Still waiting for an answer.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
In 2009 we had the Brett Stewart season launch debacle. It badly affected the whole playing group, but particularly Gifty. We finished 5th and then embarrassed ourselves in Melbourne in week one of the finals (I was there & copped plenty from the scum fans). The main cause for that loss was the impact on the playing group of Glen Hall's wife losing their baby the day before the game. We would have had a 2nd bite except for the ability of St George to choke that year. We did remarkably well considering the events of 2009.

In 2010 we were ravaged by injuries and suspensions and the team we fielded against St George in week one of the finals was little more than a reserve grade team.
Nothing of the above happened this year did it Ralphie?

Last year T-rex was suspended or out with injury, no Hoppa jnr and enormous salary cap pressure.

We bought 4 or 5 discards and Toovey's turned them into 1st graders.

This year no King, Galavoa gone mid-season, Glenn Stewart out for first 7 weeks and Brett in and out all season along with suspension to Fa'aoso and injuries.

So using your same analogy I think Toovey has done an excellent job to finish 4th.

Ralphie said:
bones said:
The question has been asked many times, but still no reply from the Toovey bashers.

What are the excuses for Hasler failing in 2009 and 2010 with the strongest roster in the NRL?
Knocked out in week one of the finals both years. Failing to score a point in the 2010 match. Only madevthe finals because storm werevstripped of points.

I'm keen to hear the reasons as Tooveys record in 2012 and 2013 beats those two years by quite a margin.

We would have had a 2nd bite except for the ability of St George to choke that year. We did remarkably well considering the events of 2009.

LOL .... it was St George's fault we went out in week one. It had nothing to do with us not finishing higher on the ladder?
But we did remarkably well? Hmmmm.

Some people like Maccas, others are die hard fans of Hungry Jacks. You can't convince one or the other which has the best burger, regardless of the amount of sales figures you put in front of them. So why bother? People believe what they want to believe. I'm off to Sizzler because Hogs Breath is crap.

This is like calling someone outside at a pub.

Every one is tough till they get punched in the face.

bones said:
Ralphie said:
bones said:
The question has been asked many times, but still no reply from the Toovey bashers.

What are the excuses for Hasler failing in 2009 and 2010 with the strongest roster in the NRL?
Knocked out in week one of the finals both years. Failing to score a point in the 2010 match. Only madevthe finals because storm werevstripped of points.

I'm keen to hear the reasons as Tooveys record in 2012 and 2013 beats those two years by quite a margin.

It's funny how people around here jump to conclusions. I am one who has expressed concern about the big games record, but at no stage will you find me having suggested he be sacked. Can't we have a debate without it degenerating and people jumping to conclusions.

To answer your question Bones.

In 2009 we had the Brett Stewart season launch debacle. It badly affected the whole playing group, but particularly Gifty. We finished 5th and then embarrassed ourselves in Melbourne in week one of the finals (I was there & copped plenty from the scum fans). The main cause for that loss was the impact on the playing group of Glen Hall's wife losing their baby the day before the game. We would have had a 2nd bite except for the ability of St George to choke that year. We did remarkably well considering the events of 2009.

In 2010 we were ravaged by injuries and suspensions and the team we fielded against St George in week one of the finals was little more than a reserve grade team.

Now back to the discussion point. Why can't we seem to win big games at the moment? I see this weekend as a "no excuses" game with us likely to be near full strength and they will be down Carney or he will be at least hobbled.

That's funny , I can't see anywhere in my post where I suggested you wanted Toovey sacked. Also, how exactly has it degenerated? I simply asked a question and you have finally answered.
I take your points and actually agree with some of them. Which leads me to ask - If those are legitimate excuses for Hasler having poor years... then when asking about our record against the top sides this year, why isnt the same luxury afforded to tooves when you consider the fact that we are yet to play the roosters this year with both Kieran Foran and Brett Stewart in the team? Two of our most important attacking weapons. None of the three games were floggings. Why can't the wrongly disallowed Matai try against Souths be taken into account in one of the games against Souths this year? It's also worth noting that Dessie had Glenn, choc, Lyon, Kite and king all when they were all atctheir peak in their late 20s. Tooves has them when they're all in their 30s. My point is there are always reasons and it doesn't always mean the coach is not up to it. Why do you never mention that we are one of only two teams the storm have failed to beat this year (The other being Penrith who only played them once). The only team in the top 8 the reigning premiers have not beaten. the only team in the nrl to have not lost a game 13+ all year. There are just as many statistics suggesting Tooves is going great as a coach as you think there are to suggest he is failing, but they are the stats you overlook because it doesn't suit your argument.

So what you are saying is that we have absolutely no excuse for this weekend against Cronulla given media reports that Brett will play. In fact we will field our strongest team, accepting King & Joe are gone for the season.

I also accept your points, but last weekend we had Brett out and they had Maria out, we had King out & they had Cordner out, it was hardly stacked in their favour.

Can we at least agree that there are no excuses for this weekend?

Yep. Agree on that. Absolutely no excuses this week. A top four side should never lose to a bottom four side during the finals IMO.

swoop said:
Ralphie said:

Last year T-rex was suspended or out with injury, no Hoppa jnr and enormous salary cap pressure.

This year no King, Galavoa gone mid-season, Glenn Stewart out for first 7 weeks and Brett in and out all season along with suspension to Fa'aoso and injuries.

So using your same analogy I think Toovey has done an excellent job to finish 4th.

In 2011 we had Gifty etc suspended until the GF and we still won our first two finals games. What happened last year and this year is absolutely nothing compared to what happened in 2009 and the side we fielded in last years & this years finals is a light year ahead of the reserve grade side we fielded in the 2010 final against st choke.

It's clear we will never agree on this so let's agree to disagree. I genuinely hope Toovey can turn around his big game record, but at some stage the excuses have to stop.

Why seek opinions you don't respect. Move on and be happy with your lot.There will always be differences in life, embrace them. Its not imperative that everyone loves Manly or individuals the same way. Some people dont like toovey some do. Some got hostile when des left, some didnt...........who cares

Its not a contest, its all just opinions. Differing opinions are kick arse. If toovey doesnt care , why should we

jbb/james said:
Why seek opinions you don't respect. Move on and be happy with your lot.There will always be differences in life, embrace them. Its not imperative that everyone loves Manly or individuals the same way. Some people dont like toovey some do. Some got hostile when des left, some didnt...........who cares

Its not a contest, its all just opinions. Differing opinions are kick arse. If toovey doesnt care , why should we

True JBB... Some people like it when Manly win, some prefer to see them lose even though they are supposed supporters of the club. Some people post on here win, lose or draw... some only post when we lose.

:rolleyes:
Ralphie said:
swoop said:
Ralphie said:
In 2009 we had the Brett Stewart season launch debacle. It badly affected the whole playing group, but particularly Gifty. We finished 5th and then embarrassed ourselves in Melbourne in week one of the finals (I was there & copped plenty from the scum fans). The main cause for that loss was the impact on the playing group of Glen Hall's wife losing their baby the day before the game. We would have had a 2nd bite except for the ability of St George to choke that year. We did remarkably well considering the events of 2009.:rolleyes:

In 2011 we had Gifty etc suspended until the GF and we still won our first two finals games. What happened last year and this year is absolutely nothing compared to what happened in 2009 and the side we fielded in last years & this years finals is a light year ahead of the reserve grade side we fielded in the 2010 final against st choke.

It's clear we will never agree on this so let's agree to disagree. I genuinely hope Toovey can turn around his big game record, but at some stage the excuses have to stop.

That will do me Ralphie! Whatever the circumstances we were done on troops and don't forget we lost a few players. You can't tell me the team wasn't affected by the walkout of the coach and coaching staff last year.

So you only want to compare Toovey's record against 2008 and 2011 and just forget about 2009 and 2010?:rolleyes:

Why do people feel the need to compare tooves to des.

Tooves is still a rookie coach. It's a credit it to him that he has prevented our so called ageing squad from sliding down the ladder.

I know we are used to success but personally I'm just glad that we are in the finals giving it a good go.

CAMBO said:
Why do people feel the need to compare tooves to des.

Tooves is still a rookie coach. It's a credit it to him that he has prevented our so called ageing squad from sliding down the ladder.

I know we are used to success but personally I'm just glad that we are in the finals giving it a good go.

I think we get success.We haven't missed the finals since 2004(?).There'd be a lot of supporters jealous of us.We get to watch Manly well into Sept each year (and October :) )Imagine being a souffs fan....finally get there one big shot in 41 YEARS!!! We've won 8 titles in that time! Toovey Hasler who-ever....this has GOT to be the greatest team to support!

Toovey is doing a wonderful job for the 2nd year straight.

Ok we did not win the premiership last year, but we may win it this year -if that was to be the case (please God) he would have an outstanding record, in just 2 short years. If we get eliminated, we still played finals footy - in a year marred with lengthy injuries to the Stewarts.

Last year was not smooth sailing either, memory jolt - De$ walking out, trying to (and succeeding to some extent) poaching staff / players, several contract negotiations being played out in the very public eye.

Despite a long tenure under De$ the fact remains he is still a rookie.

Keep it up Toovs - great job :shy:

Comparisons like these are ridiculous. The variables are so different with each coach, notwithstanding each years draw, player roster, other teams strengths and weaknesses, salary cap issues etc etc. My preferred coach was always Ron Wiley. Couldn't stand Fulton as a coach, but that never diminished my loyalty to the club. On Hasler? Liked him when he was the player and respected him as our coach, can't stand the guy now, and always hope his current team lose. On Toovs, loved him as a player, respect him as our coach, wonder about some strange decisions, but will support him through and through, as I will the next and next coach.

bones said:
jbb/james said:

True JBB... Some people like it when Manly win, some prefer to see them lose even though they are supposed supporters of the club. Some people post on here win, lose or draw... some only post when we lose.

Agree. the trick is deciding who is in it for what, Once we learn that we should never be surprised by that behaviour

Hasler walked out like a dog.
True.
Toovey stepped up.
True.
Toovey is the better coach by a mile.
I'd love to agree but can't. That's not to say that he can't one day be just that. He has definitely started off great though.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4