Taufua [Merged (not yet a mega) Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
George should miss the next game. He is so out of form its shocking. His injury (or lack of form since returning from ...) means he can't really move that well. What are those jumps, he's on the wing for Mossips sake.

If he's on next week than Toovey has some of the same bad habits as Hasler.

Otherwise, Taufua is one of my fave players (when fit).

the mauler said:
Hiku's defence is terrible on the wing. As for Jorge he hasn't been right all year. His confidence is shot and is a liability at the moment.

Couldn't agree more, both are future centres

I think Hiku at hooker and Tafua in the forward might just fire them up.
Blair and Gutherson the new wingers.
I'm not wild about the defense of either of these guys but they are a step up from Hiku and Tafua.

I don't think Taufua's shoulder would be too keen on these calls for him to move into the forwards. All that extra defence would be a killer for him at the moment. Anyway, shoulder or no shoulder he doesn't strike me as someone who would relish the constant contact that the back row would bring.

What is so disappointing is his lack of awareness and urgency :dodgy:

Never see him run after someone once he missed them initially :s
That grubber try he let in last night was pathetic, he just had to flop on it :mad:

He has had two years playing outside the most alert and determined Player in Matai.
Nothing has rubbed off on him except the fun of scoring :sleepy:

I said a while ago that I think Jorge's future is in the back row and nothing really has changed my mind on that.

As a winger we all know he can score tries and when he puts on a big hit he looks like he's been taking tackling lessons from Skivy. But under high balls he is iffy at best. And I'm not just talking his confidence as it stands today because I have always thought that if something like last night happened then we were going to struggle (I'm very surprised its taken this long for other teams to work it out. Did you notice that the Vermin did not once put up a bomb towards Peta?).

Body wise he reminds me of Choc. Short, stocky and very strong. He has good pace, but not for a winger and most opposition wingers would smoke him for speed. He might turn into a centre in the future, but I do feel he is destined for the forwards.

Peta is in the same category as Jorge when it comes to pace on the wing. Seriously, he got burned a couple of times last night. And while he can also score tries, his defence needs a LOT of work, especially if the club see's him as a long-term centre (I think Gutherson is being groomed for FB or wing). The good thing about Peta is that he is very solid under the high ball...Souffs knew that and didn't bomb him like they did Jorge, they just ran around him.

Someone mentioned Michael Oldfield. Now that guy has speed to burn, but his big problem (from my point of view at least) was his turn and chase. Too many times when he played first grade for us and kicks were put in behind him, his lazy turn and chase often saw Snake put under more pressure than was needed to clean up. That's a major reason why he never flourished under Des and didn't under Tooves either. I think its also part of why he also failed at the Rorters (that and the emergence of Tupou and RTS).

As for next week against either the Scum or Scumdogs.....I would honestly play either Gutho or Blair on the wing and have Jorge on the bench even if Hasson is available. But the make up of the team will be dictated by Hodges injury, whether Ballin can make a miracle recovery, and whether Killer, Choc and Foz beat the reports they've been put on. Killer and Foz maybe but I think Choc will be in trouble.

cliffhanger said:
Get rid of tufua and we may have a chance next week. Bring jin Blair.

Bad spelling and I'm not sure why you picked Blair, but I agree that it is a good idea for somebody to bring gin next week.

MadMarcus said:
cliffhanger said:
Get rid of tufua and we may have a chance next week. Bring jin Blair.

Bad spelling and I'm not sure why you picked Blair, but I agree that it is a good idea for somebody to bring gin next week.

I'll bring vodka - kaspersky vodka, made with potato and a virus. Gin is a depressive they say and I know that won't be needed after the next game.

Mitch said:
I have every faith that Jorge will bounce back, we all know how devastating he can be.

Especially at a time when there seems to be a lot of anger being thrown at the club by some players, Taufau is one that has openly spoken of his love for MWSE. I hope he comes out next week takes that first bomb that comes his way and has a blinder.

Jorge's time as a winger have passed. The game now requires tall, athletic wingers who can jump and catch bombs. Even the best winger in recent memory, Ken Irvine, wouldn't make it the way RL is now played.
Jorge needs to become a forward.
Manly needs to get backs with height and speed. Time has caught up with our great backline and it now must be the slowest of any.

The Who said:
Mitch said:
I have every faith that Jorge will bounce back, we all know how devastating he can be.

Especially at a time when there seems to be a lot of anger being thrown at the club by some players, Taufau is one that has openly spoken of his love for MWSE. I hope he comes out next week takes that first bomb that comes his way and has a blinder.

Jorge's time as a winger have passed. The game now requires tall, athletic wingers who can jump and catch bombs. Even the best winger in recent memory, Ken Irvine, wouldn't make it the way RL is now played.
Jorge needs to become a forward.
Manly needs to get backs with height and speed. Time has caught up with our great backline and it now must be the slowest of any.

Jorge is not slow; he has just been playing injured most of the year. Early in the season he went toe to toe with Michael Morgan from the Cowboys (who is lightening), and he managed to score. Then he came back from injury against Souths and you could see him struggling chasing after Lote at the SCG. He is busted, and it's showing, but he will come good.

Snake, Lyon, Jorge, and Skivvy have enough speed to be competitive. It's Hiku that looks sluggish at times. It's getting to the stage where Blair or Gutherson need to play down Peta's side of the field permanently.

I hate repeatedly reading on here how you have to be a big tall winger these days to be any good

If Brett Morris isn't the best winger in the comp, he is bloody close to it, and he is just average height

Oldfield was tall and fast. He needed a couple more years of development though.

Robbo wasn't tall or overly fast but he rarely missed a catch, rarely missed a tackle, was a great finisher, and was never out of position.

My memories of Irvine were when he old. He was as safe as Robbo but three times faster. He would play for Australia in any era.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6