Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Next on 9 news: Crisis at Manly

Look. Except for Brett, the two asking for a release come up for contract renewal in a year so beating the drum is a way to ensure what happened to Glen doesn't happen to them.

If I was Watmough and Matai, I would be concerned that there are a couple of potential stars coming through with the Trbojevic boys and Gutherson, who are ready made to replace them as the next generation. They're getting older and they want security.

What happened to Glen could happen to them, But I would be surprised if any of them leave before the end of 2015. As Niccipops pointed out, Watmough is on one of those crazy back ended contracts and will be on, I understand, $950,000 for the year. If Manly refuse to release him, then another team would have to offer to buy out his contract, and that would take a huge chunk out of any clubs salary cap as well as the contract they would have to offer.

Brett Stewart may be hurting, but I doubt Souths would want him and again he has two year left on his contract, which would have to be bought out.

Matai may push to leave and that would be unfortunate. But as indicated there are some ready made future stars coming through who would initially be cheaper and ensure that DCE and Foran are retained. Quite frankly Manly cant lose out of this.

RE: Triple M

My worry with all this is that none of them will want to take a pay cut to do it and apart from Matai I can't see any getting equal money if reports are try.

Matai appears to just want to make his last contract a superannuation one like Kite did.

This might mean that we are left paying the difference and it comes under the salary cap.

News flash to the want away brigade.

The Manly Sea Eagles have forged a reputation and culture over 68 years.

Your contribution has been so appreciated but if you choose to leave, then bugger off!! Cause none of you are bigger than the club!!

The door swings both ways. You want loyalty from the core players then they have to have to give it to them as well

bob dylan said:
Brett's off to The Dogs, it's a done deal if if he gets out of his current deal.
That would make me hurl. Can hardly believe that Manly would release Brett to go to the dogs with Des though.

Dan said:
they cant be naive enough to think that they will be able to find and then build this same culture anywhere else.

First of all it is unlikely they will all be able to sign with the same club, second they would then need to fit into the current culture at that club before being able to have any influence over it

Third, they are sooks

You would imagine now that it is the public sphere that there will be a meeting between perry, toovey and the three players tomorrow.. There could easily be some blood spilt. I really can't see anything good coming out of this. If zorba is behind this then the club owners have a lot to answer for letting him pull strings to his own agenda, what kind of businessmen would let an influence and character such as his anywhere near their product. Craziness.

bones said:
The crisis is so bad that Manly have firmed into $3.75 to win the comp.
I appreciate the candour, but that's not really the point. At the end of season a united team will always beat a fractured one.

Love Stevie. You ask for a release ?? Yep !!!

Will hate to see him go, I just hope it's not an ugly scene when it does eventually happen.

I think Souths would need more than Gift and Snake to take them all the way.

If Choc wants to go to Eels let him. Won't win anything there. He could stay here and join the 300 club or end up another Fatty Vautin in blue and gold

niccipops said:
bob dylan said:
Brett's off to The Dogs, it's a done deal if if he gets out of his current deal.
That would make me hurl. Can hardly believe that Manly would release Brett to go to the dogs with Des though.
he would have to change his catch cry,be a dog,go to the dogs

Fluffy said:
My worry with all this is that none of them will want to take a pay cut to do it and apart from Matai I can't see any getting equal money if reports are try.

Matai appears to just want to make his last contract a superannuation one like Kite did.

This might mean that we are left paying the difference and it comes under the salary cap.

Pretty sure the previous club only continues to pay the difference and cop it in the salary cap when they show the player the door mid contract, ala Parra last year. Can anybody confirm this?

No idea what happened with T-Rex though. Apparently he chose not to take up an option for an extra season so Manly ended up paying an extra 80k to him last year while he played for the dogs which was included in our cap????

Good luck getting a club all together. Grant them all releases. The club is bigger than them all. I have admired all three in the last ten years but they are crying poor now aren't they.

They are lucky to have played together for so long and they should just grow up and complete their contracts as THEY agreed.

Brett Stewart? If he asked for a release he should be ashamed of himself. The way this club has stuck by him through everything.. took his brother on board when no one else would and made them the players they are. This is the return we get?

Matai.. I can understand.. gets a big offer.. go look after your family. Choc.. because your mates are leaving?

Good luck to them. They will all end up at different clubs anyway. Brett will end up at the dogs. Choc will goto Parra and Matai to the Worriers.

If they really want to go.. after they win us a comp this year they can go.

Gutherson Turbo boys Hiku.. sign up the halve to long term deals. We have plenty of talent that will take us into a new generation.

Before I get attacked.. of course I want them to stay... but not if they really want to go.. or they keep bagging the club out. They have obviously gotten offers for a lot more money and using the Gifty saga as an excuse to go. That's my opinion anyway.

Bearfax said:
Look. Except for Brett, the two asking for a release come up for contract renewal in a year so beating the drum is a way to ensure what happened to Glen doesn't happen to them.

If I was Watmough and Matai, I would be concerned that there are a couple of potential stars coming through with the Trbojevic boys and Gutherson, who are ready made to replace them as the next generation. They're getting older and they want security.

What happened to Glen could happen to them, But I would be surprised if any of them leave before the end of 2015. As Niccipops pointed out, Watmough is on one of those crazy back ended contracts and will be on, I understand, $950,000 for the year. If Manly refuse to release him, then another team would have to offer to buy out his contract, and that would take a huge chunk out of any clubs salary cap as well as the contract they would have to offer.

Brett Stewart may be hurting, but I doubt Souths would want him and again he has two year left on his contract, which would have to be bought out.

Matai may push to leave and that would be unfortunate. But as indicated there are some ready made future stars coming through who would initially be cheaper and ensure that DCE and Foran are retained. Quite frankly Manly cant lose out of this.

Exactly my thoughts too, Skivi and Choc are forcing the club to show it's hand on wether they are in the clubs future plans or not. Neither wants to be strung along like Gifty was only to not receive an offer at the end of it. They need to look after their future and you can't blame them. I'm not too worried, I can't imagine either player wanting to leave the club if they have been told they are part of the clubs future plans.

Chip and Chase said:
Will hate to see him go, I just hope it's not an ugly scene when it does eventually happen.

What makes you think it's a forgone conclusion mate? The club have already declined his request.

simon_eagle said:
Chip and Chase said:

What makes you think it's a forgone conclusion mate? The club have already declined his request.

All things must end. My hope is that he plays out his days here and retires with another premiership or two. Time will tell.

I just listened to Tooveys press conference post game.

A minute on the performance then the rest is all about hosing down player unrest. Who ever is responsible for the leaks that are fanning these rumours needs to be dealt with by the club.

Its not fair on the players and coach who are trying to win this comp and have the club at their best interest.

If they want out then let them go, the club will still be here next year and is not going anywhere.

Anyway, we are competition leaders and have a strong chance of featuring deep into September!!

Add to this fact we have only been playing at 60% capacity, not had our full strength line up all year on the park and the motivation of last years grand final motivating the boys , we aren't travelling that bad.

I know of 15 other clubs who would like to be in our position.

Just enjoy the ride-many more memorable moments in 2014 to come for Manly.

If they want out then let them go, the club will still be here next year and is not going anywhere.

Anyway, we are competition leaders and have a strong chance of featuring deep into September!!

Add to this fact we have only been playing at 60% capacity, not had our full strength line up all year on the park and the motivation of last years grand final motivating the boys , we aren't travelling that bad.

I know of 15 other clubs who would like to be in our position.

Just enjoy the ride-many more memorable moments in 2014 to come for Manly.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2