Step aside Lyon, Mason most over-rated

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Mason most overrated league player

July 16, 2008 SYDNEY Roosters forward Willie Mason has been voted the most over-rated player in the NRL by his peers.

Mason polled 20 per cent of the vote in Rugby League Week magazine's annual players poll to take the game's most unwanted title off Manly's Jamie Lyon, who copped the rap in 2007.

The former Bulldogs player, who had a mediocre State of Origin series with New South Wales, becomes the fifth Roosters player to take the over-rated tag since it was first added to poll in 2000, following in the footsteps of Craig Wing, Brad Fittler, Braith Anasta and Justin Hodges.

"I don't know who they surveyed, they surveyed about 100 players ... must have been a few half-backs I ran over," Mason said.

Mason also featured prominently in the biggest sledger category, which was taken out by Parramatta No.7 Brett Finch with 21 per cent of the vote.

Finch showed yet again he has the ability to polarise opinion - and his peers - winning biggest sledger and biggest sook but also romping home in the new category of funniest player in the game.

Melbourne superstar Greg Inglis meanwhile dethroned fellow Queenslander Johnathan Thurston for the prestigious title of the game's best player.

The poll, now in its 23rd year, takes in the opinions of 100 NRL players.

Well after the way he played in the Origin & against the Titans plus the way he always shoot off his mouth he probably deserves it.

Although I reckon it is BS & very disrespectful to anyone who gets it.

just watch lyon in action againts the sharks have to say he had a great game when has a player join a team and jelled with the rest of the team from the off,

Keep up the good work Jamie

Why would he run where he isn't the most dangerous though ? Beaver wouldn't have 170 tries if he ran straight at forwards

Anyhow, i reckon it is garbage this award, it just seems to go to the biggest target each year

Webb and Hoffman are 2 that spring to mind as over-rated aboe Mason

Turner
Anasta
Hunt

For mine the most over-rated player I have ever seen and/or heard is Benji Marshal He has to be the most useless sod running around.

I don't get why people think that when Benji and Hunt jump up in the air on the spot and kick their legs like Angus Young, that they call this a step and think it is a fantastic move. I long for the day for one of them to do it and just get smashed into the dirt mid Giraffe kick.

The following players are overrated:

K.Hunt
D.Boyd
D.Stagg
B.Hannant
C.Parker
L.Burt
M.Riddell
A.Harrison
L.Coote
W.Graham
B.Pomeroy
B.Ross
P.Gallen
C.Paterson
T.Winitana
A.Taumata
B.Tate
S.Mannering
M.Luck
J.Ropati
N.Costigan
S.Kenny-Dowall
W.Mason
C.Sandow
T.Tuiaki
B.Gibbs
B.Harrison
L.Fulton
S.Turner
A.Quinn
J.Lima
D.Johnson
J.Poore
B.Creagh

"Willie Mason has been voted the most over-rated player in the NRL by his peers". Oh derrr!!! The only thing that he may have going for him is his size because to me he certainly shows a lack of football talent.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Interesting list, wouldn't have Poore, Mannering or Creagh on there personally, Mannering especially

All 3 are solid first graders at best - yet they are built up to be rep players. Overrated!

I reckon any club and their fans in the NRL would take Lyon in their squad in a heart beat.
Absolute weapon...and probably one of the most UNDER rated 5/8's at the moment IMO.

Jamie is fantastic and he has been ever since he joined us.  His defense is a joy to watch and he's taking on more of the attacking role.  Very good as Orford's attacking skills are poor.  Anasta for mine is the most overrated, followed by Gasnier then Finch and then the whole of the Souths team.

I don't think Gasnier or Anasta is overated... the most overated player in the NRL is the REF!.

Lyon is in the form that saw him as the best player in England.

If you are using Willies self assessment of his ability as the yardstick, than of course he is overrated. I can't remember another player who talked so much talk and delivered so little walk.

Sorry scratch that, I just remembered one Mr. A. Mundine. Now there was a player whose opinion of his own ability was light years ahead of what was actually produced on the field.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4