Team Culture

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think the 'culture' of the golden generation is about to be gone with the loss of Lyon, Kite, Kingy etc over the last couple of years, but it's now up to these players (led by DCE, Jake, Darcy) to build the culture of the 'platinum' generation (ok I just made that up but I thought it sounded cool). These guys now need to own the team, no deferring to Matai (even if he's still there), or Snake or Lyon. Nup the team is on your shoulders now DCE, Jake etc. Your chance to build this team in the image you want it to be.
I agree with your comments to Killer ... I was writing at the same time as you were interesting that we both named 'Lyon, Kite, Kingy'

I agree with your comments to Killer ... I was writing at the same time as you were interesting that we both named 'Lyon, Kite, Kingy'

Lyon we all see the massive impact he has had on the team and the culture. Without him, I really think the last 2 years could have been absolutely horrific. His calming no bs attitude has been the steadying influence as others have been going nuts.

Kingy and Kitey are both very underrated in terms of what they brought to the golden generation culture. Two very unassuming men who were just that 'men'. It was never all about them, they were team men first and foremost and Jake T can take that mantle beautifully into the future.

I am perplexed by expressed perceptions of team culture that suggest that it depends on the background of the players and or the coaching staff. (IMO our current coaching staff are inept). Generations of players come and go and the changing of the guard is never easy as we love our heroes. Bozo was my hero in the seventies and I was filthy when he went to the Roosters. Successful teams are groups of players that work hard together, understand, believe in and follow the teams structure and coach's game plan and play for one another. Melbourne are a fine example of this type of culture. Collective and personal discipline is an integral part of the formula. It must be programmed into the players by the Coach. If a coach cannot reach his players the culture will never develop. Trouble makers are like cancer to a playing group and we shouldn't be signing any! These days contracts are broken like pie crusts and when players let everybody down (family, team mates, club and supporters) there are insufficient consequences.
Tragic......the only problem is that there aren't too many clean skin players out there!!! Culture development takes time, player rehabilitation takes time.......we need to give both a chance to develop!

I am perplexed by expressed perceptions of team culture that suggest that it depends on the background of the players and or the coaching staff. (IMO our current coaching staff are inept). Generations of players come and go and the changing of the guard is never easy as we love our heroes. Bozo was my hero in the seventies and I was filthy when he went to the Roosters. Successful teams are groups of players that work hard together, understand, believe in and follow the teams structure and coach's game plan and play for one another. Melbourne are a fine example of this type of culture. Collective and personal discipline is an integral part of the formula. It must be programmed into the players by the Coach. If a coach cannot reach his players the culture will never develop. Trouble makers are like cancer to a playing group and we shouldn't be signing any! These days contracts are broken like pie crusts and when players let everybody down (family, team mates, club and supporters) there are insufficient consequences.
mmmmmm pie crust

It's a six million dollar salary cap.. they can rebuild it..

Bigger!

Faster!

Stronger together!

six+m+dollar+man+doll.gif

The coach and administration can set standards and expectations.

But that intangible thing we refer to as "culture", that desire that unites a group of individuals into a team and drives them forward to achieve great things, can only be forged on the field by players that have shared periods of either adversity or success. And it requires a core group of "men" that lead by example.

Yeah culture encompasses wayyy more than winning and losing footy games. It's attitude, standards, buy-in, camerarderie etc etc.. It takes time to build and it creeps into a club slowly but surely, good or bad. But it's always there lurking in the background. It needs to be fostered and developed. Yes the old brigade is moving on but as people have said we have a nucleus of excellent young players and characters that can keep us moving forward. We just need the right people in the background pulling the right strings. Let's hope we have the right people to do that. Results and on field effort/performance will determine if we do. Fingers crossed.

What culture did Barrett bring to our club ?

None. "It" what ever it is, can't be transferred. What I hope he has brought, or very quickly develops, is a set of standards and expectations that he is willing to enforce.

Yes the old brigade is moving on but as people have said we have a nucleus of excellent young players and characters that can keep us moving forward.
Myles and Brown were signed as much - or even more - for what they bring off the field, as for what they contribute on it. We were losing so many senior squad members who set the standards of professionalism.

Myles and Brown were signed as much - or even more - for what they bring off the field, as for what they contribute on it. We were losing so many senior squad members who set the standards of professionalism.

AFB said recently that Myles has been a great mentor for him and showed him how much he needs to improve in certain areas.

AFB said recently that Myles has been a great mentor for him and showed him how much he needs to improve in certain areas.

I hear ya Woodsie but sheesh Nate's ending up the best paid FWDs coach in the country... We really need him to step up on the field and the thing that really annoyed me this yr was ok he's getting older, slower etc. that I can almost cop but he needed to supplement that with being a real forward leader of that pack..aggressive, inspiring, show some passion and enthusiasm ffs..I think that's what really annoyed me - him just appearing to go through the motions.

I'll tell you what the biggest indicator that we are struggling with culture at our club is?

The fact that after a win the majority of the team don't know the words to our team song. Lussick, Turbo's, DCE, Buhrer etc will sing along but most of the others wouldn't have a clue.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4