Taufua to face Court today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
This is one way to stop a Manly Sea Eagles' player | The Courier-Mail

He is to make the urgent application to Southport Magistrates Court this morning after his lawyer, Campbell MacCallum, discovered the strict conditions could prevent him from playing.

Manly considers the situation so serious it is understood senior executives from the club will drive Taufua to the Gold Coast from Brisbane for this morning's hearing.

Mr MacCallum held an 11th-hour meeting with Southport chief magistrate Ron Kilner in chambers yesterday requesting the special hearing be dealt with at 9am so Taufua has time to focus on tonight's match.

"The request for the urgent special hearing has arisen due to the fact that technically he may not be allowed to enter into any part of Suncorp Stadium tonight and therefore not be allowed to play, after strict bail conditions were imposed upon him after his arrest last year," Mr MacCallum said.

"I contacted the stadium and have checked with liquor licensing and certainly all, or at least large parts, of the areas inside the stadium are classified as licensed premises.

"Potentially, Taufua could be in breach of the court order and more importantly, could be lawfully arrested before or after the game.

"Unfortunately, he can't be confirmed to play until the chief magistrate makes a decision whether or not to remove the condition."

Mr MacCallum will request the ban on entering licensed premises be removed from Taufua's bail conditions or, at least, allow a variation so he can play.

Taufua forced his way into the NRL last year, racking up 24 matches in his debut season in first grade and featuring in all three of Manly's finals matches.

The rookie winger landed in trouble last October when he allegedly spat at police after an altercation outside Shooters in Surfers Paradise about 3.35am.

He faced court the next day with bandages on his head and right eye. A hearing into the charges is set down for Monday.

- Gold Coast Bulletin

Southport courts are pretty soft on first timers from what I see, I hope that's the case today.

Masked Eagle said:
Surely the liqour licensing doesn't extend to the actual playing field. We should just parachute him in.

Exactly. They haven't served beer on the field since the 80s.

MadMarcus said:
Masked Eagle said:
Surely the liqour licensing doesn't extend to the actual playing field. We should just parachute him in.

Exactly. They haven't served beer on the field since the 80s.

but qld'ers do throw it onto the field.

Hopefully they can get this condition changed. We will need Taufua tonight.

Rodo said:

Sorry to harp: He is a great runner with the ball, sometimes just stunning, . . . when its nicely passed to him.
But his ball security under the bomb, in crucial / pressurised situations is crap. Just look at the whole of 2012. Look closely at the Storm semi. and the Suncorp match last year. Sure, he will become less nervous, but will he ever have the temerity to 'leap for the ball' and not the man ?

Maybe some off season improvements have been worked on, but with the current legal action distraction - is this a good match to be 'finding out' ??

TBH I think Manly should have stood him down for a game or two. He will be targeted by the crowd and he may become a liability...

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Rodo said:

Sorry to harp: He is a great runner with the ball, sometimes just stunning, . . . when its nicely passed to him.
But his ball security under the bomb, in crucial / pressurised situations is crap. Just look at the whole of 2012. Look closely at the Storm semi. and the Suncorp match last year. Sure, he will become less nervous, but will he ever have the temerity to 'leap for the ball' and not the man ?

Maybe some off season improvements have been worked on, but with the current legal action distraction - is this a good match to be 'finding out' ??

reading Ian Roberts' authobiography?

Rambo1987 said:
TBH I think Manly should have stood him down for a game or two. He will be targeted by the crowd and he may become a liability...
On the contrary . I believe all this will fire up Taufua for a big game .

Rambo1987 said:

No chance, This is a brisbane crowd and his surname has 3 syllables.He will be 50m down field before they get it out

maybe im wrong , after 6 beers and there penchant for syllable compression it might just sound like they have sneezed

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Rodo said:

Definitely a facet of his game he needs to work on, but I'm sure its been no 1 priority for him. You aren't a proper footy players these days unless youv'e had a trip to the court house so that will probably help him feel more welcome in first grade! ;)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6