Stewart offered $3.5 million to quit league

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
One of the NRL's biggest stars could be lured away from the game with a massive offer reportedly being assembled to lure Brett Stewart to rugby union.

In a Daily Telegraph exclusive, it has been reported that UK based rugby union club London Irish is preparing a $3.5 million offer to poach Brett Stewart from the NRL, in what would be a huge blow to the game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manly-sea-eagles-fullback-brett-stewart-set-to-receive-35-million-offer-to-switch-to-rugby-union/story-fn2mcuj6-1226404879266

Beat me to it. Sounds ridiculous, I don't see him as a viable union player but I think its pretty obvious Snake feels as though his next contract is his last chance at setting himself up and recouping his lost earnings due to the court dramas. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest though if he's getting offers, it would be foolish of us to dismiss this as a threat but as I said the money does sound abit over the top.

Don't fullbacks and wingers in rugby have to kick. Havent seem much of a kicking game from him. Tactics from his manager to push up manlys offer?

ME - yep the money does seem too big unless it is a long term deal over 4 or 5 years. That Daily Terror report has no contract length specified.

I can't see Brett's playing style suited to rugby union especially as Brett is not a noted kicker of the ball. Brett also doesn't have a rugby union background so he would take a fair while to adapt to Union.

If there is any truth in this story my advise to Brett is grab the money, you owe no one nothing.

I suspect it's just another Zorba/manager/ telecrap beat up though.

I tend to agree with the thoughts already expressed in this thread, and if a legitimate offer I too would not hold it against Snake for taking the big money on offer.

Would almost be like the good old days when we moved everyone on to England and it didn't grind (or attract trolls).

For past performances, Snake would be worth squllions, but with his injury record (and cap restrictions) it may be difficult for the club to offer him the money he is after.

If its a real offer take it Brett, he has given us years of great service and we can only afford what we can. If we lose him it will be terrible but **** happens.

Here is the Tele article

Manly Sea Eagles star Brett Stewart offered $3.5m to quit NRL and join London Irish rugby club
by: Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph June 22, 2012 12:00AM
LONDON Irish rugby union club is preparing a $3.5 million offer to poach Brett Stewart from the NRL.The NSW star is also being chased by two Super League clubs, and interest has been expressed from French rugby union.

The Daily Telegraph understands that Stewart is after a four-year deal at Manly worth $2.4 million.

Stewart is said to be considering a move overseas given the scrutiny he lives under in Sydney.

The star fullback would attract about $850,000 a season from London Irish. Talks between the club and Stewart's management team are well under way.

A move to European rugby union would send shockwaves through the NRL.London Irish are in the second-tier English rugby union competition and coached by Brian Smith, the former Wallaby five-eighth who played rugby league with Balmain and Eastern Suburbs. Smith also played Test rugby union for Ireland.

Former Sydney Roosters centre Setaimata Sa recently signed with London Irish, while former UK league great Shaun Edwards has signed on as defence coach.

Edwards is in Sydney with the Welsh rugby team.

Former Waratahs assistant coach Brian Melrose is also on the coaching staff.

A source in London said: "London Irish have the money. Rugby union has a salary cap twice the size of Super League.

"Brett Stewart would be a sensation over here. We watch him play NRL every week. He is an amazing athlete. He would set alight our competition."

Stewart remains the highest profile NRL player unsigned for next season.

While he is seeking a four-year deal, it's thought Manly are ready to table a three-season contract.

Stewart and his manager, Daryl Mather, will hold further discussions with the Sea Eagles next week.

It is understood Super League clubs could not afford Stewart, especially as his value has increased since his two-try performance in State of Origin II.

He has always expressed a desire to stay at Brookvale but this offer has come from the clouds.

Stewart is certain to be picked for Origin III, but brother Glenn will be unavailable through injury.

Follow @Telegraph_Sport on Twitter and like Telegraph Sport

Huge money ( if real) like Filou at one million a year, mad not to take it but gee we will miss Snakie

Can anyone see Brett leaving his family and going to England? The money would be great for him, but by the sounds of it, the only thing holding him back from signing with Manly is the 4th year he wants.

Go son - take your well deserved pay day. Will break my Manly heart, but would be worse if he played for another NRL club. I think his defence and positional play make him viable in Rugby, kicking those pillow balls is easy

I can't see Brett leaving Glenn, his family & his good mates at Manly to move to England & play a "foreign game". Like others have said good luck to him he deserves a big pay day if that is what he ends up doing.

Would be sad to see him go!
Would be crazy not to take it!
Would be mad to believe anything from the bloke that wrote it!

Hope he stays at Manly till Glenn's contract is up in 2014 - then go RU in UK.

Brett deserves the chance to shine in all arenas - the kicking should not be a problem if he plays on the Wing over there.
Campo did bugger all kicks, but was a phenomenal try scorer.

Will make the future WCC Tours even more interesting :D

Mals said:
I can't see Brett leaving Glenn, his family & his good mates at Manly to move to England & play a "foreign game". Like others have said good luck to him he deserves a big pay day if that is what he ends up doing.

I share your thoughts Mals. Leaving family and friends behind for the cold unknown is a bit of a gamble. Like all, would rather him go OS than play for another nrl team. Will always love this player and sincerely hope he finishes his career in our colours. Give him his fourth year Manly.

voicefromthehill said:
Go son - take your well deserved pay day. Will break my Manly heart, but would be worse if he played for another NRL club. I think his defence and positional play make him viable in Rugby, kicking those pillow balls is easy

Yep!! I think everyone here agree he deserves all the $$$ he can make after his lost earnings due to past dramas. And I'd hate for him to play for another NRL club.
I still wonder who it is at the club leaking this info, SMH reporting yesterday that 17 yr old Gutherson will debut before the season, and then less than 24 hours later this article comes out making me think Ritchie and Telecrap may have finally hit the target.

He's been great for us,a few winning grand finals good luck to him if he takes it.
I'll say this if money is the issue then big mistake by the club it's hard to find good fullbacks.

lloydy said:
Would be sad to see him go!
Would be crazy not to take it!
Would be mad to believe anything from the bloke that wrote it!

Sums it up right here!

If there is any truth to this rumour, he should definitely grab it and set himself up.

However, if there is no truth to it (which is quite likely) again it's the DT reporting bullschnitzel. Take what he says with a grain of salt and it might be being used to push up his contract price from Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7