Sun-Herald: "Abbott promises Brookie a lifeline"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lsz said:
I have never understood why boat people is such a big issue when you compare it to other forms of illegal immigration (such as visa over stays etc)

Oh that's right it is a political issue not a humanitarian one

Sovereignty 101 - The no.1 priority of any Govt is to Protect the borders.
It's pretty fair to say that the Govt has failed on this front. They have no control. Almost like an open door policy which is entirely what the Govt agreed to when they formed an alliance with the Greens.

Re 'over stayers', they are not entitled to handout upon handout from taxpayers nor are they entitled to bring their entire family across.

Wamf

I am not going to thread jack so will leave it to agree to disagree

Frank said:
Anyone who takes seriously the promise of funding for Brookie from ANY politician has rocks in their head. I am even more disgusted by any promise from the liberal party as they have had plenty of time to do something about this when they were in power. Abbot's promise at the last election was laughable. His seat is too safe, therefore, I doubt we'll ever get the funding required for Brookie.

I will never vote liberal whilst the party is lead by a bloke whose face I want to punch every time I see it. They may win the next election easily but they would absolutely smash it if Turnbull was leader. That would certainly get my vote. Alas, I don't think that will happen so the donkey will probably get my vote again.

That's the shot Frank, I can see you've considered each sides policies and past performance and have come to a thoughtful considered decision.:p

Hi everyone I'm a proud member of The Greens and we can make a real difference for Australia at this upcoming Federal election. If you would like to find out more you can pm me and I can really open your eyes to what's really happening to the most beautiful country in the world. Love and respect to everyone.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
WAMF said:
lsz said:
I have never understood why boat people is such a big issue when you compare it to other forms of illegal immigration (such as visa over stays etc)

I think you'll find that is actually the curriculum for Xenophobia 101

SeaEagleRock8 said:
WAMF said:
lsz said:

I think you'll find that is actually the curriculum for Xenophobia 101

Another bleeding :heart: .
My suggestion is that all those in favour of allowing these economic refugees to come in via the back door whenever they please, is for you to personally open your own homes and house these people at your own expense.

lsz said:

Sri Lanka's own government says they're 'financial' refugees and will accept them back. They pay thousands and carry V&A items worth thousands on the boat, but conveniently 'lost' any paperwork to say who they are.

Those overstaying on visas have at least arrived legally initially, have valid paperwork, can not use the system to bring more family over and do not take a spot that should rightly be offered people going through to the proper processing system and waiting in camps in SE Asia and Africa.

Take the misplaced emotion out of the debate and it's a lot clearer.

Frank said:
Anyone who takes seriously the promise of funding for Brookie from ANY politician has rocks in their head. I am even more disgusted by any promise from the liberal party as they have had plenty of time to do something about this when they were in power. Abbot's promise at the last election was laughable. His seat is too safe, therefore, I doubt we'll ever get the funding required for Brookie.

I will never vote liberal whilst the party is lead by a bloke whose face I want to punch every time I see it. They may win the next election easily but they would absolutely smash it if Turnbull was leader. That would certainly get my vote. Alas, I don't think that will happen so the donkey will probably get my vote again.

Polling indicates that the LNP would lose more votes then they gain, with a change of leadership from Abbott to Turnbull. There is a reason there was no outcry from the party faithful when they dumped Malcolm.

jbb/james said:
WAMF said:
Rex said:
And we know the country is screwed because the Tele tells us so.

I know the country is screwed when a boat load full of 'asylum seekers' pulls up unnoticed just 450km's from my house.

Did you call dibs on the boat once they embarked. We might need it one day to seek asylum elsewhere .

Only 450kms? ****! Imagine if you actually got to see them. That would be dramatic!

manlyfan76 said:
Hi everyone I'm a proud member of The Greens and we can make a real difference for Australia at this upcoming Federal election. If you would like to find out more you can pm me and I can really open your eyes to what's really happening to the most beautiful country in the world. Love and respect to everyone.

So...........you're a weirdo then?

Stevo said:
jbb/james said:
WAMF said:
Rex said:
And we know the country is screwed because the Tele tells us so.

I know the country is screwed when a boat load full of 'asylum seekers' pulls up unnoticed just 450km's from my house.

Did you call dibs on the boat once they embarked. We might need it one day to seek asylum elsewhere .

Only 450kms? s**t! Imagine if you actually got to see them. That would be dramatic!

manlyfan76 said:

So...........you're a weirdo then?

For a while I thought no one was going to bite.

Look at the infrastructure around his own area to show what type of politician Abbott is. His electorate is a basket case.

WAMF said:
lsz said:

It's pretty fair to say that the Govt has failed on this front. They have no control. Almost like an open door policy which is entirely what the Govt agreed to when they formed an alliance with the Greens.

Re 'over stayers', they are not entitled to handout upon handout from taxpayers nor are they entitled to bring their entire family across.

I have to say if the LNP gets in this will only get worse.

Frank said:
WAMF said:
lsz said:

I have to say if the LNP gets in this will only get worse.
Gee Frank, unlike you, nearly sixty percent of voters are willing to take the gamble on voting for the Libs, what makes you the knowledgable one?

Hamster Huey said:
lsz said:

Sri Lanka's own government says they're 'financial' refugees and will accept them back. They pay thousands and carry V&A items worth thousands on the boat, but conveniently 'lost' any paperwork to say who they are.

Those overstaying on visas have at least arrived legally initially, have valid paperwork, can not use the system to bring more family over and do not take a spot that should rightly be offered people going through to the proper processing system and waiting in camps in SE Asia and Africa.

Frank said:

Polling indicates that the LNP would lose more votes then they gain, with a change of leadership from Abbott to Turnbull. There is a reason there was no outcry from the party faithful when they dumped Malcolm.

Err Hampster. Which particular polls suggest Turnbull would receive less votes than Abbott? Galaxy, Nielson and Morgan polls all have Turnbull's popularity at 50-60% against Abbott's 15-30%. Up against Gillard, Abbott may be competing but she's on the nose with the public anyway. But Turnbull would street him for votes if given the chance. Turnbull is not popular with the Lib heirachy because he takes a centrist and more conciliatory position, instead of pandering the elitist right.

Bearfax said:
Hamster Huey said:
lsz said:

Frank said:

Err Hampster. Which particular polls suggest Turnbull would receive less votes than Abbott? Galaxy, Nielson and Morgan polls all have Turnbull's popularity at 50-60% against Abbott's 15-30%. Up against Gillard, Abbott may be competing but she's on the nose with the public anyway. But Turnbull would street him for votes if given the chance. Turnbull is not popular with the Lib heirachy because he takes a centrist and more conciliatory position, instead of pandering the elitist right.

^^. I agree. Although I don't follow the polls much I do recall a recent one that showed a lot of current Labor voters would gladly jump ship if Turnbull got the leadership of the Libs.

The most telling thing for Abbot is that he has always struggled in the "preferred PM" stakes against arguably the most hated politician in our history. In fact throughout her reign as prime minister Gillard has usually outperformed Abbot in the preferred PM polls. I think that says a lot about how unpopular Abbot is. The fact that people will still vote for him next September says a lot about how Gillard has conducted herself over the last few years.

Turnbull had his go. Tony Abbott has about as much chance of stepping down as Gillard has. Plus he's done his apprenticeship and deserves the shot.

Bearfax said:
Hamster Huey said:
lsz said:

Frank said:

The same problem Rudd has with his party too (But left not right).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7