Taufua [Merged (not yet a mega) Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If the shoulder was the issue then he should get back to his best.

If not he will be in NSW cup pretty quick

Evo said:
NRL 2015: Players who must lift their game in season 2015

Sea Eagles – Jorge Taufua

Earlier in the season he pulled on a City Origin jersey for the second time in his three-year NRL career, yet he finished the year on the outer. From a Blues bolter to sideline dweller, Taufua must lift this season with Clinton Gutherson pushing for a spot in the first-grade side. Toward the business end of the season, the 23-year-old livewire struggled with consistency. Lacking confidence, he spilled several bombs and dropped passes, and he was axed for the second week of the finals in favour of Cheyse Blair. There is no shortage of outside backs vying for an opportunity at the Sea Eagles, with the club also signing Newcastle speedster Brayden Williame. Taufua is a handful in attack and hard hitting in defence. With a good pre-season and some confidence back in his game, his best football should be ahead of him.

Who's Brayden Williame?

http://www.silvertails.net/11855/sea-eagles-finally-catch-the-one-that-got-away/

Rodo said:
Jorge injured his shoulder in the Auckland Nines last year and this had a big effect on his game in 2014. With time to have surgery and recover from the injury over the off-season he should be raring to go next year.

I disagree, i think the shoulder injury he hurt in the trial against Parra did hamper him this season but it wasnt the reason he fell out of favour. All BS aside Jorge is an awesome player in both attack and defense and i am a massive fan but he is rubbish under the high ball and has been since coming into NRL.
He had a shocker in one of the games just before the finals and opposition teams just targeted him from then on.

Good news for him is its something he can fix with alot of hard work and practice and a lil confidence (take Ben Barba for e.g the difference between him under the high ball in seasons 2011 compared to 2012).

If Jorge stays on the wing he will give up as many points as he scores, if not more. He is awful under the high ball and simply can't jump. He just doesn't have the body shape or the athleticism for it. I don't think it is something he can work on.

Frank said:
If Jorge stays on the wing he will give up as many points as he scores, if not more. He is awful under the high ball and simply can't jump. He just doesn't have the body shape or the athleticism for it. I don't think it is something he can work on.

I agree, Jorge is a catastrophe waiting to happen anytime the ball is directed towards him in the air. Cheyse Blair or Gutherson are much safer options on the flank.

I believe Jorge will be given the opportunity to regain and retain his wing spot. Coming back fully fit should give him some confidence and I hope a'lot of his off season has been focusing on his aerial and defensive skills.

I think it is a bit premature to give up on Jorge as a winger just yet. Take the example of Manu Vatuvei, who at times during his career has taken a grilling due to his aerial abilities but has managed to bounce back from them. Him and Jorge are similar power wingers so we all know that Jorge is just as tough to stop as Manu close to the line.(In the 4 Nations Final the Kiwi's last try and Manu's 2nd, I have seen Jorge score the exact try for Manly several times) We also know Jorge is a solid returner of the ball like Manu as well. Both their weaknesses are the high ball and defensive reads.

If Jorge can improve on those weak areas is really the main question? I do have some doubts over his aerial abilities and if he can make improvements. If he is able to then he is fine where he is. If he is given time and nothing changes then you look at dropping or a position move. A move to the Forwards or into the Centres are possibilities.

I have a feeling he bounces back this coming season. Jorge understands that we have quality players coming through and waiting in the wings like Blair, Gutherson, Williame, Tom Trbojevic. He understands if he don't bring his A game then there are capable replacements.

All the best to him and I hope he does return to form. Like Big Manu, a pleasure to watch when firing on full cylinders.

Yeah absolutely he should have first crack as long as he is fully fit.

He needs to deliver pretty quickly though.

Horhay offers many positives that outweigh his weakness under the high ball. He would have probably been a shandy off SOO selection this year had he played like he did in 2013. Unfortunately busting his shoulder really hampered his form this year. Shoulder injuries are horrible things to carry and take time to heal and get confidence back. Hopefully a solid off season will see him back to the form we know he is capable of. He was one of the leading metre gainers and line breakers in 2013, and the work him and Skivvi do coming out of our 20 you aren't going to get from the likes of Morrissey.

OK so he had a tough few games under the barrage of bombs, but think about how hard it is to get you arms above your head with a shoulder injury. Ironically he wasn't targeted as much last year when fit, I seem to recall a lot of the aerial assault in the 2013 GF was down the other side. Maybe we also need to work on our defensive blocking patterns and get him a bit more help.

Anyway I'm a fan of the kid and think he deserves first crack in 2015, fully fit and confident he is a devastating weapon. I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6