Success, and the expectation it brings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Was listening to the league hour on the radio over here this morning, and it really showed the difference in expectation between a club with a successful history compared to a team that has battled

We log on here, to a team running 7th, and has won a comp recently and hasn't missed a finals series for many years. The coach and players cop a fair bit of flak and the general feeling of disappointment with where we are runs through the place

I then listen to the radio and read a lot of articles on the team running 5th or 6th, 1 game better than where we are. The feeling of excitement is there to see, they are hailing the players as heroes, nominating Cleary for coach of the year etc.

I don't really know what my point is, it just struck me how possibly we have been a bit spoiled over the years with the history of our club and demand perfection, whereas a team still searching for some sort of success can class a season of mediocre results as a top year

I'd probably agree with you Kiwi if we were being comprehensively beaten in every game. The frustrating thing is that we could have / should have won 80% of the games we have lost this year, even with the injury toll being what it is. One of the most frustrating seasons I can remember over the past 30 years.

True, we have high expectations, unlike supporters of some other teams.
I do think the Warriors are on the cusp of a successful period. I think their Under 20s will win the comp, and their top team will knock out a few in the finals series.
With our links to NZ, can't we attract some of those big boppers from the Warriors Under 20s?
There must be hundreds of huge Islanders in NZ and the Warriors can't use them all.

I do agree somewhat, but the reason teams 1-6 plus 8 (Canberra) are so excited is that they all have at least some sort of momentum. On the other hand Manly, Souths (9th) and Broncos (10th) are limping into the finals with rising injury/suspension tolls and really lacking in confidence and form.

St George have been very lucky with the lack of serious injuries to key players.
If Coward had been injured, like Brett or Hodges for Brisbane, then they certainly wouldn't be leading the comp.

Barry Hyland link said:
St George have been very lucky with the lack of serious injuries to key players.
If Coward had been injured, like Brett or Hodges for Brisbane, then they certainly wouldn't be leading the comp.

No doubt, but that's just the luck of the draw. We were very lucky in the 07, 08 seasons and it showed. I still think if we had our full strength team all fit right now we would be higher up on the ladder and ready to give this premiership a shake. But it wasn't to be, maybe it will come together in 2011?

the squads have something to do with it as well. Manlys pack with King, Kite, perry , choc, ballin and watters are all rep players. Kingy and ballin being most recent have been our best. Then mattai, lyon in the backs with wolfie and brett being injured doesn't help and foran haing a shot with the kiwi team as well. Th played city but I don't rate that as strongly with robbo, farrer, rodney and georgie , baily and trex the few not to have tasted it

That brings expectations i think but it was a very good point you were not really making Kiwi

Under the salary cap it is injuries that decides premierships.  Lady luck has been pretty cruel to us in that department this year.

All things considered a top 8 finish (hopefully) is not a bad result.  The frustrating thing is that I think we still could have done a whole lot better.

Barry Hyland link said:
True, we have high expectations, unlike supporters of some other teams.
I do think the Warriors are on the cusp of a successful period. I think their Under 20s will win the comp, and their top team will knock out a few in the finals series.
With our links to NZ, can't we attract some of those big boppers from the Warriors Under 20s?
There must be hundreds of huge Islanders in NZ and the Warriors can't use them all.

I was actually told last week that at the end of the year Crusher was here in Chch and signed up 2 young fella's. I think one of them is Jonathan Lima who has been playing a bit of NYC

jbb/james link said:
the squads have something to do with it as well. Manlys pack with King, Kite, perry , choc, ballin and watters are all rep players. Kingy and ballin being most recent have been our best. Then mattai, lyon in the backs with wolfie and brett being injured doesn't help and foran haing a shot with the kiwi team as well. Th played city but I don't rate that as strongly with robbo, farrer, rodney and georgie , baily and trex the few not to have tasted it

That brings expectations i think but it was a very good point you were not really making Kiwi

The Warriors squad isn't as stacked as ours, but still have blokes like Hohaia, Vatuvei, Rapira, Ropati, Tate, Mannering etc who are all seasoned internationals mixed in with good young blokes like Matulino, Packer, Maloney etc

Probably another way to compare the 2 sides is the season's have worked in reverse. We made a great start and have been nailed by injuries at the tail end of the comp. They were hammered with injuries at the start but now with a near fully fit squad are making a good run at things

There is nothing quite like winning, but seeing how we haven't won as many as wanted this year, for some reason I take some consolation in the way we have dominated for periods. Which is somehow slightly different to desperately hanging in against superior opposition. I haven't felt any team really made us look second-rate this year (well, maybe the 2nd Newcastle game but we smashed them in the first one). Panthers was one of our biggest loses but we weren't bad, they were just red hot.
So yeah I want success, but if we can't win em all at least let's keep smashing them.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4