Taufua [Merged (not yet a mega) Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Horses for courses . I would drop Tafua !

ManlyMit said:
Something that really annoys me is the amount of hit-ups Hiku does, does not make any metres whatsoever

He really needs to do better in this facet of his game. I understand that Williams could be ordinary under the high ball, but he was very handy at taking the ball up from inside our own half. Hiku is a handy finisher (17 tries this season), and he is solid under the bomb, but he is severely lacking in metre making. I would like to see him get in at dummy half and run (a la Brett Morris/Justin Hodges), rather than stand one off the ruck and run into the oncoming brick wall.

Hiku is not very big.. muscle wise. Hes not as strong as he should be. He needs to hit the gym. His defence is awful because of this as well. Once he puts the hard yards in at the gym he will be some player.

Snake said:
ManlyMit said:
Something that really annoys me is the amount of hit-ups Hiku does, does not make any metres whatsoever

He really needs to do better in this facet of his game. I understand that Williams could be ordinary under the high ball, but he was very handy at taking the ball up from inside our own half. Hiku is a handy finisher (17 tries this season), and he is solid under the bomb, but he is severely lacking in metre making. I would like to see him get in at dummy half and run (a la Brett Morris/Justin Hodges), rather than stand one off the ruck and run into the oncoming brick wall.

Morris/Hodges have been around a bit, Hiku is only in his 2nd year - first full year really of First Grade. He's still finding his way, not to mention he's filled in at fullback, centre and left wing.
Playing outside Killer he's probably doing what he's expected to do, there were more than a few instances last year when he took the hit ups but got smashed and lost the ball and plenty were giving it to him for that too.
Maybe he's just working on game management and assessing the situation at hand or maybe it's just 2nd year syndrome or maybe just needs to grow a bit or....
Either way, 17 tries and a regular gig in our side is a great achievement for a guy so young.
Onwards and upwards Peta.

the mauler said:
Frank said:
I don't rate Gutherson. Not yet anyway. If he were to be our permanent fullback next year I would see that as a weakness in our side.

The best work he has done for us has been on the wing.

I agree about Blair though. He was a breath of fresh air when he first played for us. I thought to myself - hallelujah! A player on the wing with some height about him for the high balls.

He adds an extra dimension to our attack.

Don't rate Gutherson?? I gaurentee that's going to come back and bite you. He's an absolute star in the making.

You make my argument for me. My words were "I don't rate him - not yet anyway". He has potential but is a long way off playing regular 1st grade. He could be anything and I'm happy to be proven wrong but it won't be in the next 12 months.

Stevo said:
Toovey cut Oldfield in 2012. His first year as coach.

Yes and people are saying he doesn't drop players that deserve it, I think Hiku is worse than Taufua at the moment

Taufua has killed us all night. I have been really supportive of him but I think he needs to be dropped next week.

Toovey should experiment. Gutho & Blair for wing.
Hiku looks lifeless as well. Mind you, the only one who looks capable of making line break is Skivvy.

delz said:
You don't have to be Einstein to figure out that South's will be bombing Tafua at every opportunity after he's inept display in this area against the Cowboys.

Therefore I would pick Blair on one wing and Hiku on the other both are so much better under the high ball and would go along way to nullify Reynolds and co kicks on the night.

Thoughts ?

You were so right @delz :exclamation:

I hope we didn't pay too much for Hiku; he is pretty slow, and makes too few yards getting us out of trouble. Also, after seeing him defend in the centres against James Roberts (Titans game), I don't think we have a lot to look forward to when Matai/Lyon retire either.

With zero inside info whatsoever, I feel like Jorge is seriously depressed and has been, long before the bombing of the last two weeks. Watching him, he seems like such a loner and while a smile has always been rare, it has been non-existant for some time now. Forget the footy, I hope someone is looking after him.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
With zero inside info whatsoever, I feel like Jorge is seriously depressed and has been, long before the bombing of the last two weeks. Watching him, he seems like such a loner and while a smile has always been rare, it has been non-existant for some time now. Forget the footy, I hope someone is looking after him.

Maybe, if so should not be on the field as it will only get worse MUCH WORSE.

After two weeks and about 7 or 8 try's leaked whomever we play next week will have just one game plan.

We (sadly) are the laughing stock of the game at present.

Seems Similar to what happened in the GF last year to the Wolf Man
We have Taufua long term and need to stick with him!
Anyway something for him to work on in the off season. Let him train with swans a couple of days also :)
May be should also look to train for the back row.
Not long ago people we're talking origin for this guy!

What about the press conference. Just watched it. The very last question. Is he talking about Jorge sounded like it and saying he's a confidence player and he's been practicing it a lot. ? How ? Not from what I've seen. Sounded like he's not going to change it either. How can anything change with the same team.

Last year I was never confident of Wolfy under the high ball, at least he would try and catch them. Jorge has
never been good, I don't know why he was never put under as much pressure..

Gutherson over Blair over Tafua for me atm

I'd be starting with Blair, he's got a bit of size and is safe under the high ball. As for Jorge, his future may be in the second row. I just don't think he's ever going to be confident with the ball in the air.

Jorge sounds and plays like Trex.
'I will improve...' Plus never puts his body on the line in defence.

One of the many tries he let in last night was a grubber that he assumed would beat the chasing winger. :huh:
All he had to do was fall on it :mad:
The very same lazy defence that got the Rorters only try in the 2013 semi that we list 4-0.

Hope he pulls a hammy at training as 2v is loath to flick him :s

He needs his shoulder op and then come back next year as our wrecking ball off the bench. A bit if x factor.

If Ballin doesnt make it back I can see Taufua filling in as hooker with his power runs and hard tackles, he could be difficult to handle and and do quite well, would definitely keep him away from bombs!! Blair/Gutherson to replace his wing spot

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7