Sydney clubs on death row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sydney clubs on death row

By Josh Massoud | May 21, 2008 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

NRL boss David Gallop has stunned the league world by revealing several Sydney clubs are on death row.

With the city at fever pitch ahead of tonight's Origin opener at ANZ Stadium, Gallop delivered the sobering news that Sydney can no longer support nine teams under the current economic and political climate.

Yesterday's meeting of all 16 club CEOs was presented with depressing figures that illustrate the receding bottom lines of leagues clubs.

The NSW Government's 40 per cent poker machine tax and the introduction of smoking bans has led to a 10 per cent decay in revenue across all NRL-aligned clubs this financial year. Chillingly, last month's earnings were down 14 per cent on those recorded for April 2007.

Rising taxes and shrinking revenues have crunched outfits that are traditionally reliant on leagues club grants to survive.

After farewelling $2 million from their grant this year, St George Illawarra are bracing for another painful cut in 2009. Parramatta and Penrith are both eying $500,000 cuts, as are the Roosters.

Having fielded wholesale concerns yesterday, Gallop emerged with a firm belief the situation is \"nearing crisis point''.

\"The message is coming through in no uncertain terms that some Sydney clubs will die if things don't change,'' Gallop said. \"It's a matter that has been raised on any number of occasions but we are fast approaching a time when government needs to confront just how severe the situation is becoming.''

Although Gallop didn't name the clubs most at risk, it is believed the NRL holds grave concerns over the sustainability of St George Illawarra, Cronulla and Penrith.

It has been nearly a year since Gallop appealed in writing to NSW premier and Dragons fan Morris Iemma about the issue. NRL insiders claim Iemma's office has been silent ever since, although Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald has spoken to his deputy John Watkins.

All Sydney-based NRL bosses held a preliminary meeting about the pokies tax at Canterbury Leagues Club on Monday morning to thrash out a relief package.

Their suggestions will be parlayed into a landmark summit of all NSW-based leagues clubs on Friday, to be hosted by Parramatta.

It is understood the clubs will approach the government for a partial rebate based on charter spending, including football club grants.

Iemma is in China this week and does not return until Friday. With no guarantees, Sydney clubs yesterday discussed alternative means of raising money and cutting costs to alleviate the black hole.

Moving more games to the Central Coast's Bluetongue Stadium - which offers attractive hiring terms - appears to be one of the most popular options.

Sydney clubs have also discussed moving home games against Queensland-based sides to Suncorp Stadium, with the Bulldogs agreeing to play the Cowboys in Brisbane later this year.

Sydney rugby league clubs facing swift extinction

Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett | May 21, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-2722,00.html

MANLY chief executive Grant Mayer has warned some Sydney clubs could be only one bad year away from extinction because of the game's funding crisis.

Speaking after yesterday's meeting of club chief executives, Mayer suggested a combination of poor \"on and off the field\" results could spell the end for a Sydney club.

His dire warning for the game highlighted the increasing threat to Sydney's reputation as the spiritual home of the game, which is under siege as the NRL encourages clubs to take games to the Central Coast or interstate in a bid to survive.

\"Literally, I would say a combination of poor results on and off the field could wipe out one of the NRL's Sydney-based clubs,\" Mayer said.

\"The situation is that dire.\"

With the Australian Rugby League struggling to sell out the opening State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium tonight, the game in Sydney is under attack from all quarters.

Several Sydney clubs already play home games at regional venues such as the Central Coast, where they are guaranteed financial returns.

South Sydney has secured an agreement with the West Australian government to take home games to Perth next season. That is likely to happen more often as the poker machine tax continues to bite into club finances.

Although moving games away from home has the potential to alienate supporters, it could be a positive for the NRL.

The game's governing body has suggested Gold Coast as a possible venue for Sydney clubs, a move that would take greater advantage of the newly opened Skilled Stadium and strengthen the game's foothold in the area before the AFL starts a team there in 2011.

The alternative for Sydney clubs is unpalatable. Leagues clubs have already been forced into savage funding cuts due to increased taxes and NRL chief executive David Gallop reiterated some would die unless the game found more money. \"We are working with the leagues club industry to provide clear projections but the message is coming through in no uncertain terms that some Sydney clubs will die if things don't change,\" Gallop said.

Parramatta is locked into long-term deals at Parramatta and ANZ Stadiums, but chief executive Denis Fitzgerald described the Gold Coast as a viable alternative.

\"That's a definite option with the way the Gold Coast crowds have been,\" Fitzgerald said.

The Sydney Roosters have been taking games to Gosford for the past six years, usually against out-of-town teams North Queensland, Melbourne and Canberra that struggle to attract a decent crowd at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan agreed it was important to look outside the square as the combined effects of smoking bans and increased poker machine taxes start to hurt clubs reliant on leagues club grants.

\"The concept we were discussing was looking at any way we can increase revenue because of the gaming tax which is starting to hit the leagues club and then affecting our club and junior sport in general,\" Canavan said.

\"We got a great start up there, there's a lot of rugby league fans up there and it's an option where you can make some money.\"

In contract news, the day after Graham Murray stood down as Cowboys coach, prop Carl Webb has signed a two-year extension with North Queensland.

Webb has played 63 of his 129 first-grade games for the Cowboys since leaving the Broncos in 2005. He has also reignited his Origin career and broke into the Test team while in the tropics.

\"This is a terrific signing for the club. Carl has played his best football at the Cowboys and we look forward to that continuing,\" chief executive Peter Parr said.

Isn't it good we're not on the teat of the Leagues Club like most of our major arch rivals?  We're 10 years ahead of most and this is going to allow us to become a major Sydney (and hated) power again. 

I dont have much sympathy for clubs who rely on getting income from pensioners on the pokies and smokers giving everyone cancer. 

Actually last night I heard that the weekend trading at the Leagues has dropped from $150k per day down to $65K per day over recent months.

Nobody goes to the Dragqueen's games or the hapless rabbelo's.  Both teams should be shown the door or at least relocate them as far away from Sydney as possible.  And while I'm showing the door to those ****e teams, I'd kick Gallop out the door with them.  The games gone backwards under him.   

tbh, i am not up on all the play with this stuff

Basically, what i want to know, is if manly is under any threat ? Already been there once so i hope the lessons were learned

Manly is okay for now as we are doing well. Bad weather, low crowds and lower sponsorship could hurt us though.

What irks me is that the Sharks and Panthers are in the same boat now as they were prior to the Supergreed wars. They went with News to ensure their survival, along with the Judases at Belmore and said 'Stuff You' to the other Sydney Clubs. Having since lost Norths, Balmain, Wests (in their own right) and Illawarra (it is a St G team) it is ironic that they are now again in danger.

The News Limited agenda is still to cut down teams - but whether they will let clubs fall on their own swords or push them over, remains to be seen.

I have no issue with New Ltds agenda regarding Sydney having too many teams, we do.  I just pray we are not one of the teams to fold or relocate.  Although I would rather relocate than merge.

I do have problems - what was done during SuperLeague was bastardry, placing teams against other teams in selfish interests rather than what was best for the whole game.

Let the clubs fall off the perch on their own rather than orchestrating it. Brand new clubs like the Cowboys, Storm and Broncos trying to shaft clubs like Wests, Balmain, Norths, Manly etc stunk, especially when it was in favour of Dogs, Sharks and Panthers. Had Superleague succeeded there would be no Manly, No Parra and No Roosters etc The Beagles experiment showed what would it was - House football with no heart, culture, history or passion!!!

If a couple of teams do rellocate, it makes the Sydney sponsorship market that much more attractive to Manly as Mata said.

i tell u wat i wont lose any sleep if penrith or cronulla fold

those ****s did their best to kill us during the sl war.

wat goes around comes around lads

What about the mountains of million $$$ the member for Penrith has attained for their ground, only to see them potentially go bust !!

LoL.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6