Stewing On Glenn's Deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
RLW - The Mole.

Why are the Sea Eagles in danger of losing star back-rower Glenn Stewart for 2015?
Because the way Manly structured their cap in the Des Hasler days, he will be on close to $800,000 next season. But he won't be Manly's highest paid player. Anthony Watmough's back-ended deal will see him bringing home around $900,000. That's a massive percentage of the clubs cap in just two players - and something no club can afford.

Hasler was plotting Manlys downfall for a good few years I'd suggest.

I presume he was on the Dogs payroll not long after we won the 2008 grand final.

With the cap rise and the long term player bonus it is affordable. I reckon we are no different to most clubs with back ending. It is worth it if both stay on the paddock. Mole could write the same article about parra (hoppa, hayne), cows (thurston, tamou, the other prop), Melbourne (3) or souths (inglis etc) etc etc

We need both Stewart brothers and Watmough. Hopefully the updated cap will sort it.

Also, Moley's close to 800k and around 900k can be translated to 750 and 850.

They are still both bargains compared to $650k per year for T-Rex. I bet that contract is back ended too, so Des' replacement will feel the pain. He's probably on about $1.2m in the last year of his contract with the Dogs!

The Mole is an idiot :exclamation:
The Salary Cap has gone up 40% and there are 3rd Party and Marqee Player exemptions to boot:cool:
We also have BJ, Tommy and Horo on below 250k pa.

I am more concerned about Gifty's health - in the GF he looked like he had a stroke.:s His vegas nerve must have been crushed on that first tackle. Gifty was out on his legs in the second half :angel:

I wish that the Manly Club would allay our concerns about the injured Players in the GF:idea:

Matai looked to have broken his arm - but still pulled of the biggest tackle after it happened- and Snake was in serious pain with his leg :-/

So they are both of big contracts for 2014 Glenn is renewed in 2015 when their salaries will be affordable again. Next year is our problem year not 2015.

Stupid mole.

This was the nail in the coffin with Hasler for me, 1 thing to cut deals with the enemy & try sneak your best players with you to the dark side.
It went way further with this attempt to plot the demise of the team he was coaching, keep in mind at the time there was to be no increase to the salary cap.
Our bigger issue will be keeping Jake Trobovic after next years break out season, will be chased by 15 other clubs, sign him up long term....NOW!!

Jake is in the Junior Kangaroos who play in Wollongong on Sunday @ 2:30pm
http://www.nrl.com/junior-kangaroos-team-named/tabid/10874/newsid/75007/default.aspx

MK Eagle said:
This was the nail in the coffin with Hasler for me, 1 thing to cut deals with the enemy & try sneak your best players with you to the dark side.
It went way further with this attempt to plot the demise of the team he was coaching, keep in mind at the time there was to be no increase to the salary cap.
Our bigger issue will be keeping Jake Trobovic after next years break out season, will be chased by 15 other clubs, sign him up long term....NOW!!

This.

And especially agree with your point on Jake, MK.

I'm tipping plenty of game time for him next year. Is he eligible for rookie of the year with his debut against the Riff ?

Has Gift got another two good seasons in him?
Just like Brent Kite, time catches up with everyone and the club will have some gut-wrenching decisions to make.

I think Choc will definitely stay but by 2015 he will be turning 32 that year so i imagine it will probably be on only 2 year deal. Gifty on other not so sure about, 31 at the start of 2015 but injuries of last 2 years maybe catching up with him and maybe not alot of cash left in salary cap?

We have a load of players coming off contract at end of 2015 including DCE and Foz and at least 4 other current starters (Matai, Ballin, Horo & Lawrence) plus 2 more potential by then (Chee-Kam, Sao). Some may leave or retire but some need to be resigned or replaced.

thats why I am still amazed how the bronco,s are now saying they want Smith from the storm,they already have Barba,and they want Milford,and now the rorters are going to the league to see if they can have some sort of dispensation to help keep Money bill,as John Sattler said.."I don't think we'd miss him, the game goes on," said Sattler, a former Test captain.

"Once they start this, 'will I or won't I go' ... well just leave Sonny Bill.

"If your heart isn't in rugby league, go and play another code.

"The game shouldn't do any more than it has already to keep him."

While he made uncharacteristic mistakes in the opening half of the grand final, Williams produced a superb second stanza, finishing with 23 tackles and 141 metres from 14 runs.... but every year we are battling to stay under cap,I agree with Bob Dylan.

Let's assume that Brett is soaking up most if not all of the Marquee Player allowance of $500k. There is a $300k total long serving player discount. If we allow $150k to each of Choc & Glen that brings them down to $650k & $750k. If we then have a third party agreement for $250k of that each then they affect the salary cap by $400k & $500k, which is 15% of the Salary cap at $6 million.

Please explain how this is a major problem again?

simon64 said:
MK Eagle said:

This.

And especially agree with your point on Jake, MK.

I'm tipping plenty of game time for him next year. Is he eligible for rookie of the year with his debut against the Riff ?

Have to play three or more games so yes he's still eligible.

The reality is that Gift and Choc have about 3 years left. Des did us no favours with the back ended deals but meh thats football.

At least our spine is intact for now, 2014 will be about keeping DCE and Foran at all costs. That is our future.

g,day all,Anyone who thinks that Glen Stewart is an $800,000 a year player on what he has shown this year has been watching a different player to me,as i consider his form to be consistently inferior to other players who are shown a far greater intolerance for their performance levels or physical appearance.I know it appears that i am being unduly critical of him but it really irks me that some players are judged by different standards to others and not by the same barometer which is current form.
cheers mike

mike walker said:
g,day all,Anyone who thinks that Glen Stewart is an $800,000 a year player on what he has shown this year has been watching a different player to me,as i consider his form to be consistently inferior to other players who are shown a far greater intolerance for their performance levels or physical appearance.I know it appears that i am being unduly critical of him but it really irks me that some players are judged by different standards to others and not by the same barometer which is current form.
cheers mike

Possibly true Uncle Nick. Will you be offering him 800k a year anyway?

Glenn and Choc are on heavily backended Contracts - their base would not be 800k+.

The incentives for representative games, making the finals, winning premierships etc seem to be all due at the end of their current contracts, due to the Son of Sam's creativity :cool:.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2