Supporter Group Behaviour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, you parents better not take your kids to close to the footy field. There is worse language out there than there is in the stands. Not to mention the fact that its 26 guys trying to beat the **** out of each other. 2 or 3 guys were knocked unconsious on sunday and you are worried about some words.

Stop trying to wrap your kids in cotton wool and have a think about what happens in the palyground when you arent around. Its not roses and candy thats for sure.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Swearing is fine, damaging property, throwing stuff at people etc is simply not on

So you sit at the dinner table on xmas day and say "hey mum you old **** pass the ****in salt"

I dont think its fine.

How about everyone support how they want.....ive got two 6 year old boys and if i got stuck next to some lunatic constantly swearing , id look to swap seats if possible...but believe me , theyve heard most things sitting in the back seat whilst being driven around.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184953.msg289045#msg289045 date=1283230537]
Swearing is fine, damaging property, throwing stuff at people etc is simply not on

So you sit at the dinner table on xmas day and say "hey mum you old c$%* pass the f**kin salt"

I dont think its fine.
[/quote]

Xmas day is a bit different to a footy game champ

The realities of the world is that if you go to sport, other than tennis or golf, there will be more offered than a polite clap

But to answer your original question again, I don't need to ask anymore, 1 look and it comes my way

The point is if you don't speak like that when in front of the family why would you do it at the footy, pub, river bank or anywhere.

Are you trying to impress someone?

I am not having a go at you Kiwi, and my questions are not directed at you, I totally respect and understand your opinion.

I know its the way of the world but I am just curious as to why people behave like that when out in public.

generally speaking I do, only difference its not being yelled across a footy feild, only to a mate in the pub.

Only people who I wont is people who I know dont like it such as my mum and thats only when im sober.

Also there is a little thing called context. Do you clap and cheer or boo at the dinner table? no, why not?

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184953.msg289045#msg289045 date=1283230537]

So you sit at the dinner table on xmas day and say "hey mum you old c$%* pass the f**kin salt"

I dont think its fine.
[/quote]

You see, I don't actually have a problem with that. I actually find the word "old" used against your mum as being the harsh bit.

"Can you pass me the f**king salt please, mum" would be fine.

You just sound like fuddy-duddies. I thought we left this kind of inane sensitivity back 20 years ago.

I've heard some pretty bad racist stuff come out on the hill & I think that's much worse to be shouted out. Good fun in a quiet joke though. Let's start this one up again.

Compared to other supporters, the Manly group is no worse.
Why would we even try to win a popularity contest?

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I would echo Vidmar's views.....I coordinate the MWTS away trips and have done so for the last 4 years. We have taken away hundreds and hundreds of people to all the corners of Australia (and New Zealand) where the team plays. I have seen on a few occasions some bad language come forth, usually after a very contentious decision. The worst I have seen was at the Gold Coast 12 months ago after the Checcin incident, and fired up by the Titans coming over and walking straight past about 2000 very upset Manly fans.

Let's face it this is a Gladiatorial game, and we are very passionate supporters so it happens.

If I was taking my Grand Kids to a game I'd probably suss out the family section (regardless of where that was in relation to my fellow supporters) and go and sit there...it's much like me going to the One Day Cricket at the Gabba (which I do every year) and I take my wife into the Alcohol Free section......it's not because we don't drink (we do) but it's because elsewhere is full of very drunk yobbo's (by the end of the days play) and we'd prefer a calmer and quieter area to be in.

So it's a bit like \" if you don't like the fire get out of it\".

I can appreciate the post, I really can and it's a valid opinion BUT I would hate to see 1 or 2 people tarnish the reputation of the hundreds of others that are an integral part of the MWTS. The people that go to the games and cheer like mad  and are such a vital part of the neccesary support for our great team..as really  (overall at least and like most things in life) there's a few that do the wrong thing but most do the right!

IMO Mark has hit the nail on the head..
I've seen first hand the behaviour of some at the footy and yes I do swear also when those pink poofs rort us.
I took my kids to the Titans this year and chose to not sit in the away supporters bay as us passionate fans can get a bit excited during the game.Sitting in the normal section of the stadium my kids did witness some mild swearing,but was'nt to bad.
As Mark suggested in a round-a-bout way,parents should choose where they are seated more carefully as I realise fans do get a bit excited/angry at the footy and that is to be expected...

Thanks Northern....it really comes down to the parents decisions, take your kids to the "family hill"...or the designated "no drinking bay" and to be honest you probably won't experience any of this.

Chose to sit amongst the "tragics" (and it is a VERY enjoyable experience I must say) and you are going to be in the heat of it.

That said ripping out a seat is NOT ON in any circumstance, whomever did that needs a few weeks "in the bin".

I have raised my 16yo son on my own since he was 2yo. It's not rocket science I don't let him swear at home just for the hell of it, so he knows when it's ok to switch on and off (so to speak). We all make the odd mistake or get carried away in the heat of the moment but when you look at it closely, most things in life really do come down to a bit of common sense.

Yeah Mark I love sitting with the tragics,but just not a good idea to sit there when the kids come along.The best part of being amongst the tragics is the passion(you could slice it with a knife)...

bob dylan link said:
The point is if you don't speak like that when in front of the family why would you do it at the footy, pub, river bank or anywhere.

I am not having a go at you Kiwi, and my questions are not directed at you, I totally respect and understand your opinion.

I know its the way of the world but I am just curious as to why people behave like that when out in public.

Being in a group of mates is far different mate, I did plenty of things last weekend I would never dream of doing in front of the family

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=184953.msg289064#msg289064 date=1283233073]

Being in a group of mates is far different mate, I did plenty of things last weekend I would never dream of doing in front of the family
[/quote]

And probably did too when I was a much younger man.

I guess as long as we know where the line is and enjoy ourselves and respect those around us we cant really go far wrong.

Heatseeker link said:
Yesterday I decided to go to the game to watch my Sea Eagles play the Roosters, I regret this decision, let me tell you why.

I unfortunately sat in the same bay, Bay 37 with the Manly supporter group, I thought it would be a good experience, maybe hear some funny songs and chants. Unfortunately all I saw where a bunch of clowns acting like someone just murdered their Mother.

After the try (that I might say should not have been awarded) to Kenny-Dowell, these jokers decided to start using filthy language around children and families that were there trying to enjoy the game, I understand passion but this wasn't it, there was even one idiot sitting just down from me breaking the chair in front of them!

I have been a Manly supporter for over 30 years but yesterday I was embaressed to be a Manly supporter, with supporters like this no wonder there is so much Manly hating. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and you know who you are, and for the bloke who threw the football at the touch judge, have a good look in the mirror, do you really think that helps your team????

Absolutely shameful.
With reference to the original post . . . unfortunately it's obvious there are some people who go to the footy who don't give a rat's whether there are children within earshot.

League is a violent game and for a lot of fans the chance to be an offensive, aggressive yobbo may be the only chance they get each week to feel like a real man. (I guess we could do a quick poll... how many of them are male? How many have consumed alcohol? How many are at the footy not in a family group, but with other males? etc)

Whatever.

I really like the comment from someone above who said players are getting knocked senseless on the field…yet we are worried about some language. True enough, the essence of the game is violent and aggressive. However, it also has its noble and civilised aspects. The mob mentality of the crowd can be a different kettle of fish. And of course it’s not simply a question of the words used, it is the belligerent and hostile manner, and it can be very intimidating. And even inciting to violence, such as the examples described, of damaging property and throwing objects at officials.

I’m certain there is nothing peculiar to Manly supporters in this phenomenon – but neither is there anything brave, tough or mature in that type of behaviour, so well done for exposing it. Over time I expect crowd behaviours will improve, simply because of the marketing imperative of attracting kids and families.

Bones link said:
[quote author=Heatseeker link=topic=184953.msg288812#msg288812 date=1283158746]
and for the bloke who threw the football at the touch judge, have a good look in the mirror, do you really think that helps your team????

Absolutely shameful.

Thanks mate... i had a good look in the mirror this morning and i gotta say i like what i saw. The only thing i was embarrassed about is that I missed the pr#ck. I dont particularly care what you think of me.
[/quote]

Hahaha was that you bones? you are a true legend!

tbh I didn't hear anything over the top? but that can happen at the footy so it comes with the territory imo! don't they have special family areas to avoid that sort of thing?

I must say I was shocked and horrified when I was in the hill for the storm game I couldn't believe the foul language and abuse being aimed at poor little Billy slater god it was disgraceful ;)

Bones, I think adequate punishment should be making you write
"I must remember to practice my aim" 100 times on the whiteboard ;D

The most annoying thing in the world is the protective parent.
The one who'll threaten to punch someone for swearing in front of their kid. Great message that is. "Don't swear but if someone annoys you, cause them bodily harm". That is why we live in a violent society. Parents.

I'm probably older than some of the parents on this forum but because I don't have kids, I remember what it's like to be a kid.

I've been going to the football basically my whole life. It strted off with my Dad & by about ten I was going on my own.
I remember my old fella having a go at people who were going off their nuts & swearing. I also remember my reaction as a kid. I was embarrased that my Dad was acting like such a square, I wasn't upset by the yobs. I wanted to be one & I became one.
My Dad no longer comes to the football with me as HE'S too embarrassed to hang with me.

The moral of my story is. Parents, you're thinking about yourselves & not your kids. Don't put the "think of the children" guilt trip on everyone else. It's your problem.

I get to most (well all) games and in the main know most of the regulars.

There will be others reading this that are in the same position and have “been there, done that” at games both at Brookie and around the country and overseas.

I’m not overly bothered by the original post because a) I don’t know the poster (hence I'm guessing it’s an isolated experience) and b) What he says is a common perception.

I'm not defensive of some peoples behaviour but know it is not indicative of the group as a whole.

If you only get to the odd game it can be a confronting and perhaps an uncomfortable environment.

The sights, sounds and smells that to some are one of comfort and thrilling are to others scary.

As mentioned, I can go to games and look around and know most of the Manly fans and there is not a single person there that I am worried as to whether they are prone to violence or acts of vandalism.

There are of course some that I’m happy are on my side when I’ve traveled solo to a strange town with two kids but having grown up in the UK in the 70/80’s in the bad old days and seeing some of the common violence at sports venues I’m comfortable that our fans are not “nutters”.

At the MWTS dinner on Saturday there will be many that have spent a huge amount of time and money over the last few seasons in traveling to support our team and know that they have spent time in forming friendships and getting to know each other and to suggest that they would waste that in anti-social behaviour or that it would be tolerated by the group is of course silly.

There will always in any group be the odd silly moment which invariably is a source of embarrassment later but the “pack” environment promoted and protected by the MWTS is one of fun, enjoyment and supporting our team…and as we invariably are easily identified as supporters of the Sea Eagles (and bearing in mind the propensity of the media and general public to negate all aspects of the Rugby League) anti-social behavior is not tolerated.

So Heatseeker…happy for you to contact me by PM with your contact details – let me know your concerns and what you saw as I’d be happy to reign in people as I can but mostly I’d be happy to introduce you to some of the regulars so that supporting your team can be done in the company of like minded people and will be a more pleasurable experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7