Tandy found dead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't actually need or require your approval, @SeaEagleRock8...but thanks all the same.

Humour, as most things, is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

And I wonder how many others here you PM to lecture on good taste...LOL.

Very few. And it wasn't a lecture, I thought it was a discussion and it was amicably resolved.

Anyway this thread seems to be getting off course, it might end up in the general section.

RiverEagle said:
I don't actually require your approval, or otherwise @SeaEagleRock8...but thanks all the same.

Milking it, eh ER? I've seen subjects shanghaied but this thread effort makes me puke. Indignation of one contribution then it is a communal joining in of the sick joke. I don't see the humour. Really. Save all of your efforts for a thread that doesn't involve someone who died too young, whether deliberately or otherwise.

ManlyBacker said:
RiverEagle said:
I don't actually require your approval, or otherwise @SeaEagleRock8...but thanks all the same.

Milking it, eh ER? I've seen subjects shanghaied but this thread effort makes me puke. Indignation of one contribution then it is a communal joining in of the sick joke. I don't see the humour. Really. Save all of your efforts for a thread that doesn't involve someone who died too young, whether deliberately or otherwise.

I conceded a brief stuff-up of a metaphor.
Nothing to do with the actual death of Tandy.
Damn right I was indignant about unnecessary and juvenile jokes about the event, especially in the context of the poster and his interaction with ME.
YES, this thread has diverted of course, but I stand by my views on various irrelevant and largely insensitive humour (throughout the thread). And just as many posters agreed with my ''indignation'' as otherwise.

There are more than just us beefy blokes who read the forums and it should also reflect societal standards as much as possible.

And I've only responded to posts. Counter point if you like. If they don't exist, there can hardly be any ''shanghaing'' by me.

Perhaps this discussion is useful though, despite the tragic catalyst...everyone's sensitivity-meter is unique and should be respected.

Sorry, if you found my position troubling.

A week after the event, I have been thinking about the code for comment on deceased persons.

I don't believe we must never speak ill of the dead. If the issue is timing, what are the factors to assess? I suggest it depends on how harshly we judge the deceased's actions in life. And (I have concluded), on the connection between the deceased and the audience to which the comments are addressed. Certainly I miscalculated that, I didn't think anyone here would feel a connection with Mr Tandy but I accept I was wrong about that.

PS Incidentally I heard today of news overnight that a Brazilian soccer fan was killed during a fan disturbance, struck by a toilet bowl hurled from a grandstand. He was 26 years old. The news was announced by presenters this morning on BSB radio program, ending with the punchline, "the **** hit the fan".

I did not find that joke amusing, myself. Is it the geographical distance that made that event acceptable material for humour? Not sure, but I am always interested in why people have the attitudes, beliefs, and feelings they do.

@SeaEagleRock8

I think time does play a part as does maturity; as you grow older you do see the world and the people that live in it differently. It may come from having a better understanding mortality or maybe a "closer" affinity to it.

I found the Brazilian punchline above mildly amusing, but tragic none the less. I don't think geographical distance makes it more acceptable or less acceptable.

It's an interesting topic for discussion/debate!

And making jokes @SeaEagleRock8 just a couple of hours after his death was way '' too soon '' as they say.
It just wasn't a good look for Silvertails, or Manly.

What we might occasionally joke about at the pub or with people in private, doesn't always equally fly in a very public forum.

I hope the guy's at peace, and the Tandy clan are coping OK.

RiverEagle said:
It just wasn't a good look for Silvertails
I see your first post here was 6 weeks ago. For your information ST has existed for many years as a place where opinions were expressed, and backed up with reasoning when challenged (and they were challenged, very frequently).

There are already plenty of sites for posting disingenuous platitudes, are where alternate views are countered not with discussion but with vitriolic personal attacks and abuse.

If you wanted to make a fresh comment why not refer to one of the new questions raised this week? For example, why do you have no issue with the BSB joke?

You and other newcomers might be interested to check out some of the site's history.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Alternate-Eagles-Official-history-Part-II?highlight=Alternate+Eagles+Official+history

and

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-A-bit-of-history-for-the-newcomers?page=4

Actually mate I've been reading and following Silvertails for almost three years now.
Just because I joined and began posting in January doesn't necessarily mean I'm a newcomer, and that's irrelevant anyway.

Common-sense, maturity and decency actually existed even before Silvertails.

There's nothing disingenuous about what I've said on the matter, but what I choose to comment on, or not, is my choice isn't it?

As far as the BSB reference goes...As I've said in this very thread...Occasionally, if you have nothing good to say, just say nothing.

You admitted your error. I clarified why it was an error, in my view.

And I don't see the point either of arguing or just going around and around on every ''issue'', just for the sake of it.

Life's too short.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
A week after the event, I have been thinking about the code for comment on deceased persons.

I don't believe we must never speak ill of the dead. If the issue is timing, what are the factors to assess? I suggest it depends on how harshly we judge the deceased's actions in life. And (I have concluded), on the connection between the deceased and the audience to which the comments are addressed. Certainly I miscalculated that, I didn't think anyone here would feel a connection with Mr Tandy but I accept I was wrong about that.

PS Incidentally I heard today of news overnight that a Brazilian soccer fan was killed during a fan disturbance, struck by a toilet bowl hurled from a grandstand. He was 26 years old. The news was announced by presenters this morning on BSB radio program, ending with the punchline, "the ... hit the fan".

I did not find that joke amusing, myself. Is it the geographical distance that made that event acceptable material for humour? Not sure, but I am always interested in why people have the attitudes, beliefs, and feelings they do.

How do you get a toilet bowl into a game ??!!!. You can't even get a snack sized packet of chips past security at Brookie.

fans ripped them out and threw them

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-05/fan-killed-by-toilet-bowl-as-violence-hits-world-cup-host-brazil.html

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8