Souths want James Packer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
John Lehmann takes a look at why South Sydney need gaming mogul James Packer

JOHN LEHMANN EDITOR AT LARGE
The Sunday Telegraph
January 25, 2014 10:00PM

KERRY Packer always said you'd have to be mad to put your money into football clubs or racehorses.

But if his son, billionaire gaming mogul James Packer, ends up doing a deal to buy Peter Holmes a Court's stake into the South Sydney Rabbitohs, he won't be doing it to line his pockets.

Like those racing tragics who chase the dream of winning the Golden Slipper with a horse they picked up for nix, he'll be doing it for the thrill of the chase.

The truth is that Souths is at the crossroads. If the Rabbitohs' revival is to continue, the club needs to find a well-heeled owner, sooner rather than later.

Click here to read the full article.

It's funny how Manly is continuously always being portrayed by the media as the only club that is supposedly so in debt and dysfunctional so it was interesting to read about South's dysfunctional owners being barely on speaking terms for at least four years and of their club's current debt problems.

When did Kerry jump off the Eagles bandwagon and go to Rorters...I remember being at a lunch in which Wally Lewis spoke of the time Kerry tried to sign them to Manly.

Frogz said:
When did Kerry jump off the Eagles bandwagon and go to Rorters...I remember being at a lunch in which Wally Lewis spoke of the time Kerry tried to sign them to Manly.
He wanted to sign Wally and Gene Miles too.

Frogz said:

He was never really a Manly fan, it was because of his friendship with Bob Fulton, I think Packer helped set him up with a chemical company that he now owns.
I think they did sign, but because the NSWRL wanted to expand into Brisbane etc, it allowed them to get out of their contracts.

Peter C said:
Frogz said:

He was never really a Manly fan, it was because of his friendship with Bob Fulton, I think Packer helped set him up with a chemical company that he now owns.
I think they did sign, but because the NSWRL wanted to expand into Brisbane etc, it allowed them to get out of their contracts.

They wanted to sign but their QRL contracts required that League to only match the offer from a NSWRL club, to retain them in Brisbane. As the deal with Packer/Manly involved more dollars than just the clubs sign-on fee, the QRL only had to offer a much smaller amount (Manly contract value) than Miles and Lewis would have received in total (incl additional payments allowable with no Cap at the time) to play in the NSWRL.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8