Spending the war-chest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mac

I can understand that we are losing both our star halves as they realistically just went to the highest bidder and Kelly was to the opinion that he wasn't going to spend any more than $800k-$1m a season for them. However why keep telling the media that we have this so called War chest to go out and sign the very best players when these two guys were the best in their respective positions. I have a feeling we are just going to sign absolute garbage and pay way overs for that garbage.

The more media attention this gets from Kelly's mouth and our war chest just means that no players will come to Manly unless we pay overs for them. Atleast when Des was in charge i can hardly think of any more than a couple of players if that at all, that we signed over the past 10years or so that we payed absolute overs for….

You can see what the roosters are doing in quickly re-signing their star players at the beginning of the season so their value doesn't go up further. Nappa/JWH have just signed, they will sign Roger TS….the list of decent players will continue to get smaller and we will be pressured in to taking the likes of Hodgkinson/Malloney/Carnery et al .

The last few years we have been really bad at signing whether it is re-signing or new players. Take Hiku as an example….instead of signing him earlier we waited ages til every club wanted him and had to pay a high price to keep him. I am glad we kept him but you see what i mean. The same will happen with both Tom and Jake….we will wait and wait and pay top dollar to keep them…

Manly need to come out and announce Matt ballin has re-signed this week. I would also have liked us to go after the roger tuivasa-sheck and dylan nappers of the world and even if we didn't get them at least the Roosters would have to pay up. It seems that every club is willing and enable to do that to us…..RTS is an absolute gun by the way and he wouldn't be a bad 5/8 option…...

Yes, the current administration seem to move at the same snail pace as Zorba's pained waddle.

Gutherson and the T2 factor need to be signed up long term. We do not want some dopey 'wait and see how they go' philosophy that seems to be in place right now.

Crack on Kelly. Hey, that could be his new nickname, or just CoK for short.

Without a gun player in the halves going to be hard to attract players to the club. What player would want to sign into a team that is going to struggle unless we are paying overs.

We are now in overs territory again, the money we saved in not re-signing the halves will be made up in several purchases paying overs on lesser quality.

Unless Manly make a "statement signing" of a quality half that shocks the NRL world and says "we are serious and back in the game" like a Shaun Johnson(for example) best we just sit back and recruit the next best up and coming halves build their profile in 2016/17 and hope we can attract players off the back of this option.

Manly is not an attractive option for players in the present climate, no quality halves, playing in 1970's facilities, a dwindling loss of interest fan base which will flow into a lack of corporate sponsors.

Manly has to rebuild in the same manner Hasler did in his first years using the same process/structures---a few clubs have already copied this formula. On top of this Penns vision of creating a great stadium needs to urgently get moving---this will help attract players to Manly and show we are a professional modern club to aspire to play for.

I do think the Penns selling off Manly Leagues shows they are serious in wanting to make things happen, getting rid of dead wood old school revenue streams with no growth prospects.

We now need to see something set in stone something that says "this is not a pipe dream the first bricks are being laid down now"

There's not a lot out there at the moment and the potential talent that is have stated they don't want to leave their current clubs eg Elgey. This has been a monumental stuff up. The Warriors are reportedly offering Tom Burgess $700 000 a season, so yeah it appears overs is on the cards. Well played Joe.

Without a gun player in the halves going to be hard to attract players to the club. What player would want to sign into a team that is going to struggle unless we are paying overs.

We are now in overs territory again, the money we saved in not re-signing the halves will be made up in several purchases paying overs on lesser quality.

Unless Manly make a "statement signing" of a quality half that shocks the NRL world and says "we are serious and back in the game" like a Shaun Johnson(for example) best we just sit back and recruit the next best up and coming halves build their profile in 2016/17 and hope we can attract players off the back of this option.

Manly is not an attractive option for players in the present climate, no quality halves, playing in 1970's facilities, a dwindling loss of interest fan base which will flow into a lack of corporate sponsors.

Manly has to rebuild in the same manner Hasler did in his first years using the same process/structures---a few clubs have already copied this formula. On top of this Penns vision of creating a great stadium needs to urgently get moving---this will help attract players to Manly and show we are a professional modern club to aspire to play for.
Yes, I have to agree. The key is for the club to establish a clear approach and to not waste time executing it. They have to be all on the same page, from management, to the retention team and coaching staff, along with the senior playing group. This will help stabilise relationships within the club (which we need), and as mention by TC, the plans for Brookvale need serious activity.

So, let the Penns focus hard on the ground and facilities upgrades and let Geoff, Kelly and the retention team focus on recruitment. Give confidence to the current playing group and communicate with the fans when there is something to communicate.

None of this is rocket science, it just takes a clear and focused plan with everyone concentrating on a single vision with each knowing their own role. GO MANLY!

The war chest!

nuts.jpg

Brookvale Park is a public facility via a Perpetual Trust by the Try Family.

Penn's can not build anything on it.
The Council will never approve anything that envompasses it, let alone a 20 story design. Pittwater Rd is the issue as it can't cope with traffic now.

The LC land is now backing onto unit blocks.
So the 3 story limit bldg will house a large number of small units as the Chinese Dvlp prefer 50sqm.

Brookvale Park is a public facility via a Perpetual Trust by the Try Family.

Penn's can not build anything on it.
The Council will never approve anything that envompasses it, let alone a 20 story design. Pittwater Rd is the issue as it can't cope with traffic now.

The LC land is now backing onto unit blocks.
So the 3 story limit bldg will house a large number of small units as the Chinese Dvlp prefer 50sqm.
It can still remain a public facility and upgraded to the vision if not then it is either SFS or bribe the locals lol----well ok at least consult and meet halfway.

Is the greater good for the area appeasing a few surrounding locals or maintaining a national sporting team that attracts people into the area on top of free advertising that "Manly exists in NSW".

If the locals want to maintain a selfish ownership attitude of keeping Manly isolated with no reason to go there other than the beaches then they can't complain when no effort is made to improve other local facilities and public transport as there is not enough interests/facilities to justify the outlay.

Funny how the people who pay the least tax as a proportion of total income due to tax avoidance schemes(talking the wealthy in the Manly district and in general) complain that not enough tax payer funded dollars are invested into the local area.(I'm kidding I know the Brookvale area is made up of middle income reasonably taxed people lol)

There can only be one reason for that. Looks like Toove's isn't part of the plan for the future.
Is Toovey "really" out of the loop? Didn't Joe say that he (Toovey) knew about the DCE and Foran things before he was blindsided on 360? What would you do if you knew something dynamite, and it was supposed to be hush hush, and, when you are being interviewed on national TV, you get ambushed?
I really cant believe that Toovey is not part of the process. Maybe he wanted to keep them both but Joe says "Geoffrey - this is how much we have to spend - not one cent more" I am sure that this happens everywhere. (maybe not at Parra and Souths though!!!)

Is Toovey "really" out of the loop? Didn't Joe say that he (Toovey) knew about the DCE and Foran things before he was blindsided on 360? What would you do if you knew something dynamite, and it was supposed to be hush hush, and, when you are being interviewed on national TV, you get ambushed?
I really cant believe that Toovey is not part of the process. Maybe he wanted to keep them both but Joe says "Geoffrey - this is how much we have to spend - not one cent more" I am sure that this happens everywhere. (maybe not at Parra and Souths though!!!)
Maybe - Tooves deserves the chance to build his team but not sure he will be given the chance.

I do think the Penns selling off Manly Leagues shows they are serious in wanting to make things happen, getting rid of dead wood old school revenue streams with no growth prospects.

We now need to see something set in stone something that says "this is not a pipe dream the first bricks are being laid down now"
Yeah I agree. And in a peaking market. The location severely limits what a buyer could do in that spot so the money they got -take that every day of the week!

Send a team of Manly officials to CQ to investigate a move here. The NRL are excited by the prospect of a team here. Let's undercut any new venture and relocate.

I think that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to make one little CQ fan (me) happy (2 if we count @marga , where is Marga? I haven't seen her for ages!!) is money very well spent!

Send a team of Manly officials to CQ to investigate a move here. The NRL are excited by the prospect of a team here. Let's undercut any new venture and relocate.

I think that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to make one little CQ fan (me) happy (2 if we count @marga , where is Marga? I haven't seen her for ages!!) is money very well spent!
Maybe she followed Choc
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8