sherrin out of a cupboard and pumped it up himself, knowing it would help break the ice with Folau and the players. It worked.

Brisbane did a similar thing last year at training when fullback Karmichael Hunt signed his big AFL deal with the Gold Coast.

Late in Henjak's session, when the bombs were being hoisted skywards by Lockyer and Peter Wallace, Folau showed just why big-spending AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney believe he will be more than a publicity ticket, launching himself above the pack to take some spectacular two-handed grabs.

Again his team mates let him have it, one shouting out: “up there Israely, make Sheeds (GWS coach Kevin Sheedy) proud.''

A slightly embarrassed Folau - reportedly $4-6 million dollars richer - took it all in his stride, laughing at the digs and happily wearing the wise cracks.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6