Switch hit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Awesome to watch that 6 last night by Warner but given he faced up as a left hander then switched to a right hander it raises the question of what happens with wides etc. given how tight they are in 50 and T20 formats.

Not sure what the answer is here.

Do they just use the off side wide ruling? If so then is it only to switch hitters? and if so is it only after they have done it once in an innings?

I only believe it should apply to those who switch hands rather than just a "backwards" shot.

He murdered that RHS six further than his LHS effort. Got it sweet. He's got a dead eye, I'll give him that much.

In answer to your question, I think your summation is right. If the batsman switches stance (regardless of whether he switches grip to suit) than he should lose all wide advantage down what was the original leg side, unless it is so wide that it is outside the normal off side wide line to the adjusted stance position. So the wide channel for someone who switches stance should be two offside lines, if that makes sense. It's too hard to determine at the point of release if the bowler was bowling at a RH or LH stance, depending on how early the batsman moves, so it is unfair to punish them with tight legside wide rule. Furthermore I think the bowler is well within their rights to pull out of their delivery stride if they see the batsman move. The field isn't allow to change as the bowler is running in, and a batsman will pull away if they suspect that is the case, so why should the bowler not be able to keep the batsman honest in his stance.

As far as "reverse" shots go, then normal wide rules should apply as there is no change in stance.

Kasper was n the paper today suggesting a few ideas similar to that.

Also touched on the LBW and pitching outside leg rule - agree with him that switch hit should negate that too.

Went on to suggest that a bowler might bowl opposite arm.

Whiched raised another idea can bowlers now choose to bowl over/around at will?

I think if you switch hit then there should be no defined leg side, so you can be out LBW no matter where it pitches.

A switch hit is different to a reverse sweep though, as the grip doesn't change there.

I'll be impressed when does it to a fast bowler at 140km/h

Basically he's just showing off to get some publicity.

They gave him a mic the next innings and he got bugger all.

He's no Gilchrist yet!

You didn't watch his innings in Perth Byso, you only watch the short forms of the game?

He'll be remembered for that innings in Perth, also his innings in Hobart for a lot longer than his switch hit in a meaningless t20 game.

Volley said:
You didn't watch his innings in Perth Byso, you only watch the short forms of the game?

He'll be remembered for that innings in Perth, also his innings in Hobart for a lot longer than his switch hit in a meaningless t20 game.
Both those innings were stands outs in matches when everyone else struggled with the bat on green tops.

Byso I do believe yadav and inshant were bowling around the 140km mark

My point is he did a switch hit against a dude bowling @ 100k. Big deal I say. Do it against a 140k delivery and I'll be impressed.

Haha, it's an impressive shot no matter who's bowling. It'd be freakish if someone did it in a 5th grade game in Bedgerabong.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6