Supporter Group Behaviour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Vidmar as always summed it up perfectly and I would like to add what has already been mentioned. The MWTS group are great people, certainly the ones that I have been with on trips to all over the place, be it in NSW or interstate.
Its a shame that you didn't have a good time but you need to know what these blokes are like as people before jumping to conclusions. It was a very emotional game yesterday and sometimes things happen that in the heat of the moment shouldn't have.
Swearing is I guess unfortunalty part of the it now( weather people agree or disagree with that is for other day). I admit myself I swear a bit but never in an abusive way. Had to hold myself back a bit yesterday as I was sitting next to a friends 3 year old.
But sport is a very emotional thing. You cannot judge what people are like on a couple of minor things.

To be fair, the SFS seats are fairly flimsy. You always see at least a few broken after games there. I'm a Sydney FC member as well so I frequent the stadium quite a bit when combined with Manly trips.

Not to condone vandalism but that seat could've easily broken with a frustrated kick (No, It wasn't me.).

I'd also like to concur that Bones is a dickhead. Learn to throw straight mate!  :D What did Conn say to you when he came over to that group of blokes after the game? The grin on his face made me angry alone.

All in all I didn't see anything that day that you don't see at majority of footballing events to be honest.

I was there and yes there was a little bit of swearing but all in all our people were well behaved. There was a roosters supporter sitting amongst us shouting swear words and swearing at one of our guys with the huge flag down the front. He must be the worst sledger ever cause he made no sense at all. he was saying dumb stuff like "Show us how to lose a grand final Manly" i found that hillarious considering the roosters won 1 out of 4 in the early 00's and we set the record for the biggest victory in 2008 our last time out. I dont think he was a vegitarian but he was definately off his chops.

conanu link said:
I was there and yes there was a little bit of swearing but all in all our people were well behaved. There was a roosters supporter sitting amongst us shouting swear words and swearing at one of our guys with the huge flag down the front. He must be the worst sledger ever cause he made no sense at all. he was saying dumb stuff like \"Show us how to lose a grand final Manly\" i found that hillarious considering the roosters won 1 out of 4 in the early 00's and we set the record for the biggest victory in 2008 our last time out. I dont think he was a vegitarian but he was definately off his chops.

Haha sounds like a top bloke alright.

Wouldn't of happened to be the hero missing more than a few teeth was it?

You need to wake up to yourself Heatseeker.
A few choice words never hurt anyone. I did hear reports of a Manly fan being punched by Rooters fans on the way out of the stadium though. I'm sure that hurt & maybe he'd have an interesting story to tell you about poor fan behaviour.

BTW without making any comments about the identity of people in the photo, I will note that I know who they are and can also confirm the damage was not done by that row of people, rather the row behind who left early.

I can tell you it was a heated section of the ground, and having headed to the sideline at one point myself I heard more then a few swear words myself. That said it wasn't as bad as people are saying, and before anyone says I am just justifying cause I threw some words around myself don't bother as anyone who knows me will tell you that any day I use the word dickhead I have reached the end of my selection of choice words. Which on Sunday left me with the word Scum to peg at the ref and not much else.

We do have to watch ourselves however and if anyone sees a Manly supporter behaving wrongly just tell them to pull their head in, I will back you up. Just do it nicely and remind them that we are better then bulldogs supporters and don't have to resort to their level of behavior. I know at Penrith this year I had to pull one of our guys up, not a regular but another fan, its not fun, its not what any of us want to do. But it is better then the rest of us getting a bad name, having sat at suncorp I know what it is like to have the security all over you and would rather not encourage that kind of focus at away games.

Heatseeker link said:
Yesterday I decided to go to the game to watch my Sea Eagles play the Roosters, I regret this decision, let me tell you why.

I unfortunately sat in the same bay, Bay 37 with the Manly supporter group, I thought it would be a good experience, maybe hear some funny songs and chants. Unfortunately all I saw where a bunch of clowns acting like someone just murdered their Mother.

After the try (that I might say should not have been awarded) to Kenny-Dowell, these jokers decided to start using filthy language around children and families that were there trying to enjoy the game, I understand passion but this wasn't it, there was even one idiot sitting just down from me breaking the chair in front of them!

I have been a Manly supporter for over 30 years but yesterday I was embaressed to be a Manly supporter, with supporters like this no wonder there is so much Manly hating. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and you know who you are, and for the bloke who threw the football at the touch judge, have a good look in the mirror, do you really think that helps your team????

Absolutely shameful.
Serously harden up princess :)
Their only words.

(before anyone points the finger at me can i point out i wasnt at the game on sunday)

Ryan you will remember my choice words were "hoppa, stay on your wing dick head" pretty tame.

I will say after a few beers my language often veers to the west, however I am not proud of that and am quite ashamed of it in actual fact.

Those defending tge bahaviour and language around kids need to have a long hard look at themselves.

Duff you always tend to jump in defending this outlandish stuff and I never know whether you are being serious or not but surely you can't think this sort of thing acceptable?

Nah, I'm serious Dan.

I'm anti sensorship, be it TV, radio or the general population. It's 2010, we don't believe that curse words are cursed anymore. If people can take their anger out vocally rather than physically I'm all for it.
Physical violence has no place in society, except on the sporting field.
A bit of a hoot & holler is what the footy is all about, just like a mosh pit at a concert.

I would echo Vidmar's views.....I coordinate the MWTS away trips and have done so for the last 4 years. We have taken away hundreds and hundreds of people to all the corners of Australia (and New Zealand) where the team plays. I have seen on a few occasions some bad language come forth, usually after a very contentious decision. The worst I have seen was at the Gold Coast 12 months ago after the Checcin incident, and fired up by the Titans coming over and walking straight past about 2000 very upset Manly fans.

Let's face it this is a Gladiatorial game, and we are very passionate supporters so it happens.

If I was taking my Grand Kids to a game I'd probably suss out the family section (regardless of where that was in relation to my fellow supporters) and go and sit there...it's much like me going to the One Day Cricket at the Gabba (which I do every year) and I take my wife into the Alcohol Free section......it's not because we don't drink (we do) but it's because elsewhere is full of very drunk yobbo's (by the end of the days play) and we'd prefer a calmer and quieter area to be in.

So it's a bit like " if you don't like the fire get out of it".

I can appreciate the post, I really can and it's a valid opinion BUT I would hate to see 1 or 2 people tarnish the reputation of the hundreds of others that are an integral part of the MWTS. The people that go to the games and cheer like mad  and are such a vital part of the neccesary support for our great team..as really  (overall at least and like most things in life) there's a few that do the wrong thing but most do the right!

Its a tough one. I have a 5yo who i take to the footy and at times he hears some stuff, no doubt. I bet he even heard me let go of the piss off chechin you bloody clown in last years titans game. And at times at home i have slamming my thumb with a hammer moments when i can cry aloud the **** i wish i was a better shot

But i feel my role as a parent is to get my son ready to release in to the wild, hopefully sometime in his twenties. Im not going to release him into a world thats perfect. His prep class is pretty tame with most kids coming from pretty good homes but he does mix in the general populus. I also do tuck shop time and volunteer for heaps of stuff and i get to hear first hand the clangers dropped at his school. Its a fact of life.

I actually prefer for him to hear them in my presence so I can point out how naughty they are and why he shouldnt say things like that.Kids form habits very quickly when left to there own devices. I am much more concerned with respect than i am about words he will hear 1000 times before he is 10. Some say these words are a lack of respect and i do agree but there are far worse issues he needs to learn

keeping kids in a bubble doesnt help there life education or there ability to make decisions for themselves. Well thats how i feel about it

The one thing to consider if you take your child into a footy game, in a section that serves alcahol, you have to expect that behaviour. You cant take you kid into a front bar, put the wiggles on the big screen and expect the majority to conform to your ideals. Its not practicle. There are non alcahol sections at footy games wher you would expect the behaviour to be better

Life is about choices

Mark from Brisbane and jbb/james, both of you have very good points in relation to avoiding the areas where things will be at there worst, or educating kids on words I'm sure they all know anyway.

I'm the first to put my hand up for swearing at the footy, and things were much worse than normal on Sunday, there was a greater feeling of anger in the crowd than I have seen in a long time, other posts have discussed the reasons why.

However as mentioned by Duff a bit of swearing is relatively harmless, especially in comparison to the Manly fan who got set on by a couple of Roosters fans, and knowing this guy personally he would not been provoking being attacked at all.

As to the damaging of the seats I cannot condone this action looking back, but have to admit to not caring too much at the time when I was sitting near by and witnessed it, but was full of piss and and quite annoyed myself.

Duff link said:
Nah, I'm serious Dan.

I'm anti sensorship, be it TV, radio or the general population. It's 2010, we don't believe that curse words are cursed anymore. If people can take their anger out vocally rather than physically I'm all for it.
Physical violence has no place in society, except on the sporting field.
A bit of a hoot & holler is what the footy is all about, just like a mosh pit at a concert.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

Anti-censorship, is one thing, because at its extreme most would agree it is ridiculous. But not wanting children exposed to the seedlings of violence and swearing could hardly be classed as outlandish and over the top

It is lonely on my pedestal. I live as somewhat of a martyr.

As long as no one gets physically hurt or damaged, it's open slather for me.

Kids aren't as innocent as their parents think. Just look back to when you were one. We all had it worked out pretty early.

But it's part of footy. For that 90mins it's on, nothing else matters. After the siren sounds, you simmer down to normality again.

Duff link said:
It is lonely on my pedestal. I live as somewhat of a martyr.

As long as no one gets physically hurt or damaged, it's open slather for me.

Kids aren't as innocent as their parents think. Just look back to when you were one. We all had it worked out pretty early.

But it's part of footy. For that 90mins it's on, nothing else matters. After the siren sounds, you simmer down to normality again.

So because they are not as innocent as parents may think, we should accelerate their behavior and exhibit it for something for them to follow?

Please Duff. Let me know when you land back in the real world

You are one of those "alternatives" much like my brother.........We don't get along so well as your type seem to always be trying to find yourselves, which explains why you are so lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7