Stewie out for up to 3 months

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
some of you have been sucked in again by media and the opinions of fans of other clubs.The same media campaign began after being initiated by Melbourne fans regarding Orford not being able to get his side home in end of season games. Prior to that there was never the suggestion that melbournes faiure was due to orford. Before the beginning of this season there was never a mention of not being able to win when Brett isnt in the side. A run of poor performances just happened to coincide with Stewart being out, and we were always going to improve gradually with or with out his return. Are we a better side with him in? with out doubt, but to beleive a side of this calbre will miss the eight, let alone win the spoon is just plain disrespectful to them. This team will atleast hover around 6-8 and when Stewart comes back it will be the perfect time to really ramp up performance and momentum to start our run through the semis, much like when Lyon returned last year.

I thought that Stewart, apart from his tries had a pretty quite game on Saturday..
We won on the back of controlled possession and a dominant forward display. We would have won with Robbo at fullback.

Has anyone thought that Wolfman may be a better option at fullback than Robbo, Des won't even contemplate Young Hoppa I reckon because he hasnt even played for the 20s at all either

options for fullback
Robbo
Bani
Wolfy
from 20s
Scott Blanch
young Hoppa

from the SCSE
  Dennis SANDOW
  Howie MATTHEWS

Biscuits link said:
Before the beginning of this season there was never a mention of not being able to win when Brett isnt in the side. A run of poor performances just happened to coincide with Stewart being out, and we were always going to improve gradually with or with out his return.

Ah wrong, before this season started, our winning percentage with Stewart in the side is around 70%, without him its around the 30% mark. 

No media or other fans influence in those figures, that is a fact!

ManlyBacker link said:
I don't know what happened to Bani's speed from last year, but if he can get it back he would be my choice. His reads on the wing have been poor and maybe this could be the ideal spot for him. All too depressing.

Didn't he end up with complications from an injury?

I thought he had a blood clot or something like that?

If so, that'd explain his lack of speed. That type of thing can wipe a person physically for more than 12 months.

Wolfman was our PL fullback last season before the promotion, he may be fit this weekend, play him there

Not great, but some of the stuff in here is laughable, especially the Bring up Hoppa stuff, the bloke has played 3 Under 20s games, and has been injured all year. Blooding the young halves would be stupid as well, considering Bailey was much improved last week, and if Orford can't produce in this situation, a young bloke, who very few of you would have seen play more than 2-3 times, would be a diabolical option. I also believe Foran is injured at the moment

Have been working bloody hard to put a positive spin on this, not really going too well, but here goes

Best case scenario 8 weeks, at least 1 of them is a Bye, so 7 games. Within those 7 we would have probably lost him for Origin for 2 of the them, and maybe will get a crack at some equally weakened sides for those games

Now, we are 2/6. Best case scenario he misses 7, lets say we jag 3 of them, leaving us 5/13, and probably looking at needing from that point 8/11 to make it for certain, with 7 a chance. With Stewart, are we capable of that ? Of course. Is it a long shot ? Probably

I have a mate who works in the media (liberal pinch of salt) - it might be closer to 2-4 weeks dependent on how he pulls up this week

Still awful but could be better than we thought (plus should miss the rep season)

As for Hoppa Jnr in first grade you have to be kidding. When was the last game he played in the 20's? As much as I would like to Wolf back there chances are it will be Robbo....who is solid more than spectacular

Damn im anoyed we didnt buy Zillman last year, i was thinking that he would be a great buy at 5/8 and backup at fullback and that was last year.

Well even the optimists strugle to find optimism when Stewart is out, we cant blood new youth cus hoppa has been injured and it looks as though that Des willl stick to the idea of having Robbo at fullback even though Bani or Williams might be a better option.

Prior to our match at Brookie v the Dogs last season, I watched our PL side run round against the Sharks, and the bearded fella at Fullback really caught my eye that day, he brought the ball back strongly and was breaking the line

Would like to see him there in 1st grade as well

lsz link said:
I have a mate who works in the media (liberal pinch of salt) - it might be closer to 2-4 weeks dependent on how he pulls up this week

Still awful but could be better than we thought (plus should miss the rep season)

As for Hoppa Jnr in first grade you have to be kidding. When was the last game he played in the 20's? As much as I would like to Wolf back there chances are it will be Robbo....who is solid more than spectacular

I don't know whether to hug you or punch you in the chops right now haha

If your info is right I will be stoked, if not it will add to the pain

Love your optimism KE. The season isn't gone totally I agree, but we will need a massive improvement on the performances witnessed it the first 4 rounds, sans Stewart.

Agree with the summation of the Hoppa Jnr situation. I'd hazard a guess and say that some of those calling for his promotion have never even seen the guy play, just working on media hype regarding his signing to a "large" contract for their judgement of his ability. Having said that the Faders have done alright with the promotion of their 20's fullback. Anyway Hoppa is injured still, as far as I know.

I'd like to see Williams at fullback and Bani and Robbo on the wings. Bani can play outside Jamie and all he needs to do is stay on his winger and trust Lyon's defence...something he hasn't done previously. Wolfman will at least return the ball with interest, something Robbo can't do. Robbo is our best/most consistent winger, leave him there and let him do his stuff. With him and Matai together at least we'll shut down one side of their attack.

If the rest of the squad are serious about this year then this weekend is the chance to stand up and prove it. They've got a ready made excuse to fall back on if they want to take the soft option, but let's hope they are made of sterner stuff. Cowboys are going like busteds anyway.

I would be happy for teh Sunshine coast fullback to have a run

In my view if Wolfman is back then the least disruption to the backline would have Bani in fullback and Robbo and wolfman on the wings.

Yes Dan,
Plus Bani showed us that he can handle pressure kicks he's got a safe pair of hands IMO

Bani's hands aren't that safe.  Anyway, having said that,  I'd prefer him as fullback than Robbo.  Robbo is a winger and we didn't look that good in the first four rounds with him at the back.  But that said again, Des is a person who needs ten defeats to change his mind, so I guess it might be Robbo this weekend.  It's depressing that Brett is out and depressing that Des puts Robbo in as a replacement, when clearly it hasn't worked in the past.  

Interesting DSM, that you make the point that Bani's hands are not that safe, but would rather have him at Fullback defusing Thurston's kicking game

Tragic news. Brett is irreplacable but the team will now have to stand up and be counted. We will have to adapt. Robbo is safe but doesn't have the attacking flair of Brett, but who does. Bani is safe in my view and likes fullback. Des is not going to telegraph his intentions though.

Those who are suggesting Hoppa Jnr are kidding. He is still injured and will certainly come into contention when healthy but certainly not yet.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6