Supporting Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi Dan,
"Ambush" is a common marketing term to describe the practise of gaining exposure or benefit from another entities efforts (an example would be the practise of a company using a helicopter to fly with one of those huge banners underneath over a large surf carnival or sporting event etc.) - wasn't meant as disrespect to your concern so sorry if that is what it came across as?

I've been asked by Aaron to post this in response to the concerns raised and a post above...

"I would just like to clarify a few things surrounding this survey.

Each year numerous studies are conducted on the Sea Eagles by tertiary
students.  In most cases the students approach the club for permission,
as this one was.  Whilst these studies receive our blessing they are not
performed on the club's behalf nor are they given official status.

We have asked the student(s) in question to make alterations to their
post on this forum and other locations where they have advertised their
study to ensure there is no misunderstanding as to who is conducting the
survey and its purposes.

With regards to other points mentioned by Dan we have requested that the
poster contact him to discuss any issues.

In response to Nita's post. 
The club, through the NRL, undertakes significant market research via
leading research companies each year.  Enormously detailed reporting is
returned back to the clubs and this has been of great use in
understanding our market and increasing membership.

Regards

Aaron Markie
Membership and Website Manager
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles"

Vid

vidmar link said:
Hi Dan,
\"Ambush\" is a common marketing term to describe the practise of gaining exposure or benefit from another entities efforts (an example would be the practise of a company using a helicopter to fly with one of those huge banners underneath over a large surf carnival or sporting event etc.) - wasn't meant as disrespect to your concern so sorry if that is what it came across as?

I've been asked by Aaron to post this in response to the concerns raised and a post above...

\"I would just like to clarify a few things surrounding this survey.

Each year numerous studies are conducted on the Sea Eagles by tertiary
students.  In most cases the students approach the club for permission,
as this one was.  Whilst these studies receive our blessing they are not
performed on the club's behalf nor are they given official status.

We have asked the student(s) in question to make alterations to their
post on this forum and other locations where they have advertised their
study to ensure there is no misunderstanding as to who is conducting the
survey and its purposes.

With regards to other points mentioned by Dan we have requested that the
poster contact him to discuss any issues.

In response to Nita's post. 
The club, through the NRL, undertakes significant market research via
leading research companies each year.  Enormously detailed reporting is
returned back to the clubs and this has been of great use in
understanding our market and increasing membership.

Regards

Aaron Markie
Membership and Website Manager
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles\"

Vid

Wierd.. I'm curious to know how this NRL research is conducted.. I'm sure certain clubs have the opportunity to capitalise on niche segments available to them.. But I dont see it happening. I wonder how they define "significant" too.. Hmm hmm

Nita,
This will give you some idea of the type of info collected...

http://www.roymorganonlinestore.com/Browse/Australia/Sport/NRL/NRL-Club-Supporters/Manly-Warringah-Sea-Eagles-Supporter-Profile.aspx

The sample size for that research would (I guess) have been around 10% of the adult membership at that time (Difficult for them to survey non-members for a variety of reasons?)

I know from personal experience that members have also been invited to participate in NRL on-line surveys on game day experiences, views of memberships and benefits and other aspects.

There has also been a trend to run a members forum pre-season where members from all 16 teams are invited to participate (Funnily enough I've been invited to attend one on the 19th of this month in Sydney) and prior to attending you are asked a range of questions and are invited to give notice quesions to the panel that are present (Eg David Gallop and Graham Ennersley to name a couple)

Of course each club collects data relating to their own member base which they can use for their own research but it can also be collated for a bigger picture perspective.

I know when we travelled to Melbourne for the game this season quite a few of the supportahs were asked to enter a competition at Olympic which of course was an attempt to collect contact details which I guess would then be used for a phone or email survey at some later stage

Of course there could be the perspective of lies, damn lies and statistics...but to put it in to perspective I recall a person posting once that clubs should set up stands in shopping centres or high pedestrian areas in an effort to increase membership...this was tried by a number of clubs and the results were negligable when compared to an outbound telemarketing campaign to people that had purchased match tickets from a ticket agency and the cost was a fraction of having a stand manned for the best part of 10 hours.

These types of findings are commonly shared between the membership managers of each of the NRL clubs.

The discount tickets that are available at away grounds for ticketed members came about as a result of feedback from fans who wanted to see additional benefit to a season ticket for travelling supporters.

Vidmar

I would think a non members forum would have as much relevance (surely members are already highly engaged....you are preaching to the converted, nay gaining information from the converted)

lsz link said:
I would think a non members forum would have as much relevance (surely members are already highly engaged....you are preaching to the converted, nay gaining information from the converted)

Take your point Isz....I'm not fully aware of all the research that is conducted by the NRL of the 16 clubs on non-members although I do know there is some as there are some findings available.

The forum for members is not so much as a "how can we increase member numbers?" as such but more a benefit to allow members from the clubs direct access to the NRL executive to discuss various aspects of the game, strategy and member related issues.

For example, last year topics covered included the publishing of a full round by round schedule including dates and times of games (This was hotly debated!!), the discounted ticket scheme for ticketed members at away grounds, the salary cap, reserve grade comp formats, various rule changes/interpretations, Plans to expand the code nationally, Initiatives to support the development of junior rugby league, NRL vs other Footy codes plus many other topics.

Last year the club asked members to submit any questions or points prior to the forum (understandably it was not feasible for every member from every club to attend) and these were then sent to the NRL with the FAQ’s or common suggestions/points discussed or clarification given to be passed back to the membership.

I spoke one on one with both David Gallop and Graham Annersley during the day and they appeared to be very pleased and interested in the topics raised and seemed open to discussion and keen to have input from supporters…they were also quite open as to why some things were so and why some suggestions couldn’t be adopted

But whilst on the topic…I know there are quite a few people on this site that are not members or either the Sea Eagles or the Football Club and am always interested in why that may be (not being judgmental but curious?) as comments can always be used constructively or considered to improve the offerings if at all possible ?

I would like to apologise for any and all misconceptions of my research. The survey and my postings were no attempt at ambush marketing and nothing 'fishy' was being conducted. I was unaware of the correct protocols and this will not happen again.

I was conducting the research for my own purposes and for the completion of a project for my university degree. I completed the project with the hope of proposing manly seaeagles with beneficial information on their fan base.

I would also like to apologise to Dan and Aaron for causing them problems, that was certainly not intended, and thank them for dealing with the matters directly.

Thank you and apologies to everyone.

Best of Luck to Manly for the 2010 season.

Ok - I know off topic  :) , but does anyone know if they make NRL (ie Manly) car windscreen sun shades?
Been looking (google) but couldn't find any.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6