Stand outs in Toyota under 20's Comp

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
By far the most influential in the team and will go along way is the half Daly Cherry Evans. While Keiran Foran gets all the plaudits this kid yesterday and consistently IS THE STAR: Evans is a crusher recruitment from QLD, I believe related to former lower grader JP Cherry

1. kicked short to absolute perfection, resulted in 1 pearler of a try just inside the goal line that sat up as well as at least 6 drop outs from the opposition

2. long kicking game:  made 40 metres but MORE IMPORTANTLY KEPT SPLITTING THE WINGER AND FULLBACK!!!! How wonderful to watch a manly player have the ball on a string.

3. Attack: hits beautiful timed passes, scored a cracker of a try when had to beat 2 players on the line.

4. Leadership: Directing the play beautifully, telling players where to go etc always involved ansd always looking to work something.

5. Goalkicking: hits it sweetly, 1 kick was a reverse banana that sailed thru, kicked on the 80th minute a penalty goal nearly 40 metres out which went over the fence!!!

Summary: Watch this kid!!! Only just turned 19!!! Cannot see why he cannot play NRL for us in the future, let's hope he is signed long term!!!

2. Kenny Edwards: big 2nd rower from Keebra park. I heard at start of the year he was training poorly so hope attitude has gone! Gee, on TV yesterday and he played a blinder!! Plays like hoffman, younger version of kidwell type, hits the line hard, reallly intimidating, played aust schoolboys and has the ability to go further.

3. Jarred Hargreaves: the big money signing from Waratahs!! doesn't look like a prop and will develop into a running 2nd rower!! I feel Des is "toughening" him up for his future. Doesn't shirk anything!! Will need 2 years before 1st grade though, very young with lots of potential!!!

4. keiran Foran: as mentioned in weekend tele!! extremely talented 5/8 but still a kid!!! He is only 17 and a half!!!! Great ball skill and play, great watching him play against much older kids, rememeber he could still be playing SG BALL!!! Plays like a lockyer type, inside/outside passes, nice kicking game

5. Lightning Mark Page: gun centre who keeps getting better and better. Comparisons to J Lyon, likes to run and take players on the outside, ran riot against the dogs, not that big but big potential.

Probables: winger Oconnell, big kid, like eric grothe, scored a cracker of a try, noxi: boom junior front rower who has slowed in progress, hoping he makes it, big kid but struggles against big players, is only 20 so lots of time yet
2nd rower: darcy lussick: big rangy type kid, plays like beaver and lurks out wide, terrible run of injuries but big chance if stays fit
hooker: jamie Buhrer: westfields kid, plays like ballin, good service from dummy half, like the look of him, too early to say though

All in all, this is where the money for kids has been spent, loads of potential in this team!!!  Do not worry about low position on table, very young and raw team, if they are around experienced players they will kick on.

I am not being biased as I have previously mentioned that 2008 SG Ball team is the weakest I have seen in 10-15 years of watching juniors. It is obvious that the money is being spent wisely on under 20's which are 2 years away from NRL

If you asked me ranking in order of NRL it would be
1. Hargreaves
2. Cherry Evans
3. Edwards
4. Foran

Is the youth cup worth the investment. Would we (and all other clubs) be better off playing the gun players in what was the old Premier League.

With the front row forwards being an exception it seems that of you have not cracked NRL by 20 years of age you probably never will, at least as an upper tier player.

You mention Hargreaves being toughened up. Would this not be better achieved in the PL against some older more experienced players?

I am not a fan of the NYC, the few games I have seen on Foxtel have not been of a great standard. Each team seems to have 3 or 4  players that seem capable of making in the NRL with the rest just out there for the glory (and good luck to them) of being part of a national competition.

gady Pete, Hargreaves did play abit of reserves but ended up back in toyota cup!! We really need to look after him, in 2 years he could be massive, Pete, I think reserves are a waste of time as majority are making up numbers

meaney, mortimer, neumann, nick bradley, halden, robson, moorewood, nasso, wells, jack a , trent rose

I understand where do we put players coming back, our Toyota team is only 18/19, need 2 years to make it

Certainly agree that there are plenty in PL just making up the numbers, but there are just as many in the NYC doing exactly the same.

The concept of the NYC is flawed. If it is to be an under age comp. 20 is the wrong age, particularly for forwards and there should be an allowance for maybe 3 "over age" players to be included.

At the end of the day we still have PL, Pete it appears your gripe is more the timing of when the games are played not that there is in fact a under 20's comp.

What age was the old Flegg comp 19 or 20's?

Think of it from a player's perspective. There are 17 in the game team and most teams play an average of 25 to 30 in a season. That means there are at least 8 players who don't play each week. What do those 8 players do each week to be kept active and still playing? Some clubs have no PL so they are playing for park sides with no chance for club input into how they are playing/developing. The only chance they have is to impress at training, which is very different. The interests of the outside team are very different and having a revolving door of players in and out are irritating. A Manly reserve team,  while faced with the same issues is still committed to doing the right thing by Manly.

The Under 20 comp was developed to save money (cynical view) and is based on the premise that many players either make it by 20 or never do. However, this goes against many examples of certain players maturing late (Craig Hancock for Manly was one!) and particularly forwards not hitting their straps till near 20.

Many would say that problems for Sonny Bill and Benji came around as they were playing with hard men long before they were physically developed and ready for the big hits after they stopped growing. Some have rubbished Manly for not rushing star youngsters but for mine I think they have been wise in bringing on players slowly and developing them till they are ready.

Watched the full game yesterday and agree with your assessment Darren.

Those players you mentioned were the names the just popped up constantly.

I was very impressed with Kenny Edwards yesterday and along with WH has great potential to crack first grade in the next season or two when injuries occur.

I don't like referring to JWH as such due to the reminder of some other reserve grader with the same initials who spent a lot longer in first grade than he should have!!!! :) :) :) :)

quick look at the stats

JWH 152m
Kenny Edwards 129m off the bench
Illijah Radan 143m at lock

gday Fluffy, its great that we have backs and forwards with potential, having 2 halves with loads of ability is a first for many, many years

edwards, hargeaves and noxi are the biggest kids we have had in a long time in juniors,

Does anyone know if the Bulldogs prop that played yesterday, John (??) Kite, is any relation to Brent.

Thanks darren for the updates, I guess timing is everything when it comes to talent - we have to hope these blokes (particulary the halves) will be ready to go when Orford moves in the next season or two.

In regards to the U20's lowly position on the ladder I have noticed that in at least three of their matches against the leading teams they have been in front with about 15 minutes to go but have been run over the top of. It almost happened again on Sat. which would have been a traversty with the effort they put in. This could be related to the relatively young age of the team.
The thing I like with them is that they don't seem to have trouble scoring points. As the season progresses and their match fitness improves I think they will move up the ladder.

Garts link said:
At the end of the day we still have PL, Pete it appears your gripe is more the timing of when the games are played not that there is in fact a under 20's comp.

What age was the old Flegg comp 19 or 20's?

To a point you are correct Garts, I would think that most people that go the game would prefer to be watching PL and the players that may be playing next week in NRL due to injury, poor form etc. Of course with TV running the game that is hardly likely to happen is it.

From the NYC games I have seen, either on TV or the couple of 2nd half Manly games I haven't seen too many players who are likely to break through to the NRL in the near future.

The players that are good enough should playing PL and the ones that are too young, ie 17 could just as easily be learning their trade in the old Flegg Cup.

I am not fussed either way if I watch PL or Under 20's before NRL.  I enjoy watching some of the young talent over players like Moorewood, NBQ etc.  However I would like to get a closer look at the ones who are fringe players like Afa etc.

watching PL is horrendous, you sit there watching very average footy from very average players in early/mid twenties with little hope of playing NRL. It's like sitting on nails watching Nick bradley at 5/8, how ordinary is this guy??? can't pass, hang on, great hospital passes, robson at mid twenties and 200 odd PL games sums it up, slow, predictable

them Moorwood or Deadwood lol chuck in George Rose's brother Trent who is there on George's name alone, james Mortimer the centre shocking player, little ability!! Sean Meaney looks all right until confronted with anyone with ounce of pace,

at least watching toyota cup you see genuine skill, kids with ability, what about Cronulla getting beat 48-10 by Moorewood, Meaney, nick Bradley and co, how bad does that sound  ::) :'(
imagine being a Sharks lower grade supporter  ;D Where's the Gap

Canteen Worker link said:
I don't like referring to JWH as such due to the reminder of some other reserve grader with the same initials who spent a lot longer in first grade than he should have!!!! :) :) :) :)
over my head CW can u explain
i hope u arent sayin John Hopoate????

as for reserve graders
i was giving it to Half Witt yesterday at skilled stadium hes a ****e defender still.

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=177410.msg183273#msg183273 date=1209286453]
[/quote]It's a subtle jibe - John Winston Howard who was Captain-Coach and playmaker of the conservative but solid Canberra Faders team that used to train on early morning walks and had Costello as fullback, Abbott as the hitman and Bronnie Bishop in the front row - scary that is!!! - playing in the GST Cup!!!

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=177410.msg183420#msg183420 date=1209389042]
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=177410.msg183273#msg183273 date=1209286453]
[/quote]It's a subtle jibe - John Winston Howard who was Captain-Coach and playmaker of the conservative but solid Canberra Faders team that used to train on early morning walks and had Costello as fullback, Abbott as the hitman and Bronnie Bishop in the front row - scary that is!!! - playing in the GST Cup!!!
[/quote]
hahah smart arse

what about the new reserve grader who has proven so far he isnt up to 1st grade at all and would rather a hit of 20/20 cricket :p KR i think his intials are hahahaha

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6