T Rex Williams at crossroads

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
BIG Tony Williams, with a grand total of three NRL games this season, is hours off deciding his future.

Read the full article

If he knocks back a 30% increase in salary to stay here then that is a glowing testament to our culture and the club. Not confident it'll happen though, it's a lot of cash if the figures are right.

LOL at Zorba sticking it to Parra though, he's on the money there.

Whare is another one we have to try to retain. Man it's hard work being this successful and having all these good players.

We should be able to keep Whare for less dough than the Wolf. Shame to lose David Williams but something has gotta give and Whare's ability to cover fullback & centre tip the scales his way.

Terrible to say but Wolfie, Farrar, Kite, Joe, Lussick and Oldfield to go should keep T-Rex and Whare? What do you think? 180, 80, 200,100, 120 and 80 makes 760 and T-Rex 450 plus whare 150.

Darren said:
Terrible to say but Wolfie, Farrar, Kite, Joe, Lussick and Oldfield to go should keep T-Rex and Whare? What do you think? 180, 80, 200,100, 120 and 80 makes 760 and T-Rex 450 plus whare 150.

Then which six players would replace these guys in our top 25, and how much would they be paid?

I see there is still newspaper speculation that Matty is going. Thrilled with many of the re-signings but losing Ballin would really hurt. And the dollars being supposedly offered to big Tony put him in the Choc class and really too expensive. I see Tooves hasn't given up hope http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/toovey-t-rex-will-miss-origin-ii-178382

I dont think I would accept and extra $100000 a season to go and play at Parra with no hope of playing finals,no hope of too many match winning payments and pretty much destroying your chances of playing test and origin football where you can earn that extra amount by playing 3 origins and a couple of tests.

You gotta remember that out of that contract comes tax and management fees so thats gonna take 40%+ off the difference between our offer and theirs...so the gap in terms of what he will get in his hand is not as big as it seems.

If those figures are correct we are still a chance...albeit underdogs to the Bulldogs...Parra would have to be paying much more you would think for him to join that rabble.

I think he is our most important re-signing ( of those left ).

ManlyBacker said:
I see there is still newspaper speculation that Matty is going. Thrilled with many of the re-signings but losing Ballin would really hurt. And the dollars being supposedly offered to big Tony put him in the Choc class and really too expensive. I see Tooves hasn't given up hope http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/toovey-t-rex-will-miss-origin-ii-178382

You don't think Buhrer is an adequate replacement for Ballin ? He just played number 9 at the highest level (albeit for only 10 minutes). The only worry with Ferris at dummy half is that it isn't making the most of his obvious ball running skills, so he may be a bit wasted at 9.

I'm probably among the few, but would prefer to keep T Rex over Ballin if it came to a choice between the 2

That is no slight on the work Ballin does or his value to the side. But when I look at T Rex I see a guy who still has over 10 years left at the top level, an x factor player with the ability to win games on his own, and he is only going to get better. There isn't a player that could replace him and play the role he does in our side

I'm with you KE.

Ballin = Solid to good, T-Rex = Game Breaker

Given the choice I feel Ballin is more easily replaceable than Rex, so the obvious preference would be to keep Rex over Ballin. However I suspect that Ballin would be on nowhere near the money Williams would be asking.

Ballin for mine. Unheralded defender. T-Rex is quite injury/suspension material. A bit like the other Williams.

It's hardly the crossroads. Pretty simple really. Sacrifice a little money by staying at Manly, win competitions, play rep footy and be happy. Or take a little extra money and if he signs with Parra, lose games, no more winning comps, no rep footy and be miserable eg Sandow.

Chip and Chase said:
I'm with you KE.

Ballin = Solid to good, T-Rex = Game Breaker

Given the choice I feel Ballin is more easily replaceable than Rex, so the obvious preference would be to keep Rex over Ballin. However I suspect that Ballin would be on nowhere near the money Williams would be asking.

No. No. No. No. No.
Ballin plays every minute of every match. His $ per minute played is probably one-fifth that of T Rex. He is so much better value.
Apart from T-Rex's injury concerns, his judiciary record is concerning. If he was to be cited for a dangerous throw again he would get a huge loading that would take him out for half a season.

On teh other hand Ballin's $ per match winning play would be 5 times that of T-Rex. If winning the comp was based on mimimum $/minutes played then Ballin would be a great signing for us.

The same argument about injury and suspension liability was bandied around about Matai for years. Look at him now......not many people calling for him to be moved on because he isn't worth the money.

I'm not hating on Ballin, I like the guy and think he is a great player. However I'm just saying if it came to a choice between the two I'd rather keep the Rex as I think he offers more impact and is less easily replaced.

Ballin is much more important to our club than TRex and any of you who don't think so must only watch the highlights and get all tingly when Joey laughs at the big fella running over halfbacks.

Love TRex and hate to see him go but would prefer Ballin to stay than Tony.

Replacing Trex is easy - Watmough to left edge and Buhrer to lock.

Replacing a player who never breaks down thus offering the type of consistency that the forwatds and halves running off him have enjoyed and moulded their own game to is a lot harder.

If it means keeping MB then don't let the door hit you on the way out Rex.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2