Steve Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
Tonight pulled off one of the greatest tackles I have ever seen.

Hammered a rampaging prop off the kick off who has +30kgs on him.

Unreal. This bloke is a god!!

How many times does Steve put his body on the line his reputation on the line for the sake of lifting the squad with a big hit when the chips are down love his commitment.

Many of his suspensions are due to Matai doing his best to lift the squad with a big hit. Sometimes you have to push close to the boundaries to make that explosive game changing impact. He is willing to risk looking like the bad guy if it does not come off for the benefit of the team and help turn a game around that is leadership in the physical sense.

Great post tc..

It was a great hit, I really don't think there was much in it, but geez that contact was awesome. I'd like to see foran/horo/Matai/hor-hay combination given some more time with the ball in the opp. 20. They are all such great runners.. Snake loitering out the back and just have fozzy throwing the face ball all game..

Back to Matai. ****ing love him.

Sensational hit, but he didn't get involved as much with the ball as I would have liked. I think we played more to the right hand side more in this game more than we have for the entire year, obviously they thought Lyon would get the better of Goodwin but it just never happened. Unfortunately I don't think Stevie or Jorge got the carry the ball as much as I would have liked.

Matai and Watmough are cut from the same cloth. Their toughness and commitment to the team are big reasons why we have won two titles since 08 and they could win us more.

Matai's hits are iconic. He hurts the opposition far more than anybody else.

I haven't seen the replay yet but going by these comments I'm assuming Matai's hit was ok?

Stunned that the tackle was penalised. Putting it on report was a soft decision by the ref.

The younger Burgess had ice on his shoulder after the game right where the tackle hit.

Was the young burgess lying on the ground injured, crying or wetting his pants.

Was the older burgess throwing hay makers like my old granny.

We belted them tonight and it will be in the back of their mind later this year.

silvertail said:
Was the young burgess lying on the ground injured, crying or wetting his pants.

Was the older burgess throwing hay makers like my old granny.

We belted them tonight and it will be in the back of their mind later this year.

Cant agree. I thought Souths gave as good as they got. In any case, I'd much rather have the 2 points than a moral victory in the belting stakes. Confident we can get them next time around if we just play footy.

bones said:
I haven't seen the replay yet but going by these comments I'm assuming Matai's hit was ok?

It 'should' be

1st contact was the ball, then very minimal contact with the chin

If you're hit that hard you're entitled to stay down for a bit, not many bounce straight up from a shot like that

Kiwi Eagle said:
bones said:

It 'should' be

1st contact was the ball, then very minimal contact with the chin

The fact the ref said he hit the ball says it all. I didn't realize that could go on report.

Also since when does the third man in being burgess not go to the bin for instigating a fight?

Edit: sorry just realized there is a whole thread on the binning situation

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4