Taufua the Kind of Footballer to Worry About?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Joey

Reserve Grader
Taufua this week said he was unaware Ben Barba had made his comeback to the NRL, also had no idea about Inu's shocking tackle on Inglis alongside quoted as saying that he said he doesn’t even watch league or read about the game. I don't know the guy at all but is he the kind of footballer we should be worried about in that he is one of those players who only see rugby league as a cash cow and nothing else? NRL players should appreciate the game they are making a killing from, not just milk it for coin without an interest in its past, present or future.

Because he doesn't read the dribble about himself and his teammates, he only sees the game as a cash cow?

Good on him. Worries about himself and his own team. I think it's great.

can't imagine him being on heaps of cash anyways?

all depends on what you want out of footy too?
i wonder if all the guys who left manly for a $100k more are happy getting flogged every week?
hard to put yourself in their positions, but i'd rather play for less at manly and have a shot at the title every year, than leave for more cash.... and go to a terrible club!
easy to say sitting on the lounge tho!

It is something that all fans tend to struggle with

For some players this is not their dream job but is just a job

It does not mean they try less / are less motivated by it...it just means they do not worry about things outside their job

I think it is smart for players to keep themselves from reading the media gossip. The media and fans perception, views and ridicule would easily destroy the confidence of any player.

If you read the good stuff about yourself, you are then forced to read the bad stuff about yourself. Better staying right away from anyone who voices an opinion on you - except for a few good judges who you value and trust their opinion.

As for reading about the history of the game this is another story, or even understanding about where the game is going, again another story - soak up this information.

Brookie said:
swoop said:
The date on the article was 01/04/2013. April fools'.:)

what article?
This one:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-winger-jorge-taufua-says-he-didnt-know-bulldgs-star-ben-barba-had-returned-to-playing-nrl/story-fndv31ch-1226610293945

Nobody expects him to watch every game - and to be fair he does play a position which aint that complicated. Its not a hanging offence, and it takes all types. But in life you generally find the harder people work and the more effort they put in the closer they get to reaching their own full potential. So I think it's a fair question to ask.

It is their job after all - dunno how much footy Killer,Gift,Foran or DCE watch but I'll bet its more than some of the others who play, go to the gym, tweet and sleep.

Joey said:
Taufua this week said he was unaware Ben Barba had made his comeback to the NRL, also had no idea about Inu's shocking tackle on Inglis alongside quoted as saying that he said he doesn’t even watch league or read about the game. I don't know the guy at all but is he the kind of footballer we should be worried about in that he is one of those players who only see rugby league as a cash cow and nothing else? NRL players should appreciate the game they are making a killing from, not just milk it for coin without an interest in its past, present or future.

I try not to think about work when I walk out the doors each day, and I definitely don't go out of my way to consider what others are doing.

Some people live and breathe their work; others just do their job.

Drawing an extremely long bow to criticize the bloke here

Read an article on Tim Grant a couple of weeks back, he used to live and breathe footy, and he found it made the game worse with ups and downs when injured etc. Now he doesn't watch any other games, has a life away from it and has improved him game massively to the point he is an origin player now

Remember reading an article on Beaver as well, he was asked the key to him being able to stick around so long. As soon as he left training he didn't think about footy again, it was all golf

I did see it on television and if it was an April fools thing haha if not the club might just pull the lad aside and give him some lessons re handling interviews etc. If you are going to be in the lime light the club should have some input and guiding players through interviews or players can come across across as simple simons.

lsz said:
It is something thatl fans tend struggle with

For some players this is not their dream job but is just a job

It does not mean they try less / are less motivated by it...it just means they do not worry about things outside their job
What a stupid post!

They play footy when they are kids then move up the grades an then there are a small percentage who end up playing NRL and get paid to do what they love and have been doing since they were kids.

Some kid doesn't just say "oh I might as well just play footy coz I'm good at it"

If you honestly think that any nrl player are doing it because 'they need a job' you're kidding yourself!

Napper considering the money involved there are some talented players who might not have as much passion as other

You honestly think that there not some players treating it is as job? Playing, as you put it "coz they are good at it"?

lsz said:
Napper considering the money involved there are some talented players who might not have as much passion as other

You honestly think that there not some players treating it is as job? Playing, as you put it "coz they are good at it"?

I'm bored with my job.... I might become an NRL player because the money is good. Expect to see me in first grade this weekend.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6