Sun-Herald: "Abbott promises Brookie a lifeline"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've said it before you want to fix brookie, become a marginal electorate. Everyone with an odd street number vote ALP, everyone with a even street number vote the coalition and soon enough Brookie will be a state of the art complex, complete with a multi-story car park, water theme park and a high tech 3D movie theatre.

Stevo said:
Turnbull had his go. Tony Abbott has about as much chance of stepping down as Gillard has. Plus he's done his apprenticeship and deserves the shot.

Yep. And the famous Bill Hayden "drover's dog" comment comes to mind.

Stevo said:
Turnbull had his go. Tony Abbott has about as much chance of stepping down as Gillard has. Plus he's done his apprenticeship and deserves the shot.

Realistically Turnbull didnt have a decent go at all. He was much more poorly handled than Rudd and he only lost by a vote or two. Problem with Turnbull is he doesnt represent the right enough. He's as I said a Centrist, and probably would have been a successful Labor PM if he had changed sides. He appeals to the masses because he represents the middle position of the average voter unlike either Gillard of Abbott. The power lads in the Lib party are strongly to the right so he's out of favour with the Howard clique that still rules. You might have thought Gillard was bad. Wait for a bit when Abbott is in power. The general public may be naive but they're not stupid. If it seems like a turkey its a turkey

Look i love my team but with health, education, transport, issues everywhere and many places to watch footy in sydney. If a pollie gave serious cash to build another stadium no one should vote for them as they have priorities seriously askew

I know brookie is pretty bad compared to most but geez, its still ok and many many more things need fixing before we consider splashing mega cash at a stadium, and thats any stadium not just brookie

Sporting events need to just make do for now

Moved to the General discussion forum as discussion was getting too political for a rugby league forum.

Bearfax said:
Hamster Huey said:
lsz said:
I have never understood why boat people is such a big issue when you compare it to other forms of illegal immigration (such as visa over stays etc)

Oh that's right it is a political issue not a humanitarian one

Sri Lanka's own government says they're 'financial' refugees and will accept them back. They pay thousands and carry V&A items worth thousands on the boat, but conveniently 'lost' any paperwork to say who they are.

Those overstaying on visas have at least arrived legally initially, have valid paperwork, can not use the system to bring more family over and do not take a spot that should rightly be offered people going through to the proper processing system and waiting in camps in SE Asia and Africa.

Take the misplaced emotion out of the debate and it's a lot clearer.

Frank said:
Anyone who takes seriously the promise of funding for Brookie from ANY politician has rocks in their head. I am even more disgusted by any promise from the liberal party as they have had plenty of time to do something about this when they were in power. Abbot's promise at the last election was laughable. His seat is too safe, therefore, I doubt we'll ever get the funding required for Brookie.

I will never vote liberal whilst the party is lead by a bloke whose face I want to punch every time I see it. They may win the next election easily but they would absolutely smash it if Turnbull was leader. That would certainly get my vote. Alas, I don't think that will happen so the donkey will probably get my vote again.

Polling indicates that the LNP would lose more votes then they gain, with a change of leadership from Abbott to Turnbull. There is a reason there was no outcry from the party faithful when they dumped Malcolm.

Err Hampster. Which particular polls suggest Turnbull would receive less votes than Abbott? Galaxy, Nielson and Morgan polls all have Turnbull's popularity at 50-60% against Abbott's 15-30%. Up against Gillard, Abbott may be competing but she's on the nose with the public anyway. But Turnbull would street him for votes if given the chance. Turnbull is not popular with the Lib heirachy because he takes a centrist and more conciliatory position, instead of pandering the elitist right.

Malcolm was getting clobbered by Rudd before getting the arse, and Abbott quickly had the Labor party panic and dump their leader for Gillard.

Since then there has been a cycle of ups-and-downs for preferred leader between the two, and the MSM loved the idea of 'what if' when adding Rudd and Turnbull back into the 'preferred leader/PM' polling.

The thing is though that the reporting outcomes took the broad response across all politically leanings and rarely noted the differences when you looked at the base data.

Those intending to vote LNP were largely unmoved by a change of the leader of that party, just as the Labor side were not particularly attracted to the return of Rudd.

What got the figures moving was the (mischievious?) trend for LNP intending voters to answer the Labor question and suggest Rudd for sure, and the Labor voters to also play this card and indicate that Turnbull was clearly the best option for the LNP.

But there was not trend for anybody to change sides when asked, even if the leader changed.

General discussion forum for non-footy debates, Jethro?
Interesting concept.

Let's see, what are the ingredients:

1. Right-wing extremist leader who spreads hatred in every media contact
2. Supportive media
3. Systematic dehumanisation of racial groups
4. Public unaware that their attitudes have been systematically dehumanised into prejudice
5. Popularity based on this hatred and prejudice

What precedents? What downsides? What value in studying history?

Rex said:
1. Right-wing extremist leader who spreads hatred in every media contact
2. Supportive media
3. Systematic dehumanisation of racial groups
4. Public unaware that their attitudes have been systematically dehumanised into prejudice
5. Popularity based on this hatred and prejudice

Worst YART ever. You haven't picked a five-eighth, halfback, forwards or a bench.

And even if this this right-wing guy is good as you seem to think he is to walk into our starting side, why are you playing him out of position at fullback?

I remember the save Brookie rally with Beehive Bronny saying that JWH was committed to put millions into Brookie "IF" he was voted back in. Abbott and Bishop were in government for 11yrs and produced nothing for Brookie. The only government recently that has put money into the joint that I know of was the NSW Iemma Labor government.

Tibstar said:
I remember the save Brookie rally with Beehive Bronny saying that JWH was committed to put millions into Brookie "IF" he was voted back in. Abbott and Bishop were in government for 11yrs and produced nothing for Brookie. The only government recently that has put money into the joint that I know of was the NSW Iemma Labor government.

And the non-Labor local council.

On your Brony point;

Fans call on Labor to save Brookie - Ritchie, Dean. The Daily Telegraph 22 Nov 2007:
MORE than 1000 Manly fans last night demanded the State Government and federal Labor Party provide urgent funding to upgrade a collapsing Brookvale Oval.

The push to revamp Brookie gathered momentum at a successful fan rally organised by the Sea Eagles.

Manly require nearly $18million to revamp the Pittwater Rd ground with the Howard Government this week pledging $9million -- provided Liberal is re-elected.

Guest speakers last night included Manly godfather Ken Arthurson, author Thomas Keneally, ex-hooker Max Krilich, local member Bronwyn Bishop, Manly owners Scott Penn and Max Delmege and current Sea Eagles player Mark Bryant.

As a result of the rally, ALP sports spokesman Kate Lundy will meet Manly officials today at Brookvale in a move the club hopes will draw a significant financial commitment.

And as we know they didn't get re-elected. No funding was provided in the lead-up by Labor. Then this development...

The Manly Daily 01 Dec 2007
The funding situation has been set back by the appointment of a new Federal Sports Minister, Kate Ellis from South Australia, replacing former ACT Senator Kate Lundy and the election loss of the Coalition government, which had promised $9 million to pay for upgrades.

So the club went to Canberra in Feb 2008 to talk money but got nothing out of Lundy. By Sep 2009, this was the situation...

Sunday Telegraph 20 Sep 2009
The Sea Eagles are owned by property developers Max Delmege and Scott Penn. They lobbied hard in the lead-up to the 2007 election for government funds to fix the ground, warning the club could be forced to play home games in Gosford if no improvements were made.

Warringah's then administrator agreed to give $4 million to the Sea Eagles for the ground makeover provided the NSW Government contribute $6 million and the federal Government $10 million.

However, federal Minister for Sport Kate Ellis has ruled out federal funding.

Not a peep of Federal funding out of the current government through their two terms, including the leadup to the 2010 election.

It's safe to say it's just not an attractive promise in a safe LNP seat.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

I don't have the time for your long post MB but wouldn't be surprised to be off to the great gig in the sky before we see the money

Fluffy said:
I don't have the time for your long post MB but wouldn't be surprised to be off to the great gig in the sky before we see the money

No time for pink floyd lyrics?!?!?!?!?!?!

fair nuff.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8