Steven Bell to Catalans ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
In Kevin heaven
Jason Avedissian

31 May 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/31/10389_sports.html

New Catalans boss makes Bell his first big name target

INCOMING Catalans coach Kevin Walters has targeted Manly centre Steven Bell as a priority signing.

Walters joined the French club last week and has already held initial talks with the former Maroons centre.

Bell is off contract at the Sea Eagles and could easily command more money playing in the English Super League.

Walters told The Manly Daily last night Bell still has plenty to offer and expects to secure him to a two-year contract over the coming weeks.

``We are very interested in him,'' the ex-Queensland and Australian five-eighth said.

``I have spoken to Steven but it's still early, we've only just started talks.''

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said he was aware of the interest in Bell from Catalans and indicated the Sea Eagles could only offer the 32-year-old a one-year deal.

``From what we understand it's (Catalans interest) a longer deal than we can offer,'' Mayer said. ``We'll see how it plays out in the coming weeks.''

Bell is not the only off-contract Sea Eagle commanding attention in Europe with veteran forward Steve Menzies linked to a radical move to Castleford at the end of the year. At 34, Menzies has been widely tipped to retire at the end of this season.

His manager Wayne Beavis yesterday refused to deny the English club was interested in his client.

``No comment, it's purely speculation,'' Beavis said. ``I don't know what he's doing at Manly yet. It's a matter for him to decide.''

The speculation saw Castleford post a statement on their website yesterday, refusing to be drawn on pursuing Menzies.

``We are in talks with overseas players with a view to signing for next year but there is nothing to announce at the moment,'' the bland statement read.

Hooker Matt Ballin is another Sea Eagle off contract. The 24-year-old is expected to commence discussions with Manly next week.

With Brisbane hooker Michael Ennis strongly tipped to join the Bulldogs in 2009, Ballin has been linked with a return to his junior club.

Right move for Bell & us.

Good to see a player manager (Beavis) be discreet for once re Beaver.

Unless we have a major change in the bench lineup in mind we really have to keep Ballin.

If beaver has one more season left in him, then I sure as hell hope it is with Manly and no other side!  Just can't bear to think that he will play for another side even if it is in the ESL!! 

Or am I just being selfish??  Almost reduces me to tears contemplating beavers last ever game for the Maroons!!

ants link said:
If beaver has one more season left in him, then I sure as hell hope it is with Manly and no other side!  Just can't bear to think that he will play for another side even if it is in the ESL!! 

Or am I just being selfish??  Almost reduces me to tears contemplating beavers last ever game for the Maroons!!
Don't call Belly "Beaver". There is only one "Beaver" at Manly & that's Steve Menzies. Belly may have been "Beaver" when he was with Melbourne but those days are gone.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Jethro, they are talking about Menzies

He is apparently being offered a huge deal by Castleford

No, refer "ants" comment:

"Or am I just being selfish??  Almost reduces me to tears contemplating beavers last ever game for the Maroons!!"

and also the thread title "Steven Bell to Catalans ?"

Steve Menzies plays/played for the Blues not the Maroons. Steve Bell (whos nickname when he played for the Storm was "Beaver" plays/played for the Maroons.

haha, sorry Jethro, seems as though I may have caused you some confusion!!  Perhaps I should have included the words "and white" (as in Maroon and White) to indicate I was referring to Manly!!

You are definately right when you say there is only one Beaver, you have no arguments from me!!

ants link said:
haha, sorry Jethro, seems as though I may have caused you some confusion!!  Perhaps I should have included the words \"and white\" (as in Maroon and White) to indicate I was referring to Manly!!

You are definately right when you say there is only one Beaver, you have no arguments from me!!

No Worries ants

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7