T Rex in trouble for being....gangsta?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-furore-over-gangsta-gaffes/story-e6frexnr-1226019395712

A LOVE heart, a family gesture or sheer irresponsibility? Few people can claim they haven't played up for a group photo but the pranks turned a little sour for the NRL's gangsta wannabes yesterday.

Manly Sea Eagles powerhouse Tony Williams was reprimanded for displaying hand symbols that are linked to American rap gangs while posing for a Sea Eagles team photo published in The Daily Telegraph this week.

Three other players are under scrutiny for similar hand gestures that appear to be gang or tribal-related.

Some may think the gestures were merely harmless fun but yesterday it set off the dog whistles in the land of talkback and through the NRL clubs involved.

Of all the clubs, Manly take the matter most seriously.

Williams admitted to Manly officials that his hand signal was based on those used by the notorious Eastside and Westside rap gangs in the US.

Sydney Roosters players Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Mose Masoe were yesterday investigated over hand signals in the Roosters' team photo but club officials claimed there was "nothing sinister".

Canterbury player Junior Tia-Kilifi was also caught displaying a hand gesture in the Bulldogs' team photo.

"I didn't know what the sign meant but we have spoken to Tony and told him it is unacceptable," senior Manly official Peter Peters said.

"Tony accepted that. They [the signs] will no longer be seen in any Manly team photos."

A former detective took a hard line on the pranks, insisting players who use finger signs to promote gangs were "idiots who should grow up".

Dr Michael Kennedy, a former police detective who is now a senior lecturer of policing at the University of Western Sydney, was angered by the players' actions."It says more about their intellectual capacity than their football ability," he said. "They are idiots. It is superficial crap. These guys aren't gangsters. The Polynesian culture identifies with the rap and gangster stuff. With celebrity status comes responsibility. They should grow up."Roosters CEO Steve Noyce stressed Waerea-Hargreaves and Masoe were not promoting gangs.

"Jared said it is a symbol that represents his family," Noyce said.

"There is nothing sinister. And Mose just said he was relaxing his hand."

Penrith hooker Masada Iosefa was also photographed showing a hand symbol but told Panthers officials that it was simply a love heart.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said players had to be careful their actions were not misinterpreted."Players need to be careful that things they do are not misinterpreted but equally they are entitled to not be criticised if their intentions are innocent."

This is all a beat up and only due to Gallops inabilty to lead the game. He encourages the media to put a bod spin on everything due to the double standards and lack of action on the real issues.

Shane link said:
\"And Mose just said he was relaxing his hand. ..
NRL chief executive David Gallop said players had to be careful their actions were not misinterpreted.\" Players need to be careful that things they do are not misinterpreted but equally they are entitled to not be criticised if their intentions are innocent.\"
David's empathy with Mose is understandable, he has had to relax his own hand a lot lately.

what a load of ****
another beat up, but it was originaly brought up by David Fordham on 2gb on Wed arvo

425992-gangsta-gaffe.jpg

It is a beat up, but if they are gang gestures I question the mentality of elite athletes wanting to emulate criminals.

Hence the name t-rex.  Big body and small brain.

He had better put in a 100% effort every game this year or back to Parramatta he goes.

So if that represents JWH's family he's obviously related to Mork and Mindy! Nanoo nanoo..........

No one seems to complain when Sutton scores and does a Bra Boys gesture.
Call me odd, but I have more problems with local gangs than I do with American based gangs.

I don;t care if it means he finds his badass on the field, rather than run around like a dopey schoolboy.

Gallop is behind this.  Wants to take the pressure of himself and put it on a few players.  A pure non-issue and a beat up. 

Blake link said:
No one seems to complain when Sutton scores and does a Bra Boys gesture.
Call me odd, but I have more problems with local gangs than I do with American based gangs.

Absolutely. He has that tatt'd across his chest or back doesn't he? T-Rex is simply flashing something he saw 2pac do. It's not like he is actually affiliated with a f*cking gang, it's ridiculous.

As Gangsta as this guy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1JBrdbsVm0[/youtube]

I'd like to see T-Rex concentrate on being a gangsta on the field rather than what he has dished up so far.

Good news about this article is that its on a friday ! Footy starts tonight ! If you hadnt notcied all the players mentioned seem to all have maori backgrounds cram it to those dont think maoris dont assume theyre gangstas !

The roosters player's hand looks like it's a sideways Vulcan (Mr spock from star trek) greeting,rather than some stupid gang thing.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2