Stewart nearly back to best: Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Stewart nearly back to best: Toovey
Joe Barton AAP Mon, Feb 13, 2012 - 1:17 PM
Manly coach Geoff Toovey says Brett Stewart is leaps and bounds ahead of where his fitness was at this point last season and he expects the NRL will see the best of the star fullback in 2012 following an injury-free preparation.

Stewart, who missed the 2009 and 2010 seasons with successive knee injuries that threatened his career, returned in a big way last season to resume his role as the crucial cog in Manly's backline.

The 26-year-old also regained his mantle as the Sea Eagles' major try-scoring weapon, crossing for 15 tries from 20 games in 2011, including four in the finals, as he gained confidence in his game and his knees.

And while that was short of his 22 tries in 2008 and 21 in 2006, Toovey believes Stewart will find another gear in the coming season.

"He is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was this time last year," Toovey told AAP.

"He finished the year off in sizzling form. I think he's actually looking forward to starting a season where he's not encumbered by injury.

"It was a very traumatic injury in the sense that there were lots of doubts about whether he could perform at the top level again with his athleticism and whether he could reach his top speeds again.

"But I think he's worked very hard on it and the medical staff have worked very hard on it.

"He's back to his best."

The Sea Eagles will take on Leeds this Saturday (AEDT) in the World Club Challenge, where Stewart will again play a major role in Manly's attack.

And Toovey admits Manly would have struggled to win last year's premiership had it not been for such a successful comeback by Stewart.

"You don't win grand finals without a potent backline," Toovey said.

"And we got that from the likes of Brett and Jamie Lyon. If you take a player like Brett out of that team, then it does reduce that potential."

Thanks B.E. Excellent to read a positive article. I hope he has a injury free season, in fact i hope he has no more injuries for his career. He's had more than his fair share.

Just saw a clip of the team in Leeds in fox sport news and Snake looks very happy! As did all the boys.

lloydy said:
Just saw a clip of the team in Leeds in fox sport news and Snake looks very happy! As did all the boys.

Surely not , according to the wicked witch he's miserable and wants out .

I'm sure the Telecrap will report this as "Brett close to securing release"

Onya Snake , have a big year champion .

Might have to get back into the fold and say a rosary that b stewart has a good injury free run this year. Considering what he achieved on one and half legs most of last year, it would be so fantastic to see him do all the things he could do, for us, in origin, and for straya.

Difficult to imagine what Brett is like at 'fully recovered - at his best.'
Remembering the 'Try of the Year' vs Broncos at Suncorp, scooping a Foz-meister banana kick and passing to Cherry-Ripe.
Does Tooves mean there's gonna be more of them? I'm excited!

Snake is a rare talent. Great attacking footballer but also a courageous & effective defender! Not often do you see both traits in a fullback. Hope to see Snake really enjoy his footy under Toovey's guidance this year & here's hoping that he can remain fit & healthy!! :)

BOZO said:
Ian Martin tragic said:
Might have to get back into the fold and say a rosary that b stewart has a good injury free run this year. Considering what he achieved on one and half legs most of last year, it would be so fantastic to see him do all the things he could do, for us, in origin, and for straya.
Injury free he is the best No1
Let the pretenders tremble, the Prince of Brookvale is back.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7