SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

SIX NRL clubs could be forced to play home games at Allianz Stadium if chief executive Dave Smith is successful in lobbying for a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

To convince the government to fund the project, Smith has given a guarantee that it would become the new home of rugby league and be used in similar fashion to the AFL at the MCG and Etihad. Clubs forced to abandon their traditional old home grounds could include Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths and St George Illawarra who would join the Roosters as joint tenants. I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

Isn't there an administrative role in country badminton that Smith can take up ?

Whatever gets him to leave rugby league alone.

Isn't the final decision the clubs to decide? Watching Manly play in a 20% capacity ground, or a packed tribal brooky. What looks better for the game?

A complete and utter misunderstanding of League, it's fans and Sydney in general. Moore park is a nightmare to get to and from, and this will only lead to less people attending games.

This isn't field of dreams Mr Smith, if you build it no-one comes

A complete and utter misunderstanding of League, it's fans and Sydney in general. Moore park is a nightmare to get to and from, and this will only lead to less people attending games.

This isn't field of reams Mr Smith, if you build it no-one comes

'field of reams' is an awesome typo!!!!!!

Plan b is all games to be played at Rat Park, with pirate mini golf as half time entertainment.
I'm on board. And may as well just use the Warriewood shopping centre for food and booze. Walking there and back during the game would be faster than lining up

Gould needs to run the show ( He ****s me to tears) ,but someone along those lines needs to step up & save our game from these number crunching morons...

I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

A journo tried to verify a story before publishing??? Now I've seen everything!!

At least he still published it as fact without receipt of any such verification, otherwise I would think BE made the whole thing up!

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
I understand the sentiment in relation to Smith, this call is out of whack about what the Sydney fans want. However the reality is that if each club is to be sustainable the league need to use bigger stadiums for some fixtures.

The reality at the moment, is Parra, Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers and Dragons make a motza when they play a Sydney derby at Homebush.

The rorters get that at Allianz too. We can get a capacity of 20K now and that is sardines time. Please do not misunderstand I love Brooky, have been going to games for 40 years there. I really hope that that stadium gets rebuilt. I fear we are at least 5 years from seeing that and the gulf between us and the clubs I mention will get wider.

I would like to see the club keep 8 of our 12 games at Brooky and maybe 2 games at SF
S or Homebush for a big Sydney derby and 2 at other venues.

I want to see the club around for generations to come and I think a model like this will sustain the club until we can get Brooky up to a 25k modern capacity.

I understand the sentiment in relation to Smith, this call is out of whack about what the Sydney fans want. However the reality is that if each club is to be sustainable the league need to use bigger stadiums for some fixtures.

The reality at the moment, is Parra, Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers and Dragons make a motza when they play a Sydney derby at Homebush.

The rorters get that at Allianz too. We can get a capacity of 20K now and that is sardines time. Please do not misunderstand I love Brooky, have been going to games for 40 years there. I really hope that that stadium gets rebuilt. I fear we are at least 5 years from seeing that and the gulf between us and the clubs I mention will get wider.

I would like to see the club keep 8 of our 12 games at Brooky and maybe 2 games at SF
S or Homebush for a big Sydney derby and 2 at other venues.

I want to see the club around for generations to come and I think a model like this will sustain the club until we can get Brooky up to a 25k modern capacity.
It's not quite that simple Sheridan. The Olympic stadium runs at a loss, and pays clubs to play there. The gov authority that runs it prefers it to be used than not, but it is only sustainable because the government props it up. Would have to be the worst place to watch sport in sydney. They should issue telescopes.

I agree that Homebush is not that ideal to watch a game.

The reality is that we need a 16K crowd at Brooky to break even and that is hard when we have a wet day at Brooky and the crowd struggles to get to 10K.

At Homebush and SFS there are better transport and facilities for fans at the moment.

Look for example this Easter coming, Dogs v Rabbits and Tigers v Eels will attract over 50K crowds, Easter Saturday and Sunday are available there and we are considering taking a home game against Canberra to the bush. While I applaud the club wanting to promote the game in the bush, playing at Homebush is a no brainer for the Easter weekend as it gives the club a great chance to get not only some cash to help things out but spread the gospel of our brand. Families will love the idea of the Easter show and a game as well.

I dont disagree with what you say Shoe1, I just want the club to consider other options

Shane Richardson is pushing this crap too. Just because Souths moved from Redfern he thinks it'll work for the rest.

Souffs changed the way they did business and they are now the most successful club in Sydney in relation to marketing, merchandising and members, Homebush has worked for them and they have promoted their brand.

Please understand that I despise the vermin but we need to consider that they now have over 30K members, thats amazing and are set to dominate things off the field for the next decade.

Joe Kelly I think was hired by the club because he has overseen a lot of this there.

Souffs changed the way they did business and they are now the most successful club in Sydney in relation to marketing, merchandising and members, Homebush has worked for them and they have promoted their brand.

Please understand that I despise the vermin but we need to consider that they now have over 30K members, thats amazing and are set to dominate things off the field for the next decade.

Joe Kelly I think was hired by the club because he has overseen a lot of this there.

I agree, we do need to look outside the square a bit to ensure the longevity of our club.

I know people will howl me down for saying this but I reckon we should move some games to get a bigger crowd, even if that means the bigger crowd is the opposition supporters .

It's been done in Brisbane and with great financial success.

Brisbane and melbourne are different to sydney, it's just not feasible to travel to those larger venues anytime but a Saturday afternoon

Brisbane and melbourne are different to sydney, it's just not feasible to travel to those larger venues anytime but a Saturday afternoon

Or a Sunday I imagine??

But agree it's pretty hard on a Friday night.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7