Suburban grounds won't die -Says Greenturd..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
New NRL boss Todd Greenberg has moved to assure football fans that rugby league will continue to be played at the game's beloved suburban grounds, despite the governing body's commitment to its stadiums policy.

The NRL is confident of meeting "content requirements" set out by the NSW government in order to satisfy the criteria for the $1.6 billion investment into Sydney's sporting infrastructure by Friday's deadline.

The government is keen for the NRL and its clubs to commit to around 60 games a season at a re-built Allianz Stadium and a refurbished ANZ Stadium. Pirtek Stadium will also be rebuilt.

Those projects will be completed by 2020 at the earliest.

Even if clubs such as Manly, Cronulla and St George Illawarra play some home games at Moore Park or Homebush, Greenberg said suburban footy will remain a vital part of the NRL landscape.

"We understand the history and the heritage of the the game, but we also understand we have to think about what rugby league will look like in the future," Greenberg said.

"We have to look forward and have aspirations to grow the sport and to grow the fanbase."

"This is not the end of suburban footy, there will always be games at suburban venues but clubs have to understand they have to grow.

"To grow we have to attract more fans. This is about the next generation of fans."

The NRL has been discussing the proposal with affected clubs over the past week.

Greenberg was confident the clubs and the NRL would be able to reach an agreement that is for the good of the game moving forward.

"We are exactly where we thought we would be," Greenberg said.

"Playing in great stadiums with great facilities is great for the club but more importantly it is great for fans.

"We are aligned with the government to get this once in a generation investment across the line and the clubs are thinking on that."

NSW sports minister Stuart Ayres said the deal hinged on the NRL committing to playing more games at the big venues.

"Our stadia network is the most significant investment in sport in this state's history outside of the Olympics. I would argue that it has the capacity to have a much longer lasting impact than what the Olympics did," he said.

"If the NRL can give us a commitment on the amount of content that comes to those stadiums, that's what we're looking for.

"Without that content, it's very difficult for us to deliver a business case to treasury, which would release the funds."

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/...-won-t-die-says-greenberg#xICPI15OMLmtdEyt.99

The attraction of the game for me when I came from the UK was that I could do down to Brookvale Oval and watch live sport. Since then I have grown to love the club and become a member. Having said that if a significant proportion of our games were played away from Brookie then it would stop me attending at all. Whats the point of watching your 'local' team when the ground is 50km away??????

Nsw want x amount of games for $$$$ why is the NRL not counter offering with y amount of games? Nsw govt need to spend money to keep the state moving and win votes, what are they going to do? Not build any stadiums and loose votes? Unlikely. The NRL is in the box sea but are being dictated to by the NSW govt because they are in bed with the tv rights holders who want to spend less to broadcast games by having every game at the same venue.
NO
REAL
LEADERSHIP

Nsw want x amount of games for $$$$ why is the NRL not counter offering with y amount of games? Nsw govt need to spend money to keep the state moving and win votes, what are they going to do? Not build any stadiums and loose votes? Unlikely. The NRL is in the box sea but are being dictated to by the NSW govt because they are in bed with the tv rights holders who want to spend less to broadcast games by having every game at the same venue.
NO
REAL
LEADERSHIP

Kid yourself not the REAL reason is exactly that.

Mate of mine works in the racing ( horse ) industry doing the vision that goes to whatever those channels are.

He said they dream of a day when apart from the big race days ALL the races are held in one massive complex , all set up permanently.

It may never see the light of day but with the gambling companies now massive and owning much of the vision area it could happen.

Country racing would die.

I bet Nein / Fox would love all games at 3 venues, set the equipment up and forget to the next game.

Along with virtual crowds, coming to your screen within a decade!!

Yes lets grow our fan base and play at stadiums know one wants to go to. This game is farked under this mob.

Make Broncos play at Sunshine Coast. Move Cowboys to 3 games in Cairns. Move 3 Gold Coast game to Coffs harbour, make everyone grow the game not just a handful of clubs.
Greenturd is a fool.

Kid yourself not the REAL reason is exactly that.

Mate of mine works in the racing ( horse ) industry doing the vision that goes to whatever those channels are.

He said they dream of a day when apart from the big race days ALL the races are held in one massive complex , all set up permanently.

It may never see the light of day but with the gambling companies now massive and owning much of the vision area it could happen.

Country racing would die.

I bet Nein / Fox would love all games at 3 venues, set the equipment up and forget to the next game.

Along with virtual crowds, coming to your screen within a decade!!
I remember in the eighties there was a consortium thinking of buying a large parcel of land in the Hawksbury region and turning it into a complete horse racing complex. All stabling of all the horses, 2 or 3 racetracks that could have been raced on throughout the year. Also training tracks for the horses to work on. There would be housing for all the workers too. I don't think they wanted punters there - they just wanted it put on pay TV ( in those days there was no pay TV.) It ended up costing too much and not enough people were interested. Another problem it was not practical.

I remember in the eighties there was a consortium thinking of buying a large parcel of land in the Hawksbury region and turning it into a complete horse racing complex. All stabling of all the horses, 2 or 3 racetracks that could have been raced on throughout the year. Also training tracks for the horses to work on. There would be housing for all the workers too. I don't think they wanted punters there - they just wanted it put on pay TV ( in those days there was no pay TV.) It ended up costing too much and not enough people were interested. Another problem it was not practical.

Yep heard about that

The volume of gambling today might change those dynamics though

gents prepare yourselves for virtual NRL .... where the NRL comp is just 1 big computer game ... I think I'll have the big nap right now ....

The attraction of the game for me when I came from the UK was that I could do down to Brookvale Oval and watch live sport. Since then I have grown to love the club and become a member. Having said that if a significant proportion of our games were played away from Brookie then it would stop me attending at all. Whats the point of watching your 'local' team when the ground is 50km away??????
They eat the dead in Essex..plus they wear white socks with suit trousers...

Yes Rugby League will still be played at suburban grounds but it won't be NRL first grade will it Todd.

The BS that spews from this guys mouth never ceases to amaze.

Here's an idea, why don't we play more games on Thursday nights. That will get more people to games.

The NRL is its own worst enemy and always has been. If there was half a brain somewhere at office they would realise that the key to growing the fanbase is to capitilise on the tribal nature of league. Instead of following the AFL model, they should be following the EPL model where just about every suburb has a football team and a 20,000 seat stadium.

The AFL would love for the NRL to kill off a couple more Sydney teams which is what this stadium strategy is designed to do. It would allow them to gain an even bigger slice of the biggest market in Australia.

I hear the Swans have been looking for a second Sydney ground to set up as a training facility and home for reserve grade matches. They are going to spend $30mil upgrading Henson Park. Maybe the Sea Eagles should share Brookvale with them. If the NRL doesn't want to give us a stadium maybe the AFL will give us one.

Wasn't Pirtek stadium rebuilt just a few years back?

Or did they burn it down again and nobody noticed?

Yes it was. It already has 17 corporate suites that Parra can't give away and 10,000 empty seats every game. It definitely needs more money wasted on it.

What it does have going for it that Brookvale does not is that it sits in an electorate where the citizens are not rusted on to one side of politics. Their willingness to use their vote to force politicians into giving them what they want has resulted in Billions of dollars being thrown at them every election.
Funny that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6