1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sydney clubs on death row

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, May 21, 2008.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14

2. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Isn't it good we're not on the teat of the Leagues Club like most of our major arch rivals?  We're 10 years ahead of most and this is going to allow us to become a major Sydney (and hated) power again. 

3. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I dont have much sympathy for clubs who rely on getting income from pensioners on the pokies and smokers giving everyone cancer. 

4. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Actually last night I heard that the weekend trading at the Leagues has dropped from $150k per day down to $65K per day over recent months.

5. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    The Bunnies should stay in WA and take up GayFL.

6. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Nobody goes to the Dragqueen's games or the hapless rabbelo's.  Both teams should be shown the door or at least relocate them as far away from Sydney as possible.  And while I'm showing the door to those ****e teams, I'd kick Gallop out the door with them.  The games gone backwards under him.   

7. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    tbh, i am not up on all the play with this stuff

Basically, what i want to know, is if manly is under any threat ? Already been there once so i hope the lessons were learned

8. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    Manly is okay for now as we are doing well. Bad weather, low crowds and lower sponsorship could hurt us though.

What irks me is that the Sharks and Panthers are in the same boat now as they were prior to the Supergreed wars. They went with News to ensure their survival, along with the Judases at Belmore and said 'Stuff You' to the other Sydney Clubs. Having since lost Norths, Balmain, Wests (in their own right) and Illawarra (it is a St G team) it is ironic that they are now again in danger.

The News Limited agenda is still to cut down teams - but whether they will let clubs fall on their own swords or push them over, remains to be seen.

9. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    I have no issue with New Ltds agenda regarding Sydney having too many teams, we do.  I just pray we are not one of the teams to fold or relocate.  Although I would rather relocate than merge.

10. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I do have problems - what was done during SuperLeague was bastardry, placing teams against other teams in selfish interests rather than what was best for the whole game.

Let the clubs fall off the perch on their own rather than orchestrating it. Brand new clubs like the Cowboys, Storm and Broncos trying to shaft clubs like Wests, Balmain, Norths, Manly etc stunk, especially when it was in favour of Dogs, Sharks and Panthers. Had Superleague succeeded there would be no Manly, No Parra and No Roosters etc The Beagles experiment showed what would it was - House football with no heart, culture, history or passion!!!

11. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    If a couple of teams do rellocate, it makes the Sydney sponsorship market that much more attractive to Manly as Mata said.

12. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    i tell u wat i wont lose any sleep if penrith or cronulla fold

those ****s did their best to kill us during the sl war.

wat goes around comes around lads

13. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    What about the mountains of million $$$ the member for Penrith has attained for their ground, only to see them potentially go bust !!

LoL.