Steve Matai warns Sea Eagles could fly coup if Glenn Stewart leaves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gift and Snake are the heart and soul of this legendary era. They must be kept at all costs.

mickqld said:
Gift and Snake are the heart and soul of this legendary era. They must be kept at all costs.
Agree. For what they've contributed to the club they deserve to stay together and play out their careers at Manly. I sincerely hope the club shows them loyalty and also considers the connection with the fans.

niccipops said:
mickqld said:
Agree. For what they've contributed to the club they deserve to stay together and play out their careers at Manly. I sincerely hope the club shows them loyalty and also considers the connection with the fans.

We all want them to stay but if Gift is after decent coin the club may not be able to afford him without letting go of other younger players like DCE and Foran. What is the club suppose to do, Rort the cap?

All valid points.

We are going to shed players every year and gain new ones, that's the way it works.

I cried when Kitey left.

torana355 said:
We all want them to stay but if Gift is after decent coin the club may not be able to afford him without letting go of other younger players like DCE and Foran. What is the club suppose to do, Rort the cap?
No to cap rorting. I believe in players taking pay cuts to stay together if that is allowed.
I've mentioned this before but I believe if we cutting G.Stewart to retain DCE on massive dollars it's the wrong option. DCE is only signing for two years. Hopefully he'll stay longer but the possibility of him chasing money is extremely high.
We know both Stewart brothers want to be Sea Eagles for life.
To me as a fan, that's important.

niccipops said:
torana355 said:
No to cap rorting. I believe in players taking pay cuts to stay together if that is allowed.
I've mentioned this before but I believe if we cutting G.Stewart to retain DCE on massive dollars it's the wrong option. DCE is only signing for two years. Hopefully he'll stay longer but the possibility of him chasing money is extremely high.
We know both Stewart brothers want to be Sea Eagles for life.
To me as a fan, that's important.

Ok thats a big call, i would say keeping DCE should be our number 1 priority, Halfbacks don't come by everyday, especially ones with the potential DCE has. I can only imagine the outcry by Manly fans if we let Foran or DCE go to keep players that are close to the end of their careers.

torana355 said:
Ok thats a big call, i would say keeping DCE should be our number 1 priority, Halfbacks don't come by everyday, especially ones with the potential DCE has. I can only imagine the outcry by Manly fans if we let Foran or DCE go to keep players that are close to the end of their careers.
I know it's a huge call. I really want DCE to stay and hopefully over the years he'll become an extremely loyal Manly player. Atm DCE is extremely careful with his wording when asked about being a one club player.
I think both Stewarts deserve to play out their careers at Manly. Just my opinion.

niccipops said:
torana355 said:
I know it's a huge call. I really want DCE to stay and hopefully over the years he'll become an extremely loyal Manly player. Atm DCE is extremely careful with his wording when asked about being a one club player.
I think both Stewarts deserve to play out their careers at Manly. Just my opinion.

Point taken. I wish we could just keep them all. :)

These blokes are kidding themselves.

We lived through losing Eadie Randall Krilich and Thompson at the same time, they all had more impressive records than our current playing group.

If they want to go, then go.

Can't agree Bob. In the modern era with the salary cap it is almost unheard of to make the semis for basically a decade.Half the top 8 teams each year miss the next final series! 4 Grand Finals in 7 years against that backdrop is unbelieveable. This is a special group with a culture that is way beyond any other side in the comp.

In our great era in the 70s and early eighties we bought every player within sight.We decimated Souths and Wests buying players.Great teams but given the lack of the salary cap and our purchasing power at the time compared to other sides you are not comparing apples with apples.

Its just "the leak" using his mouthpiece in the Telegraph to push stories that put pressure on management to give his 2 mates some leverage in contract negotiations.

Don't buy into it, let management make the correct and sensible decision. Not an emotive one presented by 3rd rate puppet journo's.

susan said:
Can't agree Bob. In the modern era with the salary cap it is almost unheard of to make the semis for basically a decade.Half the top 8 teams each year miss the next final series! 4 Grand Finals in 7 years against that backdrop is unbelieveable. This is a special group with a culture that is way beyond any other side in the comp.

In our great era in the 70s and early eighties we bought every player within sight.We decimated Souths and Wests buying players.Great teams but given the lack of the salary cap and our purchasing power at the time compared to other sides you are not comparing apples with apples.

I think this nails it. Coaches talk about a "window" to win a premiership, usually 2-3 years. We've had a 7 year window, and that is not achieved just by replacing players as they move on. Its developed over a long time within a core group of very, very good players, who have accepted unders to stay together. In my opnion, our window can last until next year if we can keep the team together. After that, natural attrition will relegate us back into a rebuilding phase. Blokes like Terbjovic and Gutherson will not just come in and take over where King and Brett Stewart left off. They will need more time to mature and develop.

We are also talking about how Hiku is a ready made replacement for Brett. He's not. He's only about 80% of the player Brett is, and won't get any closer (he's still very good, just not in Brett's class).

I guess what I'm saying is, we have 2 more years in which to win a premiership before a drought. I say we do whatever it takes to take advantage of that by retaining Glen if we can. I can then live with a rebuilding phase knowing that we squeezed every last drop from the great culture that was developed over the past 7 years.

Poor Hiku, champion this week, then he'll likely have a quieter game v Wests and the mob will be after him with pitch forks.

The fact is he looks quite a good prospect, i put him alongside Whare.

My long held belief was that we should not re-sign Wolfman but we did.

Therefore i think its likely Hiku will go, and to be honest as good as his been and as good as he could become we have Stewart for a least another couple of seasons and Gutherson and Tom coming through.

Remember, 2 years is a long time in football

I trust the club to make the right decision for the success of the club. I was pissed when Turd-Rex left...Ha! Master-stroke!

I'm more concerned with Matai's earlier comment - "...hopefully this weekend we'll have an easier game against the Tigers..." That was probably the mentality going into the Parra game.

At least Hiku is playing this week. If Glenn can't be kept (and I for one hope he can be) and his brother wants to go, then don't let the door hit you on the way out. Possibly the 600k a year he is getting for the dozen or so games he makes it onto the paddock can be better spent on someone with a bit more resilience.

The Indian said:
Its just "the leak" using his mouthpiece in the Telegraph to push stories that put pressure on management to give his 2 mates some leverage in contract negotiations.

Don't buy into it, let management make the correct and sensible decision. Not an emotive one presented by 3rd rate puppet journo's.

Yes if anyone on here is a mate of " the leak" then good luck to you, you are a rare find indeed these days.

I cannot believe how "the leak" (who is supposed to love the club) just does everything he can to bring it down.

It's fine having a beef with the CEO, but what he says impacts all of us!!

Bugger off leak we are all sick of you!

It wasn't that many years ago '08 I believe when we "apparently" had an average half back & a stand in five eight. How well did those guys go?

Then beaver left us & the world was coming to an end. Until '11.

Years earlier the sky was falling when Vautin & Fulton left us.

We have a long history of keeping players longer than most clubs (just look at the pride of the league. New record at 200+ games for someone).

We also have a long history of releasing players a year before they become a burden & cost the club.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2