Storm may be in trouble over salary cap.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Salary cap cop Ian Schubert is being called in to look at the Storm. The club asked John Ribot to find Cam Smith a 3rd party pay deal. Under the rules this 3rd party deal comes under the salary cap as Ribot is employer by the Storm.

How many times can the Storm breach the salary cap before stronger action is taken by the NRL. They have consistently been fined for salary cap breaches virtually every year, but who pays the fine?

If this accusation is proved Gallop will have to act strongly and not just impose yet another fine as this is clearly deterrent to Waldron & co.

Wheel and Clon, lets see if cheating actually occurred before we call for drastic action.  What I find more interesting is that these breaches of the cap that do occur, usually are detected after the season is completed, thereby no penalty other than a fine is incurred.  Surely there must be a mechanism that would ensure no team takes the field paying over the cap.  Perhaps if a fine was imposed plus points taken away for the next season, this might be a greater deterent.  Or perhaps a player of the cap overruns value, sits out the season on the sidelines.  There must be something. 

They have breached it every year since their induction or very close to as far as I know. I think there was an article a few months back that mentioned they had breached it something like for the past 8 years

Obviously fines just don't cut it.  Gallop must do something more to rein in the cap cheats. 

I also beleive that the breach can impact thier salary cap in the following years eg if you breach by $50k your cap goes down by the same amount in the following years.

Wheel, my point is that even with the loading of any fine the following year, the team still doesn't appear to suffer anything other than a fine.  They seem to keep their points (other than the Dogs) and their position in the comp etc.  Points deducted might be the go.  The players themselves certainly would get the ****s if that was the case. 

Although wasn't it the case of the Warriors being deducted points a few seasons ago, or was that for something else. 

How can an organisation make a charge against itself? News owns and runs Melbourne. Conflict of interest. Just part of the problem in the game.

Mind you, No News = No Melbourne. (Would anyone care?)

DSM5 link said:
Although wasn't it the case of the Warriors being deducted points a few seasons ago, or was that for something else. 
It happened at the start of 2006. They were found to have breached the cap in 2005 over the Price and Wiki signings and had deducted four competition points before the season started and the club was also fined AU$430,000.

It is time for a hard line to be taken and this is a the way to go. Either that or kick them out :)

DSM5 link said:
I'd care, I enjoyed the 40 to nil scoreline.

Have to agree there DSM - as Paul Keating said many years ago "This is the sweetest victory of all"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4