Stephen Rodger Waugh

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Steve Waugh joins Hall of Fame

Brydon Coverdale

February 2, 2009

158981.jpg

Steve Waugh will join the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame just five years after retiring from international cricket © Getty Images

Steve Waugh will become the youngest man in the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame when he is inducted on Tuesday, less than a month after he passed the minimum requirement of being out of the game for five years. At the MCG on Monday, Waugh was announced as the 30th member of the body and said it was fitting to speak of the honour at the place where he played his first Test in 1985-86.

"It's nice to be here at the MCG," Waugh said. "That's where it started 20-odd years ago. Walking out to bat for that first time, I was just happy to play one Test. To be here today to be inducted in the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame is quite amazing when I look back on it."

Waugh, 43, went on to play a world-record 168 Tests - a mark that still stands - and he is fourth on the Test run tally with 10,927. Waugh is also the most successful Test captain of all men who led their side in at least 20 matches, with a winning ratio of 71.92% from his 57 Tests in charge from 1999 to 2004.

The success later in Waugh's career was a significant change from when he first appeared in the Australian side at the age of 20. At that time, the team was struggling in the years following the retirements of key players and also lost members who were suspended due to the rebel tours of South Africa.

"I feel fortunate I've played in a couple of different eras," Waugh said. "One where we're rebuilding the side in the mid-80s and I guess we took over as the dominant side after we beat the Windies in '95. I was lucky that I was part of two very different eras, I learnt a lot of lessons along the way.

"What I used to judge myself on was coming back from adversity. That's what most players really pride themselves on. It's not so much the good times - you're going to have some of those and it's quite easy to do things well when things are going smoothly - but when there's a few spanners in the works, they're the real times when you test yourself."

Waugh, whose final Test was in January 2004, will join one of his team-mates from the same era, Ian Healy, in the Hall of Fame after the wicketkeeper was inducted last year. Players are selected for their status as "sporting legends" as well as their outstanding records.

Waugh will officially receive the honour at the Allan Border Medal presentation in Melbourne on Tuesday. Favourites for the award, which Waugh won in 2001, include Mitchell Johnson, Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting.

Australian Cricket Hall of Fame

Fred Spofforth, Jack Blackham, Victor Trumper, Clarrie Grimmett, Bill Ponsford, Sir Donald Bradman, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Miller, Ray Lindwall, Dennis Lillee

Warwick Armstrong, Neil Harvey, Allan Border

Bill Woodfull, Arthur Morris

Stan McCabe, Greg Chappell

Lindsay Hassett, Ian Chappell

Hugh Trumble, Alan Davidson

Clem Hill, Rod Marsh

Monty Noble, Bob Simpson

Charles Macartney, Richie Benaud

George Giffen, Ian Healy

Steve Waugh

Brydon Coverdale is a staff writer at Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

Easily my favourite player of the modern era. 

If he was playing with the current rabble he would be averaging 100 as he only got the big scores when he came in at 3/20. 

Actually I'd put him in the hall of fame just for this effort at a press conference:

Female journo: "Steve, how did you get the nickname tugga?"
SRW: "Well, we do spend a lot of time away from our wives on tour....."

clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif

What a moronic question to ask when his surname is Waugh.

I like his brother's nickname when Steve was in the test team in the 80s and Mark was being ignored and left in the NSW team. He was called AFGHANISTAN - the forgotten war (Waugh)!!

As a pure cricketer i always like Mark better, but Steve was jsut so much mentaly tougher.

Canteen Worker link said:
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif
clap0xd.gif

What a moronic question to ask when his surname is Waugh.

I like his brother's nickname when Steve was in the test team in the 80s and Mark was being ignored and left in the NSW team. He was called AFGHANISTAN - the forgotten war (Waugh)!!
[/quote[quote author=Zep link=topic=179093.msg206213#msg206213 date=1233701148]
As a pure cricketer i always like Mark better, but Steve was jsut so much mentaly tougher.

It was a female reporter!

Chicks just don't "get" nicknames.

Chip & Chase link said:
Mark was a more naturally gifted cricketer.
Whilst averages aren't everything - Steves is almost 10 better and if you needed someone to bat for your life, I know which one I would choose.

It's not what talent you are born with that matters its what you do with it I reckon. 

Not only did Steve average more but he had a knack of saving his best innings for when they were most needed. 

and he wrote a better book ...............but I'm still a purist, so Mark wins for me every time in the Waugh brothers' argument.

whats "pure" about throwing your wicket away on numerous occasions.

Whats "pure" about having a highest score as low as he did.

Whats "pure" about consorting with bookies and passing on information.

1/2 the cricketer of Steve, 1/4 the human being..

What's pure about admitting that your not good enough and shelving shots from your arsenal ? Sure Steve was mentally tougher, but at least Mark backed his ability every time. Mark was a better fielder and bowler, and also probably a more honest cricketer. To say he was half the cricketer of his brother shows that you don't know much about cricket. The bookie thing wasn't a good look, just naivety / stupidity on his part, but it was hardly a Cronje like effort.

Mark clearly had the better hands in the field and was capable of taking some amazing catches, but Steve wasn't a slouch and I wouldn't be so quick to say he was the better bowler. I'd say Steve was the superior bowler, and the record books support that.

I won't go into the bookie thing, because while it was a stupid thing to do at the time, I don't think it is a way to judge Mark as a cricketer. Makes him look ordinary as a person, but hardly affects his on field play. Not many people would suggest Stuey MacGill is a better bowler than Shane Warne despite Warne's off-field dramas. The same should apply here.

As for the batting side of things...Mark backed his ability every time? Perhaps, but if that was the difference between scoring a run-a-ball 15 and a dogged 65, I'll take the runs every time. Even if it means Steve would wait three overs for the loose delivery to arrive, at least he'd value his wicket.

Mark had his fans, because he was graceful and a joy to watch, but this is a pretty simple style over substance arguement and most followers of the game would pick Steve in their all-time teams ahead of his twin.

No doubt most would pick Steve* in there team at number 5 or 6. But Mark was brilliant partning Gilchrist in ODI's. TBH i would love to see either one back in this current team. The change over has been too quick and it isn't going to helpo losing 1 player a season from now on.

[img=400x307]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/22/calypso_wideweb__430x331.jpg[/img]

"What the **** are you looking at?"

"Don't cuss me, man"

"Why don't you go and get ****ed."

He certainly was a tough, uncomprimising bastard I'll give him that.

Chip & Chase link said:
. To say he was half the cricketer of his brother shows that you don't know much about cricket.

Sorry Champ, maybe a 3rd but I was talking him up.

well according to your outstanding pool of knowledge I dont know much about cricket, but I dont think I'll break out the razor blades just yet.

Fro link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=179093.msg206474#msg206474 date=1234063942]
. To say he was half the cricketer of his brother shows that you don't know much about cricket.

Sorry Champ.
[/quote]

Apology accepted ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4