State of Origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Peter C

Bencher
Just one week before the second S of O, and I've already had a gutful, I just can't take any more of it.
In the future I will be looking to take any holidays overseas during this period, something I would have never dreamed of in the past as I hate missing any club games.
Sick of Paul Gallen, sick of Laurie Daley, sick of the media saturation , sick of Channel Nine, sick of all the speculation of who's in and who's out, and most of all sick of these piss poor games we are left with during the series.
State of Origin has truly farked up the game, we may as well just play one round of NRL and have a best out of 11 Origin series.
But hey!, that's just me ranting

Cheers for starting the first SOO 2 thread, Peter! UH OH! Looks like the maroons might be a bit crook...that would make them the under(wait for it)dogs. How good is Barney Stinson? LOL!

PLAYERS have been quarantined and others were physically ill at training after a virus ripped through Camp Maroon disrupting Queensland’s preparations for Origin II.

Almost half the camp – including players and coaching and support staff – have been affected by the viral gastroenteritis since Thursday.

Jacob Lillyman failed to even attend yesterday’s training session at Sanctuary Cove and is reported to be the worst affected.

Matt Scott, Corey Oates and Aidan Guerra were separated from the main group and attempted to complete a light training session before Oates threw up and the players were packed off to their quarters to rest.

Coach Kevin Walters said the situation was not ideal but medical staff expected the virus, which has caused vomiting and diarrhoea, to have passed within the next 24 hours.

“That’s Origin... you think you’re in for smooth sailing and all of a sudden you hit a bit of rough water,” Walters said yesterday.

“But I don’t think it affects us too much.

“Hopefully, they’ll all be right for (tomorrow’s) training session; we need to get a few things right to be ready for the Blues on Wednesday.”

Walters said while several players had come down with the virus, Lillyman was the worst affected.

“Jacob (Lillyman) has probably been hit the worst, I suppose he’s a bigger body so the bug enjoys his system a bit better than others and he’s been knocked around a fair bit,” Walters said.

“Hopefully, he’ll be right.

“It’s up to six guys (players) that have had it now over the last couple of days but it’s not a major issue; it’s just one that we have to get on top of.”

Meanwhile, Michael Morgan says he will not carry the disappointment of his club performance against Cronulla into Origin II.

Morgan said he had been filthy after throwing the pass that led to an intercept try for Valentine Holmes in the Sharks’ 13-10 win against the Cowboys on Monday night.

“I was really annoyed after the game and the next day it was a bit hard to get over but JT said you’re not a good half until you’ve thrown an intercept,” Morgan said of the wise words from his captain Johnathan Thurston.

“That helps a little bit coming from him. I won’t take it into this game or anything.”

But he said the loss could help prepare the Maroons’ Cowboys contingent ahead of the clash against the Blues.

“It was a real grinding game and it was a very physical side on Monday night,” he said yesterday.

Morgan, who has made the Queensland and Australian utility role his own over the past 12 months, said he had not been surprised the Blues decided to give their utility Dylan Walker another run on Wednesday.

“It doesn’t change anything for me; they’ll probably look to get him on there a little bit earlier and see what he can do,” Morgan said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...m/news-story/c7e55e87a10ddf15fcb6133f95ed25f6

I too am over Origin. It should be one game per year winner takes all.
But that would not make business sense.

The only thing worse than the S.O.O. is the channel 9 footy show and until Fox start to cover it it will always be a joke. The visuals are OK but really the commentary is a disgrace. They should can it A.S.A.P.

I love it. Just like the 34 blokes that take the field do. Both sides want the win. They couldn't care less about TV ratings, advertising dollars or promoting the game once they hit the ground. They just want to play a high intensity, tough, knock down and drag out game of footy.

I also love the affect it has on selected players when they return to club level. The belief and support NSW showed in selecting Dylan Walker has seen him reborn, so to speak. He is back to his best footy, and that is good for Dylan, Manly and NSW.

The only down side to origin for me is the injury aspect, but players get injured almost every weekend, and if every game of footy was as intensely fought as origin...we'd have to run a 6 week comp, because after that we'd run out of players. The players lift for origin and expose themselves to more injury possibilities because they love and appreciate the opportunity to play for their state, not because they are forced to play it. They want to.

Maybe change the timing to the end of the year? I'd rather watch origin at the end of the year than a test match. I agree with the idea of a one off game also @manlyfan76 A one off game would see nien able to charge whatever they wanted to for advertising. They could triple their rates and make all their money in one swoop. But where to play it?? I think that would make it an even tougher game and a greater spectacle if it was winner takes all!

But hey, that's just me.

@:)

I love it. Just like the 34 blokes that take the field do. Both sides want the win. They couldn't care less about TV ratings, advertising dollars or promoting the game once they hit the ground. They just want to play a high intensity, tough, knock down and drag out game of footy.

I also love the affect it has on selected players when they return to club level. The belief and support NSW showed in selecting Dylan Walker has seen him reborn, so to speak. He is back to his best footy, and that is good for Dylan, Manly and NSW.

The only down side to origin for me is the injury aspect, but players get injured almost every weekend, and if every game of footy was as intensely fought as origin...we'd have to run a 6 week comp, because after that we'd run out of players. The players lift for origin and expose themselves to more injury possibilities because they love and appreciate the opportunity to play for their state, not because they are forced to play it. They want to.

Maybe change the timing to the end of the year? I'd rather watch origin at the end of the year than a test match. I agree with the idea of a one off game also @manlyfan76 A one off game would see nien able to charge whatever they wanted to for advertising. They could triple their rates and make all their money in one swoop. But where to play it?? I think that would make it an even tougher game and a greater spectacle if it was winner takes all!

But hey, that's just me.

@:)
I think the players love the 50K per match a bit too.

I'm with Moz. I love SOO and very much look forward to it. Probably even more so this year with the Eagles struggling a bit. Hopefully the Blues can win number 2 and send it to a decider

I'm not into it much anymore. Probably being smacked around the head with a decade of losses, some self enforced, doesn't help. But I can't understand the non selection of beau Scott. Though he's a squeels player he puts the fear factor into Thurston. Has him looking over his shoulder. Would like to see him at Manly as a BK type.

Walker to start in the centres for Josh Morris! Jack Bird to bench.
Is this what is happening BE or just your preference? My problem with this is that Inglis would have a field day opposite Walker and use him as a turnstile. Morris is there to keep Inglis quiet. Hopefully Walker gets 10 min at the back of each half

Is this what is happening BE or just your preference? My problem with this is that Inglis would have a field day opposite Walker and use him as a turnstile. Morris is there to keep Inglis quiet. Hopefully Walker gets 10 min at the back of each half

On the other side of the coin, give Walker clean, early ball and he'll run rings around fatty like Mitch Moses did the other week.

Just one week before the second S of O, and I've already had a gutful, I just can't take any more of it.
In the future I will be looking to take any holidays overseas during this period, something I would have never dreamed of in the past as I hate missing any club games.
Sick of Paul Gallen, sick of Laurie Daley, sick of the media saturation , sick of Channel Nine, sick of all the speculation of who's in and who's out, and most of all sick of these piss poor games we are left with during the series.
State of Origin has truly farked up the game, we may as well just play one round of NRL and have a best out of 11 Origin series.
But hey!, that's just me ranting
This will be Daley and Gallens last series with any luck

Couldn't believe James tamou on the radio during the week saying the plan is to tackle Qld out of it. Please...... Like that's worked before. Play footy for f.s!!! See if that works.

As a South Aussie I can safely say that I only watch Origin because it supposedly showcases the best players in the country. I have no bias towards either state other than having all of my dad's side of the family living in Sydney (mostly on the Northern Beaches ;) ).

The only bias I have is hoping that any Manly player selected actually plays well AND comes out of it injury free.

I'm not sure how many people (especially the younger generation) realise that State of Origin was actually borrowed from Aussie rules. Like NSW continually poaching Qld's star players for many years, the VFL used to constantly steal the best players from SA, WA and even Tassie. SoO actually began in 1977 in Perth when WA beat Victoria for the first time in god knows how long.

As a South Aussie I can safely say that I only watch Origin because it supposedly showcases the best players in the country. I have no bias towards either state other than having all of my dad's side of the family living in Sydney (mostly on the Northern Beaches ;) ).

The only bias I have is hoping that any Manly player selected actually plays well AND comes out of it injury free.

I'm not sure how many people (especially the younger generation) realise that State of Origin was actually borrowed from Aussie rules. Like NSW continually poaching Qld's star players for many years, the VFL used to constantly steal the best players from SA, WA and even Tassie. SoO actually began in 1977 in Perth when WA beat Victoria for the first time in god knows how long.
What was the reason it didn't last? Club selfishness would be my guess. Can't see that happening here but it certainly stymies international rugby league.

100% correct @Harvies elbow . AFL clubs didn't want their high priced (star) players getting injured in what they saw as nothing games played mid-season and more and more players would be ruled as unavailable for selection due to 'injury' (kinda like City vs Country). Interstate football still exists in Aussie rules footy, but the AFL doesn't take any part in it, only the various state leagues and its residence, not Origin based.

State of Origin was actually a big thing for Aussie rules in the 1980's, especially as both SA and WA started to regularly beat Victoria for the first time in decades. It also attendance figures rise sharply to the point where over 90,000 attended the Vic vs SA game at the MCG in 1989. But more and more as the VFL became the AFL in the 1990's and became a more national competition, Origin was seen as less important with the AFL premiership being the money maker.

Pity really.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7