Stewy front runner for origin 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Phil Rothfield says Brett Stewart is ready to return to the State of Origin arena
Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
April 30, 2012 12:00AM

Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
SHAREFacebookTwitterEmail

Glenn and Brett Stewart after their round eight win over the Bulldogs on Friday night. Source: Getty Images

THE most telling indicator that Manly's champion fullback Brett Stewart is ready for a State of Origin recall came just a couple of minutes after full-time at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

Joey Johns, with the Channel Nine microphone in his hand, stopped his great friend as he was about to leave the field for the dressing sheds to tell him he'd won man-of-the-match.

What followed was Stewart's first media interview since 2009 when his career went so horribly off the rails at the infamous Manly season-launch.

The interview alone has convinced Ricky Stuart and his Origin advisers that Stewart's head is now in the right space for big time rep football.

At last, here was the 28-year-old Sea Eagles superstar staring down the camera on live television, emerging from the darkest period of his life and looking motivated, confident and excited about the future.

The story that was never told during last year's Origin campaign was that Stuart actually wanted to pick him.

When Raiders fullback Josh Dugan broke down after game one, the Blues coach rang Des Hasler to check on Stewart's progress in his return from knee surgery. Physically, both agreed the Manly fullback was playing well enough to wear the Blues jersey.

Mentally, it was a a different story and Hasler stopped short of endorsing his man.

Eventually Stuart and his main advisers went for Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello.

So I rang Hasler yesterday to ask what he'd be advising Stuart if he was still in charge of the Sea Eagles.

"I'd pick him for sure," said the Bulldogs coach after watching his outstanding performance on Friday night that was the difference between Manly winning and losing a brutal battle at ANZ.

"His head's now in a really good space and he's a great player. He's got experience and a lot of nous and he's ready for State of Origin."

On a weekend when Dugan and Jarryd Hayne failed to impress for the Raiders and the Eels, Stewart stormed into favouritism for the fullback spot in game one.

He threatened the Bulldogs defence whenever he touched the football, showing blinding acceleration to score his team's first try.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? SHOULD BRETT STEWART BE PICKED FOR NSW? JOIN MY LIVE BLOG FROM 9AM

Stuart was reluctant to comment about form from over the weekend but did give the Manly fullback some well deserved praise.

"He was very good considering he had been out for a while," Stuart said.

"I was happy to see him get through and show some timing and match fitness."

Stuart stopped short of declaring his hand but it will take something extraordinary from Hayne, Dugan or Minichiello to keep Stewart out over the next couple of weeks.

I've always been of the opinion that while Billy Slater is the equal to any fullback to ever lace a boot, Stewart is not that far behind.

And hopefully he'll get the chance to prove it in Origin I.

Furner's rapidly losing dry argument with his players 

CANBERRA Raiders coach David Furner should ban the booze ban.

Yesterday's lacklustre performance against the Sharks was the worst advertisement for ordering players off the drink.

I was told last week Furner was losing support from the players over introducing such restrictions just seven rounds into the competition.

They played like it yesterday, lacking spirit and character in one of those performances that indicated trouble in the ranks and a group of disgruntled players.

Still, Raiders supremo John McIntyre insists Furner has the full support of the board.

"David Furner will see out his contract," McIntyre told me over the weekend, denying the constant talk that Ricky Stuart would take over after the State of Origin series.

"We still think he is the right man for the job and he has to be given a chance."

Still, something has to be done to restore faith with the Raiders fans who have almost given up hope of making the finals.

While Canberra were poor, take nothing away from the Sharks.

They have now won six on the trot and are a genuine premiership threat.

Todd Carney and Isaac De Gois have added a lot to this side but surely halfback Jeff Robson has to be the buy of the year.

It's hard to believe Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney wouldn't pay him $80,000 a season yet forked out seven times that amount to pinch struggling Chris Sandow from the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

THE HIGHLIGHT

GLENN Stewart’s sensational crash tackle on Bulldogs forward Corey Payne at ANZ Stadium on Friday night showed Frank Pritchard and Ben Te’o how to make a big hit that’s perfectly legal.

THE LOWLIGHT

The camouflage Manly jersey and shorts are without doubt the ugliest NRL outfit ever and should never be worn again.

MAD MADGE

Souths coach Michael Maguire is doing a wonderful job at the South Sydney Rabbitohs but he’s made a big mistake by withdrawing the offer to blockbusting second-rower Dave Taylor and allowing him to join the Titans.

REF’S RIGHT

Congratulations to all referees for not over-reacting to the wrestling crackdown and allowing all games to flow on Anzac Day and over the weekend.

Loved to know why the clown would just call toovey instead of the Canterbury coach. ????

Cameron said:
What followed was Stewart's first media interview since 2009 when his career went so horribly off the rails at the infamous Manly season-launch.

Did Rothfield not see Snake's interview on the Footy Show shortly after he was acquitted?

How usual for a Rothfield article to be based on a false premise.

NNNNNnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo

Please dont pick him or his brother.

TRex and Watmough don't want to play either.

I don't want Brett to be in the SOO side also.
And if he does get selected his asking price will surely go up and attract the attention of higher bidders.

Oh Buzz, memory like a fish (or shark)?
"The story that was never told during last year's Origin campaign was that Stuart actually wanted to pick him."

From the DT June 13, 2011:
BRETT Stewart decided he wasn't ready for Origin II - not Ricky Stuart, and not Des Hasler.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph that the NSW coach phoned Hasler in the wake of the foot injury to Canberra's Josh Dugan just hours before naming the team and said he wanted Brett Stewart in the side.

Of course Brett is good enough for SOO but, from a selfish Manly perspective, we'd like him fit and fresh for the Sea Eagles.
I can't see why Stuart won't stick with Minichello. He was very good last SOO series, and is playing well again this season.

How about his "story that was never told", about them wanting to pick Snake for the Blues last year. I'm pretty certain that was reported last year, and at the very least a well known story amongst league supporters.

eggson said:
"The story that was never told during last year's Origin campaign was that Stuart actually wanted to pick him."

BRETT Stewart decided he wasn't ready for Origin II - not Ricky Stuart, and not Des Hasler.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph that the NSW coach phoned Hasler in the wake of the foot injury to Canberra's Josh Dugan just hours before naming the team and said he wanted Brett Stewart in the side.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. It certainly was told.. and in fact told by the very publication Rothfield writes for. What a fool.

Also, aside from the Footy Show interview with Gus, surely Stewart was interviewed more times last season. For one, he must have faced a press conference in the lead up to the Roosters game last season when he was named captain?

Nah guys don't be selfish I want to see him go up against slater on the biggest stage and show people outside our club he is in the same class.

simon_eagle said:
eggson said:

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. It certainly was told.. and in fact told by the very publication Rothfield writes for. What a fool.

Also, aside from the Footy Show interview with Gus, surely Stewart was interviewed more times last season. For one, he must have faced a press conference in the lead up to the Roosters game last season when he was named captain?
He spoke to fox post game with Glenn after he scored his galloping hat trick against the raiders.

Inside Sport has an article on him and Glenn and everything they have been through in the last 3 years.

He's the best NSW fullback playing at the moment. If he wants to play then he'll play, good on him. Whare deserves some more minutes at the back anyway.

Hasn't anyone told them that the Silvertails forum has already chosen the fullback? :huh:;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4