T-Rex still at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Masked Eagle

Bencher
Well according to the NRL site he is. Just checked the squad list under the stats area and he's still an option for the Sea Eagles for 2013, he is also available under the dogs list of players.

Perhaps the NRL have reviewed the footage on his last dozen or so games for us and have concluded he still owes us some games?

Masked Eagle said:
Perhaps the NRL have reviewed the footage on his last dozen or so games for us and have concluded he still owes us some games?

He could be playing for us until 2020 if that's the case.

Unfortunately Manly is short a Player and $80,00 due to the Son of Sam's backended contract for that sloth :mad:

There was talk that Manly were lobbying the NRL to not have him count in the top 25, but I haven't heard if anything ensued.

I guess the Panthers are in the same boat, as the Roosters did not sign Jennings at the full 650k of his contract. And there would be similar issues with the Titans when Prince was offloaded to the Broncos.

Its all a mess and the ARLC have to draw up guidelines ASAP.

HappilyManly said:
Unfortunately Manly is short a Player and $80,00 due to the Son of Sam's backended contract for that sloth :mad:

There was talk that Manly were lobbying the NRL to not have him count in the top 25, but I haven't heard if anything ensued.

I guess the Panthers are in the same boat, as the Roosters did not sign Jennings at the full 650k of his contract. And there would be similar issues with the Titans when Prince was offloaded to the Broncos.

Its all a mess and the ARLC have to draw up guidelines ASAP.

Can you please explain further. I don't quite understand what you are saying?

T-Rex is different to Jennings and Prince because he is out of contract, so how can he have cost us $80k this year?

Masked Eagle said:
T-Rex is different to Jennings and Prince because he is out of contract, so how can he have cost us $80k this year?

I was trying to find the thread where this had come to light last October.
It was related to Manly having to offload Kitey to the Tigers as we were over the cap due to the backended Contracts that Des drew up.

So T-rex is still on our books, at 80k from memory, as his contract was drawn up to spread the payments into his 'option' year or something like it in legal terms.
All Clubs do this.

However,it is causing dramas, as these Players are also part of the 25-30 Registered Roster at their previous Club. This is what Perry was lobbying the NRL to amend, as in fact Trex can not play for two Teams, yet he is on the NRL roster for two teams.
So the squad is short and with injuries etc, no Club can rely on the availability of the reduced squad.

Deferred payment of $80k means he is technically still contracted to us, or rather we are contracted to him to pay him that money. It was a stupid deal to include back ended payments in an option year.

Why not fine him for non attendance at training this year, say $80K ;)

Masked Eagle said:
mosto said:

Bugger fining him. Get him deregistered!

mosto said:

Bugger fining him. Get him deregistered!

No what we should do is keep him at training, not work him too hard, feed him high carbs, starches and when he's totally unfit weighing around 200 kg send him to dog territory.

It'll take them all next season to fitten him up.

HappilyManly said:
Masked Eagle said:

I was trying to find the thread where this had come to light last October.
It was related to Manly having to offload Kitey to the Tigers as we were over the cap due to the backended Contracts that Des drew up.

So T-rex is still on our books, at 80k from memory, as his contract was drawn up to spread the payments into his 'option' year or something like it in legal terms.
All Clubs do this.

However,it is causing dramas, as these Players are also part of the 25-30 Registered Roster at their previous Club. This is what Perry was lobbying the NRL to amend, as in fact Trex can not play for two Teams, yet he is on the NRL roster for two teams.
So the squad is short and with injuries etc, no Club can rely on the availability of the reduced squad.

I see. I'm guessing T-Rex's $80k gets him into our top 25 as its above the minimum payment. Maybe we should renegotiate for 2 lots of $40k so the payment disappears into our second tier cap ... I suppose this really illustrates the gamble ALL clubs take with regards to the cap. What seems like a good idea at the time can really bite you if things don't go according to plan. Its also why we as fans can't automatically assume a clubs salary cap position based on the ins & outs a club has in any one off season.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4