Surely they can't be serious about this (Brookie Oval)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's a tough one Mick, tradition vs future. The worry was us being 500k down in June!! We can't get the revenue to stay ahead. The council hasn't done it, Kirsch and many are totally against it. Brookvale doesn't deserve a team. Collingwood, Carlton left a long time ago. I remember reading Collingwood people saying they would never go again, hmm, 90 thousand against Carlton at the MCG. As if you wouldn't follow Manly elsewhere!!

We keep giving home games away, bet they would do more if they could, 30 thousand at sfs would surely be double the money we make at brookie, also, the ridiculous rent we pay!! 300-400k, lots of people wouldn't take children (I don't)

the game the other day 20k and we were doing cartwheels!! , how many more at sfs?? 2008 semis vs cowboys and 30k, not many cowboy fans there!!

We aren't going to boost our average by 15k just by moving to the SFS, just ain't happening.

I mean I like the SFS & all (if we couldn't play at Brookie then that would be my next choice) but it won't make fans materialize overnight for us. By all means move big fixtures there but Brookvale is fine for most games on our calendar.

Btw should we ever move to the SFS I demand that they open the Carlsberg bar on MWSE game-days. If I never have to even catch a whiff of Toohey's New or JB & Coke again I will die a happy man.

Actually I hate to say it but I feel we will be at the SFS in the future, I highly doubt the Council will ever get a stadium we need, the governments of both persuasions will never provide the funding. As much as I love brookie, I cant see it being our long term home

Wolfpack said:
We aren't going to boost our average by 15k just by moving to the SFS, just ain't happening.

So true. At finals time we get 30k, but when we play the roosters or tigpies at SFS there is usually less Manly fans at those games than at Brookie.

We could potentially loose Manly fans going to the games based on what I've seen at SFS in the past.

How the hell can MANLY play out of EASTS territory?

You can't get Northern Beaches people accross Spit Bridge for a free feed & pissup (my work have tried it, they really will knock back free food, beer & a cabcharge) so how can you expect them to travel that far to fork out cash?

Yes we have supporters from everywhere but the highest concentration is on the beaches. More importantly, the highest concentration of casual fans is on the Beaches & they're the ones who swell the crowd for big games because it's easy to support the locals locally.

same said about Collingwood, Carlton etc and hasn't slowed them!! fickle fans if they want to see their club survive!! Surely the would travel 30 mins to see their team??

What's the point of having a club called say manly and having to travel to say the roosters home stadium to watch them play. Might as well have one club the sea chickens.

And I wouldn't be going to watch them!

Darren said:
same said about Collingwood, Carlton etc and hasn't slowed them!! fickle fans if they want to see their club survive!! Surely the would travel 30 mins to see their team??

Melbourne is different to Sydney.

Melbourne is very central & has fantastic public transport, Sydney is the opposite.

Also, what Duff said. Most people from the Northern Beaches don't want to have to leave the Beaches for stuff like the footy, we are the insular penninsula after all.

Darren said:
The big difference Darren is that the MCG (and Etihad) have excellent public transport links to vast areas of suburban Melbourne. Heavy rail and tram links run past the doorstep of those stadiums. And a better developed freeway/tollway/trunk road network as well, than Sydney. The road/public transport links between the northern beaches and the Moore Park area are tenuous at best. That is why suburban grounds are still very much a part of the NRL equation in Sydney. If clubs like SGI and Cronulla can resist the siren call of Moore Park, which is much closer/easier for their local supporters to access, why should we be any different, when we actually have a stronger case for remaining at Brookvale?

Upgrading Brookvale to a decent stadium will happen - irrespective of the views of a few Johnny-come-lately types in and around Brookvale Valley.

I think David Perry will prove to be a very smart buy as CEO, as he will approach this challenge with the experience of watching first hand as Peter Doust mustered the money for the Dragons.

agree Phantar, it really is only a financial consideration!! Love to see Brookie remodeled, I'm sure all of us want that but if it ain't going to be given, we need to be told once and for all and financial viability is the main priority. We can't and shouldn't keep asking Penn and Qantum to keep pouring their dough in every year so we can "stay" at the run down ground.

Penrith today was a good example, new stand on western side, eastern side has full length and concourse for free!! great food services and toilets and hills at either end. They had jumping castles, pass the ball, 20 bucks to get in!! Top parking etc

$22 to get into GA, parking is easy when in the country and they managed only 13K there, our food and dunnies are fine with only 13K

One of the key stirrers on Warringah Council acting against the Sea Eagles' best interests on Brookie Oval is Vince De Luca. Yes?

Disturbing then that today's Manly Daily front page story reveals he is an employee of the Liberal Party.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/code-of-conduct-report-out-in-the-open/

Darren said:
Penrith today was a good example, new stand on western side, eastern side has full length and concourse for free!! great food services and toilets and hills at either end. They had jumping castles, pass the ball, 20 bucks to get in!! Top parking etc

Yeah but no matter what they do to it its still in Penrith...

The thing is, The Goons and other teams that have had their grounds done up are all in labour held seats with league loving members. When he was Premier, Iemma poured money into SGI because he's a fanatic supporter. The Gong and Newcastle are in marginal seats so will get money spent on local infrastructure. What the problem is with Brookvale is the Council seem to want a park developed. A stadium is not a park, and a park is not a stadium. They are not going to spend 30Million to accommodate a football team. The local politicos are not interested as well. No help there. The SFS might be the future with an occasional game played at 'Brookvale Park'. Games like Manly v Raiders, a game that would attract a smallish crowd. We would get paid to play out of the SFS and save ourselves the 350K in rent. I live in the inner west along with other Manly supporters and I'd keep going to the SFS. I do when we play there now. The game is between two sets of players with two sets of supporters. What happens now is that supporters of the opposition don't travel to Brookvale, too far, no parking, no public transport. Numbers of supporters would level out at the SFS with more turning up from the opposition, if you get what I mean.

DSM5 said:
The thing is, The Goons and other teams that have had their grounds done up are all in labour held seats with league loving members. When he was Premier, Iemma poured money into SGI because he's a fanatic supporter. The Gong and Newcastle are in marginal seats so will get money spent on local infrastructure.

Exactly DSM5.

Cherie Burton from Labour is the local member of the Kogarah area and she also loves SGI. She has been photographed with her family on the front of their local paper all decked out in SGI gear. So it's not hard to see how SGI secured funding.

It's a much harder proposition for Manly.

DSM5 said:
The thing is, The Goons and other teams that have had their grounds done up are all in labour held seats with league loving members. When he was Premier, Iemma poured money into SGI because he's a fanatic supporter. The Gong and Newcastle are in marginal seats so will get money spent on local infrastructure. What the problem is with Brookvale is the Council seem to want a park developed. A stadium is not a park, and a park is not a stadium. They are not going to spend 30Million to accommodate a football team. The local politicos are not interested as well. No help there. The SFS might be the future with an occasional game played at 'Brookvale Park'. Games like Manly v Raiders, a game that would attract a smallish crowd. We would get paid to play out of the SFS and save ourselves the 350K in rent. I live in the inner west along with other Manly supporters and I'd keep going to the SFS. I do when we play there now. The game is between two sets of players with two sets of supporters. What happens now is that supporters of the opposition don't travel to Brookvale, too far, no parking, no public transport. Numbers of supporters would level out at the SFS with more turning up from the opposition, if you get what I mean.

Newcastle has only been a marginal since the last election, before that it was fairly solid labor. The reason it got money was the world cup bid, that and it has the benefit of being a dual-code venue.

I think our biggest problem is that we missed the boat - when the GFC happened the federal government were willing to throw money at anything that moved and some things that didn't. But the council never made an application under any of the programs that would have led to significant money being dropped into the ground.

I think that if we had a good well designed plan sitting in the council offices, ready to build then we would find it much easier to get government money.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4