Stewart looking for Catalans deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
100% @Turbo . We've got another 10 games to play including this Monday against the Cows. Unless we do lose Tom to injury I would keep him in the centres where his running is potentially limited, if only to not over stress the ankle. And even then unless he physically can't, you know he's still going to run for close to 150 every game. At fullback he'd be doing close on 200 most weeks.

But I honestly believe that a fully fit Tommy will be a revelation at fullback for us next year. He has what it takes to be RTS like with his running numbers from the back and defensively he is learning quickly.

The advantage of having a fullback who can make as many metres as Tom does is understated really. For the past few years Snake has not made many metres running the ball back from kicks. Quite often he makes maybe 10-15 metres at a time and sometimes less than that. What that actually does is put pressure on the wingers to do more work so that the forwards have time to get back onside to take hit ups. And it means that the forwards have to run further to get back onside to then take runs. Do that often enough and pretty soon the bigger guys are running out of gas. You have a fullback who makes 20-30 metres or more on kick returns and the forwards aren't doing as much work to get back onside and can go for longer because they aren't running out of puff as quickly.

Snake can potentially finish the season on a high. He just needs to get his head right and play smarter. He may not have his running game any more but the skills are still there. The main on-field concern really is his now non-existent defensive game. Once considered the best defensive fullback in the NRL, he is statistically the worst defensive fullback in 2016. But it would also help if the line in front of him wasn't so brittle.

If Snake does leave (and I believe he will), I honestly hope its not until 2017. Don't get me wrong, I know he's in horrible form right now but my concern is that if he leaves early, moving Tommy to fullback would mean a lot more running and I'm not sure Tommy's ankle is up to it.

Even in the centres where he would theoretically do less running, Tommy is hobbling through every game because he's still running close on 150 metres every time. I don't want to lose the kid to injury again by having him do more running from fullback.

Honestly, I can't wait to see a fully fit (with 2 good legs) Tom Trbojevic playing fullback for Manly in 2017. But with his ankle the way it currently is I question the wisdom of playing him there in 2016 no matter how badly Snake is playing. And if the only other options are Wiliame or Godinet.....then I am all for Snake playing until the end of the season.

He just needs to get his head into games. He may not be able to run like he used to but his passing and organising skills are still there (even if at times our defensive line doesn't show it).

maybe we should put TT into prop ... they don't do much running :rolleyes:

It would seem now that any deal involving Catalans is at the end of this season SO if he gets his head right maybe he can bow out with some grace.

Last edited:
Three more tries will take him to #4 in the all-time list behind Irvine, Menzies and Slater.

Ideally he would pass Slater but I don't think it will happen unfortunately.

If Snake hadn't missed most of 2009 and virtually all of 2010.....he could very easily have been up there with Ken Irvine. He might not have got as many as Mongo, but I think without all the time he's missed through injury he could easily have got over the 200 try mark.

If Snake hadn't missed most of 2009 and virtually all of 2010.....he could very easily have been up there with Ken Irvine. He might not have got as many as Mongo, but I think without all the time he's missed through injury he could easily have got over the 200 try mark.
And if I was male and had all of Snake's skills but was bulletproof injury wise, I coulda been THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Ah well, not to be.

Based on his current form he's very unlikely to score another meat pie full stop!!

Maybe if he does the deal to leave he will get switched on, I live in hope but don't think it will happen.
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

In some ways I've been hoping he's been carrying an injury, it's easier for me to accept than to believe he's just switched off.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

In some ways I've been hoping he's been carrying an injury, it's easier for me to accept than to believe he's just switched off.

If it was that I think he'd have been rested, the fact that he hasn't suggests to me it's 75% mental.

No doubt the Hammies aren't what they used to be , but his total lack of effort in defence isn't being caused by hamstring issues.

I can understand the not being able to run at blinding pace any more angle BUT his actions on field are a lot more than that !!

If it was that I think he'd have been rested, the fact that he hasn't suggests to me it's 75% mental.

No doubt the Hammies aren't what they used to be , but his total lack of effort in defence isn't being caused by hamstring issues.

I can understand the not being able to run at blinding pace any more angle BUT his actions on field are a lot more than that !!

I was even trying to come up with the excuse of not having enough fit players to allow him time to recuperate. Sadly I'm starting to think what you're saying is closer to the truth.

I've found that when recovering from injury after the first five minutes you forget that your not 100% and either go good or break down again.

At least there won't be players butting heads after Snake leaves. Sick of hearing about player unrest. It's been taken into the field and really effecting the club. He is a club legend but as a fan right now I can't wait until he goes so we can start to move forward.
X2

This is the Brett I will never forget. He took my young bloke aside and spoke to him at a fans training session. Look at Brett in this photo! Happy, smiling...the future of Manly 2004
IMG_0759.JPG

Danny the worm has laid these latest castings regarding Brett's situation. Not only isn't he leaving, he's looking for an extension.@:eek:

Snake eyes 2018

Brett Stewart is not keen on calling it a day in the NRL and has been talking about playing in 2018.

Something that certainly has not been discussed is a move to France to play with his brother Glenn. There is a thought Stewart would benefit from playing on both sides of the field again, rather than being limited to the left side of the field. As for being told to look at other clubs, that hasn't been relayed to Stewart.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-be-picked-20160625-gprwx5.html#ixzz4Caw9keLq
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6